• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

Hercules
7/10
I find this one pretty average, but there is quite a bit here that I like. The character designs in this movie are really cool. They were done by the same guy who did the animation for The Wall. Who ever expected that guy to be working for Disney? Hades is a fun villain, and by far the best character in the movie. The muses are cool too. Meg probably would've been a better character if she had more to offer than just being Hades' lackey/Hercules' love interest. Everyone else is pretty standard. I think this is Alan Menken's weakest soundtrack, but there are still some good songs here.

Gothika 8/10

Enjoyed it a lot. Mainly because of the set up. Paranormal activity in a spooky mental asylum. It's got all the right ingredients. Wasn't as scary or atmospheric as it could have been and most of the movie is really dark. It's very hard to watch through the day when the sun is shining. Other than that, good movie. Would definitely recommend to fans of ghost flicks.

Drag Me To Hell
10/10 if possible 11/10

To date still remains my favorite movie. I could watch the movie over and over and not get bored.

That's how like my horror movies to be, seem realistic with demons and curses. I find the Zombie movies (like "Dawn of the Dead" or "28 Days Later") and Slasher flicks (like "Scream" or "I Know What You Did Last Summer") not scary at all, seem more like science fiction, seem to made up... I'll just turn off the lights and enjoy the movie [I'll probably watch it again].

Mulan
9/10
Here's a movie that nearly everyone likes, and I'm no exception. I think Mulan is one of the best female characters in the Disney repertoire. She's tough, she goes after what she wants, and she's an easy character to get behind and root for. I also really love her relationship with Captain Shang. You can see that they have a connection, but the movie doesn't end with a hook-up or a big damn kiss. That's unusual for Disney, but it makes this movie all the more awesome for it. Mushu is a textbook example of a comic relief character done right. He's funny, but he's still his own character and is useful to the plot. The only thing I can really complain about is the villain. Shan-Yu is intimidating sure, but there's not much else to him. Again, when everything in this movie is so great, that's a really small complaint.

A Bug's Life
8.5/10
My Pixar reviews will probably be short, because there usually isn't much to say about them. A Bug's Life is probably one of the weaker early Pixar movies, but it's still pretty good.

Tarzan
8.5/10
I've reached the end of the Disney Renaissance, and I'd say this is a pretty solid movie to end with. I really love the animation in this one, especially the lush backgrounds. Your mileage may vary on Phil Collins, but I think he wrote some nice songs for this. Clayton's pretty weak as a villain. Design-wise, he looks like the result of sticking Gaston and McLeach (from The Rescuers Down Under) in a blender. His death is pretty cool though. Has there been any other Disney character to die by hanging?

Transformers: Age of Extinction 8.5/10
Yes, Shia is gone so there is no Sam/Bumblebee interplay. NEST is gone too, but we're not told as to what happened during the five years between the events of Dark of the Moon and "now". There are some threads left hanging which was more than a bit frustrating and we're forced to wonder what was going on during that time period. Also, if you hate humans, you'll hate them even more while watching this movie. In fact, you might find yourself cheering Optimus Prime on when he says he's done and he's getting off the planet.

Biggest question: We hear about the Transformers' creators, but we're not told or shown who they are. Granted, it's a set-up for the fifth film but it does make me wonder where the Allspark fits in here. But all in all it's a fun ride. Kelsey Grammer is an excellent douchebag and Lockdown is ridiculously cool, especially with his gunface mode. Mark Wahlberg does his job well and he's a good, decent guy; a nice contrast to the d-bags we see through most of the film. And Bumblebee's fit over being knocked off? Priceless. XD

Oh and stuff blows up. But you kinda figured that. :lol:

Toy Story 2
9.5/10
The rest of Hollywood should take notes from Pixar, because this is how you do a sequel. The human animation is still awkward in some places, but again, that's a really minor flaw because this movie is freaking awesome.

The Lego Movie. (Rental.)

And it was awesome. The professional reviews are correct that it does get just a little metafictional near the end, but that's the only way the resolution of the story's main conflict can work.
Emmet falls out of Lord Business's skyscraper into the Abyss below it, and winds up in the real world where all the Lego worlds are revealed to be a large display. An 8-year old boy named Finn has been creating assorted models using the pieces and parts from the display, built by his father -- who is quite irritated to see his pristine sets messed with and taken apart to build a hodgepodge of things, and proceeds to start putting things back together with superglue. He stops when he notices some of the things his son has built in the process, including Lord Business being both "the bad guy" and an allegory for him. So while the son speaks his mind and his father reconciles with that, Emmet convinces Lord Business that he doesn't have to be the bad guy, and can join them in building a more creative world.

