• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

A Dog's Life - 3.5/10. Well that was stupid. A short silent movie about a homeless guy adopting a puppy, finding some massive fortune because of said dog, and getting into slapstick shenanigans through sheer stupidity. Seriously, the attempts at comedy here are piss-poor at best, with all of it consisting of people losing all of their brain cells and acting artificially stupid. The whole conflict could be resolved in five minutes if people actually used their heads! Don't waste your time on this one. Just stupid all around.

Her Blue Sky - 7.5/10. A lot better than I thought it'd be. It's a nice, heartfelt story about coming to terms with your past and the ups and downs of adulthood, but pacing issues, lack of time to flesh out certain characters and subplots, and compressed structure make it feel like it'd be better as a TV series than a movie. Also, the present day version of the main guy is a huge jerkface who's needlessly cruel to the girl who admired him so much, and one other girl was just a shallow brat who didn't add anything to the movie at all.

A Whisker Away - 6/10. Man, I wish I could like this more than I do! A movie about an insecure girl turning into a cat to find love and affection from someone seems right up my alley!...but the writing and execution are just all over the place. The main character is annoying, selfish, and creepy, but the movie doesn't seem to realize this and wants us to sympathize with her and her inappropriate behavior, the other characters are bland, I wish the cat island had been explored more, and all sorts of things. At least the music and animation were great. But man, I really expected better from Junichi Sato and Mari Okada.

Last edited:
Terminator: Dark Fate 3/10 There hasn't been a reason to watch these since Judgement Day

Glengarry Glen Ross - Powerful character and dialogue driven thriller about salesman trying to make ends meet and come out on top - or be fired.

9/10

Steamboat Bill Jr--released in 1928, a hilarious comedy starring the legendary Buster Keaton, who plays William Canfield Jr, who is stuck between romancing his sweet Kitty King (Marion Byron) and impress his father, a macho steamboat captain who is unfortunately enemies with Kitty's father. Features some excellent gags, especially in the latter portions of the film.
Notable for featuring a very dangerous stunt where a building topples over onto Keaton but he escapes unharmed because of the position of the upper floor window.

9/10

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - 7.5/10. Eh, this one's okay, but not gonna lie, it really didn't age well. The characters except for Charlie and Wonka are one-note, you can tell the movie's props were made on a low budget, the Oompa-Loompas were little more than props used to espouse morals about raising children, and from what I've heard, it deviates from the original book a lot, to the point where Roald Dahl himself hated it. But for what it is, it's a decent little movie you can show to your kids if they're bored.

Misery - 9/10. Now this is a great one! Definitely one of Stephen King's better novels and one of the better movies adapting his books! All of the characters were great, the tension and atmosphere were impeccable, the acting was spot-on, and the pay-off at the end is amazing. Also, I love Buster, and not just because he's played by the late Richard Farnsworth, whom Canadian movie aficionados may know as Matthew Cuthbert from the 1985 Anne of Green Gables movie. I ought to read the book later on.

Swan Lake (80s anime movie) - 7/10. Nothing special. A cute little fairy tale romp that makes great use of Tchaikovsky's score. The English voice acting was really stilted, the sound mixing on the copy I watched was really inconsistent, the animation is good at points but laughably stilted in others...and the ending sucks eggs. No, really. The ending is awful. Not Ni no Kuni-level awful, but it's almost up there.

The Perfect Teacher (2010) - 8/10. Another surprisingly good Lifetime movie, this time about a popular girl who is madly in love with her male teacher, but he recognizes how creepy her obsession is. I found the main characters to be surprisingly well fleshed out, even the main villain, and her behavior is actually recognized for what it is and not glamorized or romanticized like most movies try to do. The ending was extremely satisfying, too.

The Exorcist (1973) - 7.5/10. My mom saw this when it was first released in theaters way back when, and it scared her so much, she told me she slept with the lights on for a whole month because of it. I remembered seeing the second half of it when I was younger, but never saw the full movie until now. Some of the effects are kinda cheap, but others hold up really well, and it had great cinematography and atmosphere fitting for the horror genre. But I do think several characters didn't have much presence.

Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs, 8/10. This movie was so adorable, I'm glad it's getting an official US release next month!

Time Trap: 7.5/10
A fun movie, with some parts that are really immersive, dramatic and intriguing, even if you know the reveal. It becomes a bit crazier on the second half with many new plot points that have awkward resolutions, but it's still satisfying to watch. I recommend this if you're a sci-fi fan who enjoys small-scale problems.

It's kind of a funny story: 5/10
What could have been an interesting and mood-lifting exploration of depression ends up being the typical story where a hero improves the lives of a community and gets a girlfriend in the process. Sigh, so much wasted potential, while the topic of Craig's depression is touched superficially I can imagine depressed people being confused by what the movie is trying to say. The pacing is also kinda slow, but it's picked up by fantastic montages and sequences who are the real heart of the movie. The relationship between Bobby and Craig is also endearing to watch, so I guess it's watchable if you don't think about it too much.

Ruby Bridges - 9.5/10. I have to admit, I'm surprised at how good this turned out to be, even more so that Disney of all companies not only made this, but didn't try to dumb it down or sugarcoat or gloss over the racism that was common during the time period. Everything about this movie was just so good!...though the music could get a little too sappy at times during the happy and light-hearted moments. A great movie all around, and a much more nuanced, less one-sided portrayal of racism than others of its kind, especially during the 60s, and especially by kids movie standards.

The Deadly Influencer - 5/10. This one is kinda...meh. On one hand, I liked the relationship one of the main girls had with her mom, and the two of them had good chemistry. On the other hand, the villain was woefully underdeveloped, and I wish we could have seen more of her. Plus, did they really have to kill off the best character by having her make a dumb decision? Not one of the better Lifetime movies, and those tend to be bad in general, with a few exceptions.

The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima - 7/10. I liked this one okay. The cinematography and costume designs are great, the acting was spot on, and while I can't comment on its accuracy to the actual events that inspired it, I appreciate how the producers managed to translate this into film format. But man, did they HAVE to make Lucia so weepy and whiny?! All she did was cry throughout the entire movie! Plus, some of the 50s music seemed a bit too overly happy at times, killing the mood, and I'm not sure what Hugo's purpose is, since he's a fictional character created solely for this movie. I heard there's a 2020 version of the movie out now, so I might watch that later.

Promare - 7.5/10. Goodness, everyone I know talks about this movie non-stop. After having seen it, it's an okay movie, if rather overwhelming in its presentation. But a lot of the CGI scenery didn't do it for me, most of the side characters felt like props, and the movie seemed to go on for too long. I mean, I liked it just fine...but would people kill me if I said I feel Promare is kinda overrated? I will say it does have a kickass OST.

Last edited:
Kidnapped By a Classmate - 6.5/10. It's...average, at best. It's fairly fine, even if it's a stock kidnapping plot. I do appreciate that the movie actually showed a healthy relationship between a mother and her teenage daughter, though I wish the side characters had been fleshed out more. But man, the sound mixing in this movie is awful! The background noises and music was louder than the dialogue, so I could barely hear what the characters were saying during the dramatic parts unless there wasn't any background noise or music!

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - 4/10. My dad really likes this movie and wanted me to watch it...but I don't like it. McMurphy was too much of a jackass for me to sympathize with in any way, the movie didn't seem to sell me on Ratched being the villain it tries to make her out to be, most of it just consists of the guys dicking around for no reason, and I just found it boring and overly padded out. Plus, the two women McMurphy dragged around with him just felt like props rather than actual characters. Sorry, Dad! I tried, but this just isn't for me.

Soul Surfer - 8/10. This was a good one. Not great, but definitely not bad. It's a pretty nice, if slightly trite and syrupy, biopic about Bethany Hamilton. I do like that they incorporated real footage of her in the end credits...though I do wonder how they managed to make AnnaSophia Robb look like she actually lost an arm, since she isn't an amputee. Was it computer generated? It had to be, as there's no way anyone could use clothing to hide a limb considering the movie's setting.

Scooby Doo And The Curse Of The 13th Ghost (7/10): Mostly a pretty fun Scooby Doo romp on an old forgotten show's concept, but a couple souring points hurt it overall. The opening frames the entire thing in a really weird way with how the gang just gets utterly lambasted. Like, playing up how difficult and potentially dangerous mystery solving is, sure, go ahead, but the way the movie frames it, you'd think the kids never got a single correct case in their lives. It's just weird. As for Asmodaeus, I'm not sure quite what I expected, but his design just doesn't really speak to me, feels kinda generic.
Also, for as enjoyable as most of the movie is, the ending just absolutely kills the whole thing. It's absurdly unsatisfying, completely unforeshadowed, and nothing actually ties together in any kind of neat manner. If you watch the movie do yourself a favour and just stop watching at around 12 minutes to go, just after Vincent explains Asmodaeus' deal, and just imagine the ending in your head, you'll come away from the whole thing way more satisfied.
Aside from the godawful ending though, it's honestly a very fun Scooby Doo quite close to the classic style. Big fan of the art style too, love those chunky lines.

Paddington 2 9/10: I never really read the Paddington Bear books as a kid, but the movies are one of my go-tos whenever I'm feeling low and I honestly don't know which I prefer, the first one or this one. There is certainly a lot more campy humour in this one thanks to Hugh Grant and he really revels in his role as the film's villain (he's been taking on a lot of villain roles lately). As always, Paddington is adorable no matter what situation he's in and his naivety isn't overplayed too much.

Last edited:
In The Time of the Butterflies - 7.5/10. Surprisingly good by TV movie standards. The conflict was compelling, the pacing was brisk but knew when to slow down when needed, and the movie definitely sold me on Trujillo's villainy and managed to make him not feel like a SatAM cartoon villain. However, the movie felt bloated with too many characters, as many of them felt shoved in and didn't feel like they needed to be there. Plus, the movie didn't seem to know whether it wanted to portray Enrique, the Mirabal sisters' father, as either a good, sensible father or a prick who just wanted to keep his daughters at home. One scene he slaps Minerva for taking back a letter he took from her, and the next the girls are all screaming over his imprisonment and waxing how good he is. Consistency, people! It shouldn't be that hard!

If Anything Happens I Love You - 10/10. An absolutely beautiful, moving, tragic animated short film about two parents coping with losing their daughter in a school shooting. Seriously, I hope this wins Best Short Film at the 2021 Academy Awards, and if it doesn't, some butts will be kicked! (Update: It won Best Animated Short Film! Woohoo!)

Fatima - 8/10. Another movie adaptation of the Miracle of Fatima, and it improves on a lot of things from the 1953 movie. For one, the music isn't as cheesy, Lucia is far less whiny and much more assertive and likeable, the special effects are much better, and I like how they didn't try to make the Lady of the Rosary seem ethereal by having her appear like a normal woman. That said, it does lose points for having a phoned in subplot about Lucia's missing brother and making Lucia's mother unnecessarily cruel to her daughter because of said subplot. I couldn't find myself to sympathize with her at all after that. Eh, fairly good, but could have benefitted from cutting out that subplot altogether.

Last edited:
Die Hard - 9/10: Classic Christmas movie. While this movie is one of those action hero classics it's pretty good with suspense since John McClane is the underdog since he's missing his shoes, gets injured a lot and generally under equipped to deal with a dozen terrorists suddenly showing up. The small scale of this movie is more of a blessing than a detriment since it keeps things more personal and in the end this is a movie about a man realising his flaws and trying to be better for someone he loves. We need more movies with these values in mind.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - 7/10: Watched this again with my siblings on Disney+. I remember being pretty obsessed with this film as a kid, namely because it was so different to Disney's other works at the time and for once wasn't a silly cutesy-wootsy girly musical (as I viewed many Disney films at the time). But then again, it's one of the reasons why it tanked at the box office and why Disney refuses to acknowledge its existence to this very day. Watching it again as an adult allows me to see some of its flaws, such as some historical inaccuracies. Also, the plot feels quite rushed, especially in the last half.

But on a positive note, I love the visuals and the character designs, which were done by Hellboy's creator Mike Mignola. The cast is pretty good (Cree Summer does a great job as Princess Kida and has even gone on to say it's one of her favorite roles, plus this was Jim Varney's last film before he passed away) and with the amount of deadpan and mild adult-humor-laden dialogue, it's clear they were trying to aim for a more mature audience. Quite a lot of it does fly over some kids' heads (we even had to turn the subs on to understand one of the characters due his thick Italian accent). I was actually surprised to learn that Joss Whedon worked on it as well.

Overall, it's not one of Disney's best works, but still enjoyable if you want something different from their usual fare. Just don't bother with the "sequel", Milo's Return, which was originally going to be a TV spin-off, but was axed when the main film flopped (there was also an actual sequel in development that got scrapped).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom