• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

The last movie I watched was Jingle All the Way, but I think I've rated that one here before, so I'll do the two movies I saw before that. :)

Super Buddies

This was a member of the Buddies series that I hadn't even known existed until I noticed it on Netflix. The Buddies discover five mysterious rings that grant them super powers and they must use them to stop an evil alien. The rings previously only existed in a comic book series, whose events turn out to have been real. This was such a cute movie, though not really my favorite in the series. 9/10.

Treasure Buddies

This came out in January of this year, I think, but I never got around to watching it until recently. It's also on Netflix. In fact, the whole Buddies series is there, so I've seen all of them now! :D Anyway, the lovable puppies venture to Egypt to find a treasure called the lost collar of Cleocatra and save one of their owners from a greedy rich guy. This one was totally awesome, I even found Babi the monkey cute! XD And I normally don't find monkeys and apes to be that cute. So this is saying something. 10/10 without a doubt!

Spirited Away
9/10
I love this movie. I had only seen it once when I was little and didn't remember much of it. I also had been wanting to see it so I was extremely glad when my art teacher put it on during exam week. Chihiro was an adorable character and I loved her caring for others. For some reason Yubaba's Bath House always gave an amazing atmosphere. It just seemed so relaxing. I would definitely see it again and was kinda wishing the movie wouldn't end. ^^

Paul
7.9/10
The film is funny and the characters are nice and Paul is really well made. However it isn't as funny as Shaun of the Dead or hot fuzz. However it is still a god film and Paul really works. If I were to put through another grip it would be one thing; how did the redneck (I assume he was a redneck) survive being shot in the face by the agent, and also how did Paul survive that crash?

Peter-No-Tail

Based on the Classic books.

Recommended for Classic cartoon fans

8/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2013

Good remake of the Classic movie.

7/10

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

9/10. Great action and stunts, stunning VFX, and a director who knows his material. And Smaug was PERFECT. Only drawback was making Radagast the comic relief, much like Gimli was in the first LoTR trilogy. He deserved more respect. Otherwise, a great time at the movies.

Roadside Romeo

Bollywood cartoon from 2008.

Those memories of when I was in AMV Contests.

South Park, Bigger & Uncut

Dated but still fun.

Red Riding Hood

Teen version of the fairytale.

Worth a rent.

The Flight Before Christmas

Those memories from way back then in 2008.

101 Dalmatians (Live-Action)

I give it 3/5. Just wasn't used to an adaptation that didn't have talking animals.

Turbo

Score: 7/10

Dreamworks is the Luigi to Pixar's Mario; always trying to prove themselves but falling short every time. Whereas Pixar has a long line of homeruns, Dreamworks seems to always be hit and miss. Sometimes, Dreamworks makes a truly great movie, like Prince of Egypt or Kung-Fu Panda, and sometimes they put out stinkers, like Bee Movie or every Shrek sequel ever.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, Turbo isn't in either of those categories. It isn't jaw-dropping or awe-inspiring, but it's not bad either. It's enjoyable, especially for a younger audience, but don't expect to be blown away. The story is your standard underdog tale with a unique spin on things; a common garden snail comes to attain the ability to move at breakneck speeds, joining up with a group of "racing snails" and seeking to prove himself. It's fun and light-hearted, and the casting is well done (It even has SNAILuel L. Jackson! Haha, get it? Because... he's a snail... I'll shut up now.)

At it's best, Turbo is a fun movie for audiences of all ages with bright, colorful visuals and a good, easy-to-follow story. At it's worst, it's predictable and lacks any sort of wow-factor. It's no Wall-E or Cars, but it's by no means terrible. It's cute, charming, and a great movie for kids; perhaps that's all it's meant to be.

Terkel in Trouble

Based on a Danish radio play from last decade.

Recommended.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Not the best movie of 2001.

The Smurfs 2

Just some silly and light entertainment from Rajah Gosnell.

Last edited:
Friday the 13th Part VIII Jason Takes Manhattan

Not so bad of a Classic slasher movie.

Everyone's hero

One of the forgotten animated movies of 2006.

Holiday season is always swell to watch some movies for free. Sadly I missed "Tintin and the Secret of the Lincoln", but I still managed to watch two others.

Bambi II

I was... confused by the timeline, to say the least, especially since I didn't watch the original Bambi. It was still easy enough to follow, and the visuals were beautiful. Story was a predictable and easy, but by suspending disbelief I was able to get a lot of enjoyment out of this one, just by watching the events flow. 6,5/10.

A Monster in Paris

The premise is weird - a flea attains the size of a large person -, and the characters are very cliché, but, again, the audiovisuals really helped making the movie better, and it had some neat storyline details - even a jacket made of hay had an use! While I'll certainly end up forgetting about details of the storyline and even the movie itself in the future, it was still a decent time waster.

6/10

Frances Ha

One of last years highlights.

10/10

Stuart Little

So 1990's but still entertaining.

8/10

A Troll in Central Park

Sugarsweet but nicely animated.

6/10

Cloverfield

Handheld camera horror in Manhattan.

The best movie of 2007.

9/10

Last movie I watched was ParaNorman, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good a movie it was. I'd say it'd be around an 8 or 9/10.

Splice

Horribly disturbing, but rather intriguing science fiction. I don't recommend it to anyone who gets easily sick with movies that show disgusting creatures (such as Aliens), but if you don't mind those, it's actually worth a try. It depicts genetics and evolution in an interesting way, so if you're into science, maybe give it a shot. It's got adult themes, but... idk, it's too related to the plot to skip over.

I'm giving it a 6/10 overall.

Godzilla

Most people know of the Godzilla character not through the movies, but simply because of how much of a cultural icon he is. Even when people do speak of the movies, the general consensus is that Toho's long-running franchise of giant-monster-beat-'em-up movies is cheesy, low-budget schlock (and that the 1998 American Godzilla with Matthew Broderick sucked majorly). Considering all the merchandizing that has raked in the profit even here in the Western world (such as the Atari 3D fighting games, which were mindlessly awesome testosterone romps that made their mark on my childhood experience with video games) and the fact that the director of the first Godzilla went on to cheese it up himself, willingly, in later releases, this stereotype exists for good reason. But today I speak of the very first Godzilla, released in 1954. It is markedly different from the franchise it spawned.

Godzilla is one of the simplest, yet most effective, metaphors in cinema. He is the result of nuclear weapons testing in the Pacific Ocean. He sinks ships, he lumbers into Japanese coastal villages and wreaks havoc before going back into the sea when he's had his fill of... destroying things, I guess. Why? Because it's a metaphor, what he sustains himself with is superfluous information. He exists solely to destroy. He leaves witnesses with radiation sickness. His "atomic breath" (as Toho Studios went on to name it in far less serious sequels) melts and warps whatever it engulfs. It's a very blunt, very obvious, very simple, and very understandable allegory for the use of nuclear weapons. It was released not even ten years after the USA attacked Japan with nuclear bombs. There's no escaping the metaphor. And you know what? I like that. This is a movie. It has an hour and a half to tell a compelling story, so it keeps things simple and to-the-point. The "giant monster = nuclear weapons" metaphor is hardly enough for a novel, or a TV series, or a play, but Godzilla is an extremely good example of cinema being used as an art form in its most uniquely cinematic way; simply and concisely.

Once the movie has established this central point, I was worried that the rest of its run-time was only going to chew the scenery and ram its message down my throat until I couldn't bear it any longer. However, I'm happy to say that it doesn't do that, at least not to the extreme that I envisioned. The movie actually steps back and introduces a couple new angles on the issue, such as Dr. Yamane's scientific interest in Godzilla, and Dr. Serizawa's Oxygen Destroyer, which has very well-drawn parallels to the invention that resulted in Godzilla in the first place. The best part is that the Oxygen Destroyer's undeniable metaphorical role as "that other super-weapon" is not laid on as heavily as the "Godzilla = atomic bombs" metaphor; it becomes obvious without coming right out and saying that it's a vicious circle of fighting fir with fire. In this way, it's a much more interesting plot device than I thought it was going to be.

Now, the movie isn't perfect. For example, the biggest problem I have with it; apparently "Godzilla" is a legend that people along the Japanese Pacific coast have been passing down for generations? How? Were there Japanese people in the days of the dinosaurs that remembered Godzilla before he turned into a mutated abomination? I doubt it. Nuclear weaponry is the first example of man creating something that could truly destroy the world and inspire some change in Godzilla's biology that compelled him to venture back onto the surface. How did he even live that long before the first nuclear test was performed? Thankfully this little sore thumb in the movie's plot is not touched on very much, but this leads me to the movie's faulty, hammy, unrealistic science; Dr. Serizawa's description of the Oxygen Destroyer is a bunch of science mumbo-jumbo that makes no sense if you think about it. Also see the unanswered questions I mentioned previously. Finally, the last considerable gripe I have is the special effects; they were nothing special, even for their time (the first demonstration of the Oxygen Destroyer is frankly, just lame and unimpressive), but considering how many sets the man in the rubber suit wrecks with the assistance of pyrotechnics, they probably had to spread the budget a little thin. At the end of the day, the special effects do their of job of giving visuals to the narrative, so it's not something that ruins the movie for anyone who appreciates the allegory.

(Also, Godzilla's original Japanese is Gojira. This is derived from gorira, meaning "gorilla", and kujira, meaning "whale". This portmanteau was obviously made to give the impression that Gojira is a huge, lumbering beast, but frankly, naming your metaphor for nuclear weapons "Gorillawhale" does not do the narrative justice. That's like referring to King Kong as "Manbearpig". Maybe Toho came up with names like "Oxygen Destroyer" and "Gorillawhale" to make the metaphor seem more dramatic in comparison, but if you go for that angle I feel you should disguise the metaphor a little, certainly more than Godzilla does.)

All things considered, I believe that this is an excellent film. It's an important, effective, well-paced, and well-told piece of cinema. I'd give it a 9/10.

Last edited:
Paper Soldiers 4/10

Really this movie isn't something I'm fond of at all. I don't like how it shows the protagonist named Shawn in trouble and resorting to burglary to support his family. And not only that, the burglaries were always done with different people, which lead to the group fighting and nearly getting themselves caught in the end. But really I think what I disliked the most was the cocky personality the Shawn had. So it really didn't suit my tastes.

One for the Money 7/10

Oddly enough this is a movie I was sure I wouldn't like because of it's slow start, but on the contrary! At first when the protagonist Stephanie Plum, starts working as a bounty hunter to rake in cash I laughed merely because I found it absurd. But when she chooses an old love interest for a target, the ridiculous things she does to get him to come to her amused me, I loved them in fact. Especially when she steals his car and he drops by for a visit which ends up with her stuck in her shower handcuffed. But what's nice about this movie is seeing her develop as a bounty hunter, that was the real charm that appealed to me.

So I guess overall with any movie that has a struggling protagonist, I adore the absurd and ridiculous. :p

Enchanted

Great combination of cartoon and live action.

10/10

Spider-Man

One of the highlights of 2002.

10/10

I just came back from watching Frozen at the theater! Hmm..I would give it an 8.5/10.

Back
Top Bottom