With that said, the father declares that if his son gets to play with the sets his younger sister does too -- cue a giant UFO in the sky beaming down some aliens from the "planet Duplo" who announce they have come to destroy everyone. Roll credits!

Guardians of the Galaxy

When I first saw the trailer for this movie, I had a feeling that it was either going to be amazing or terrible. In the last few days, people who had attended press and early screenings were filling social media with as much praise as they could without breaching their NDAs, which made me feel more optimistic about seeing the movie at a regional première.

Ultimately it was neither amazing or terrible - it's sat awkwardly in the middle. The film did have some big pluses, like Rocket Raccoon (who really steals the spotlight in every scene he's in) and some wonderful visuals. The world of Xandar looked incredible - both futuristic and yet realistic. It's also clear which scenes were filmed in London, which create a nice familiar feeling despite it canonically being a place we've obviously never visited before. The make-up on Nebula was also fantastic...although Ronan's was not as great.
The film is without a doubt the funniest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far but sadly, aside from jokes there isn't much to the script. Gamora has to be the most poorly written woman in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far, while Ronan is pretty much on par with Thor: The Dark World's Malekith (they're almost the exact same character to be honest). Drax's character is very one dimensional and pretty much every joke revolving around him relies on the same old gimmick. I can't fault Dave Bautista's performance of Drax though as to be honest, he was given very little to work with. I wasn't a fan of Josh Brolin's (admittedly brief) performance as Thanos though; I feel that his voice wasn't really "powerful" enough for a figure like the Mad Titan.

I think that the Guardians came together way too quickly (if I remember, within the first twenty minutes) and without going into details, the ending was an absolutely ridiculous ass-pull. The middle section of the film though, is home to some pleasant character interactions. One of my favourite scenes in the whole movie managed to blend comedy and sentimentality together rather nicely.

I also have to question the use of the word "a-holes" instead of "assholes" when the likes of "shit" and "whore" appear in the script on multiple occasions. Combined with that and a joke about semen, I find hard to recommend this movie as a summer blockbuster for the whole family (and it's a shame that those were really the only reasons). Although admittedly, the semen joke is one of those that would easily go over a child's head.

Personally, I would be fully behind a future movie that focused only on Rocket Raccoon and Groot as really, it was the rest of the cast that brought this movie down.

Luke (my ten year old brother) was much more enthusiastic and loved the movie, but I personally feel that it deserves a 6/10.

Here is my updated current personal ranking of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films (best to worst):
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man 3
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. The Avengers
5. Iron Man
6. Iron Man 2
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Thor: The Dark World
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Thor

Last edited:
Fantasia 2000
9/10
Thankfully, the end of the Disney Renaissance doesn't mean the end of good Disney movies. Your mileage may vary, but I think 2000 is a worthy successor to the original Fantasia. That said, it's quite different. It's a lot shorter and seems to be aiming for a wider audience than the original. Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I remember seeing it in IMAX as a kid and being completely spellbound. Rhapsody in Blue alone is worth the price of admission. The Firebird Suite is pretty great too, even if it's basically Bald Mountain lite.

Five Senses of Fear - 7/10

Weird movie. It's made up of 5 short films that all relate to the senses. The acting is a little B-movie at times, but it was still pretty good in a messed up kind of way. Some of them kept me pretty hooked, especially the last one which gives off some creepypasta vibes. A thing that bothered me though is that multiple characters from one film will appear in another, and that it's never actually explained why. Surreal trip.

Dinosaur
4/10
So, here's Disney's first attempt at a fully CGI feature, and it's interesting. The characters and effects are CG animated, but the backgrounds are live action. It's pretty nice to look at. The first five minutes are wonderful, but everything goes downhill when those monkeys open their mouths and speak. It's jarring to have these hyper-realistic character designs and backgrounds match up with these cartoony voices and, quite frankly, terrible dialogue. Other than the animation and a nice musical score, this movie has nothing going for it. It's dreadfully boring. The story and characters are generic to the point of why even bother. It's essentially a 90-minute tech demo. I'd just skip this one and watch The Land Before Time instead. It's basically the same story, except it's better written, animated, and paced.

Mulligans

The acting is just so weird, and as a result none of the characters really blended well together. Dan Payne was by far the best actor in the movie, in my opinion, but even his performance faltered at points, which made the whole thing especially disappointing. I also felt that certain parts of the movie were unnecessarily forced (like Stacey's reaction to Birdy's adoration for Jenna, and the conversation about this at the family BBQ), which led to some cringe-worthy moments throughout the film. The overall story of the movie was cool and interesting, however, and I think that really helps to make this movie watchable, it's just a shame everything surrounding the story was pretty mediocre at best.

7.1/10

The Emperor's New Groove
8.5/10
Well, this is a pretty unique movie for Disney. In fact, it's more reminiscent of a Looney Tunes short than a typical Disney movie. But hey, that's not a bad thing at all, because it's funny. It's really funny. I'd go so far and say it's the funniest movie in the Disney canon. The characters play off each other well, especially Yzma and Kronk. I especially love Kuzco's character development. He begins the movie as a jerk, and when the movie ends, he's... slightly less of a jerk. He's an unusual character for Disney and I appreciate that.

Yellow Submarine (1968)
While the soundtrack is sub par and the story seems to be mediocre the influential animation (one major example is Monty Python) is what makes the film worth a watch if you are a animation stan. I haven't seen their other films but this will likely top it by a long shot. I don't recommend this film to children though due to how psychedelic friendly it is in various scenes.
8/10

Before Midnight - 9/10
I wonder how different my viewing experience of the Before trilogy would be if I was older and had grown up with it, not knowing when the next one would come out or if there was even going to be a next one. Like the previous two films, Before Midnight features a lot of talking about love and life and so on, but the feel good, fairytale-like tone of the first two is replaced by something more mature and hard-hitting this time around. I was actually moved to tears at the climax, which was very heated. That's what great acting and a phenomenal screenplay do to you. The only scene I didn't like was the discussion at the dinner table, which seemed kind of staged compared to the naturalistic dialogue in the rest of the film.

Notorious (1946) - 9/10
I think this might be my third favourite Hitchcock now, after Rebecca and Psycho. What an ending. The only thing I didn't like was how Cary Grant's character was kind of an asshole, honestly.

3 Women (1977) - 9/10
Strange little film that needs a lot more love. It reminded me of Mulholland Drive and I wouldn't be surprised if 3 Women was an inspiration. It almost seemed like a horror film at times and the fact that the two leads (Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall) were in Carrie and The Shining respectively is kind of a bonus. Both their performances were great; it's like the roles were written for them.

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - 10/10
I always feel kind of stupid rating classics but whatever. Pitch perfect film, entertaining and accessible for the modern viewer, and I was surprised at how many little funny moments there were. I almost thought it was a black comedy at first. Norma Desmond's story is undeniably tragic but some of her character antics were hilarious!

Ringu (1998) - 7.5/10
This was my first foray into the series, never having seen the American remake The Ring. This film doesn't rely on endless jump scares (in fact there are hardly any at all) but instead relies on building atmosphere and focusing on the psychological aspects. At 98 minutes it doesn't overstay its welcome, and I was appropriately creeped out by the time it finished.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire
6.5/10
I think Atlantis is a fun movie, but I don't think it's a very good one. It has a big cast of potentially interesting supporting characters, but it doesn't really take the time to develop any of them. Plus, there are a few rather annoying plot holes. I appreciate Disney trying something different then their usual fare, and there are some cool action sequences and nice animation. If you're looking for a solid story or character development, this isn't the movie for it, but it still works well as a mindless action flick.

Lord of the Rings- The Two Towers 8/10 (Andy Serkis as Gollum is great. I liked Helm's Deep, except for the Elves.)

The Terminator: 8/10

Music rocks, really gets you thinking about the fate of humanity and its role in that fate, suspenseful, great action scenes, atmosphere is interesting as it's a blend of film noir with science fiction and slasher themes and Arnold as the Terminator is just menacing this thing would be horrifying if it was after you in real life which is awesome for the horror aspects of the movie.

Monsters Inc.
9/10
Good story, great comedy, fantastic animation, and overall just a really good movie. There's something really amusing about watching monsters freak out over a small child.

Lilo and Stitch
10/10
Words can't describe how much I love this movie. I loved it as a kid and I love it even more as an adult, mostly because I can really relate to Lilo. I was a weird kid growing up, and seeing a character just as eccentric as I was inspired me a lot. The writing in this movie is pitch-perfect, managing to be realistic and heartbreaking, and at times, hilarious.

Treasure Planet
9/10
Oh Disney, you had a great movie here. Why did you have to screw it over by releasing it against Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings? This movie definitely didn't deserve to flop. It's a really creative adaptation of Treasure Island, with excellent animation and likable characters. The animation of John Silver is especially cool, integrating hand-drawn and CG animation into one character. Plus, I have three words for you: steampunk space pirates. What's not to like?

Finding Nemo
9.5/10
Go back and read the first sentence of what I said about Monsters Inc. Another excellent entry into the Pixar canon.

Brother Bear
6.5/10
Brother Bear is cute but nothing special. It has some nice music and animation. The comic relief moose are especially pointless. Nothing else to say here.

Theodore Rex
4/10

Gave the movie a chance, thought it would be exciting, found it kind of boring, didn't even made me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom