• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

Unspeakable Acts - 5/10. It was okay for what it was. Nothing really special, though.

Mean Girls - 9/10. Finally got to see this again since Netflix took it off, and man, I'm still surprised at how good of a movie it is. Though was that scene with the chihuahua biting Regina's mom's boob necessary? Plus, the version I watched censored the words "retarded" and "gay" (Though they kept lesbian in for some reason). Maybe I should buy it digitally one of these days, since those don't censor certain words? Oh well. Still a great movie with lots of great jokes.

Ralph Breaks the Internet - 8/10

Gotta love all the memes referenced in this movie. And all the tropes. Also, I highly recommend you stay and watch till the end of the credits.

Shank is my new favorite character :D

Wizard of Oz (1939) - 5/10. Ehhhh...this one didn't age well at all for me, plus I felt it was really juvenile and overly saccharine. Also, did we REALLY need a song where the Lion sings about being king while everyone is waiting for the wizard? While I respect the impact it's made on popular culture as a whole, I don't consider it one of the best movies ever made.

Haikara-san ga Tooru Part 1 - 8.5/10 - Now this one is a winner, and is laugh-out-loud funny! Definitely one of the best anime movies I've seen in recent years, and one of the best shoujo anime I've seen. Seriously, if you're in the mood for a lighthearted shoujo comedy that doesn't make you cringe, watch this! Though it does rush through a crap ton of subplots in its final half (Which is because it's trying to adapt a years old manga that ran for less than ten volumes), it makes do with what it's got and is still a wonderful ride!

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer - 5.5/10 - I remember loving this as a kid, but watching it now...it's admittedly kind of dated. The stop motion animation is really herky-jerky (Kubo and the Two Stings raised my standards for stop motion), Hermey's voice is annoying, many of the characters are one note and very mean spirited, and the story itself is rather dated in the way it portrays its message of acceptance. But I still liked Rudolph as a character and the special itself is cute.

The Christmas Chronicles
8.5/10
Ridiculous, but fun. You kind of have to suspend your belief while you are watching the movie. Kurt Russell does a hilarious Santa. He's very snarky.

Bumblebee
10/10. Tons of humor and rather good emotional scenes, definitely a breath of fresh air from the normal Transformers Bayverse movies. Travis and everyone who worked on this did an amazing job, they should be proud.

Bumblebee
10/10. Tons of humor and rather good emotional scenes, definitely a breath of fresh air from the normal Transformers Bayverse movies. Travis and everyone who worked on this did an amazing job, they should be proud.
Wait, it's not a Michael Bay film?
*looks up info
OH.

It's a Wonderful Life - 6.5/10. So I finally saw this in its entirety. Some of the jokes were really stupid (Did we really need that part with Mary hiding nude in the bushes while George taunted her with her robe?) and some stuff didn't age well. But I did genuinely like the premise and the message of the movie was well executed. I can see why people love this movie, even if it is kinda cheesy at points.

The Shining - 4.5/10. Didn't like this one. I never was a fan of horror, and I never read the book, but even without knowledge of the book, a lot of stuff just doesn't make a whole lot of sense here. I didn't like any of the characters, and while the actors did do a great job in this, I wasn't sold on the movie.

Moana - 7/10. It was cute. Really formulaic and predictable, though. I did genuinely like the twist with the final villain, though.

Last edited:
Dog of Flanders (1997 anime version) - 10/10. A true masterpiece that I'll never not love with every fiber of my being. THIS, my friends, is my personal gold standard for movies as a whole.

Wait, it's not a Michael Bay film?
*looks up info
OH.
Finally got to watching Bumblebee
9.5/10
My God. It's been a while since I left the movie theater feeling pleasantly surprised and satisfied. After that trainwreck that was Transformers 5, I was skeptical about a Bumblebee origins movie, but I was not disappointed.

Coco - 8.5/10. Wow. A lot of my friends really like this movie, and after watching it on Netflix earlier, I can see why, and it's popularity is 100% justified. I do think Imelda's a bit of a scrooge who lets her personal biases get in the way of reason, but this movie was very good. I still like other Disney movies more, but I'm glad I saw this one.

Last edited:
The Circle 6/10

Thank you for reminding me of one of my biggest fears and of the stupidity of some people while using social media.

Wish Upon 4/10

Was this supposed to be a horror movie?

The Ten Commandments (1956) - 9.5/10. It's super long but super great. Yeah, the acting can be rather Victorian and melodramatic at times and some parts drag, but I thought everything else about it was incredibly well done. I do like Prince of Egypt better, but TTC is still great in its own right.

Ralph Breaks the Internet - 3.8/5... or 4/5.... or.... 3.5/5. Eh, still pending

Yeah, I only watched this recently, so my opinions on it are still developing, so...

So far, I like it. The scenery is gorgeous and even inventive at times, and the new characters are fun... but I have plenty of gripes about it.

Most especially, the fact that the moral of the entire plot is almost practically the opposite of what the original Wreck it Ralph was about. Vanellope basically gave her own game the middle finger and left it permanently, unlike how Ralph embraced who he was back in the original movie. I feel that Vanellope got off way too scot-free here; Ralph of course gets rightfully chewed on for breaking out a deadly virus as well as his petty reasonings, but nobody in the film sans Ralph himself call out Vanellope for basically going Turbo for Slaughter Race albeit without the obvious intrusive nature that Ralph and Turbo took on. Okay, while I've grown to have a more cynical view on the Be Yourself moral; the way this film disregards its influence on the original film bugs me, and its a shame cuz' otherwise I think Vanellope's little princess song to herself is fun and the Slaughter Race people are fairly likable. Plus, I could see some justification for Slaughter Race to be able to transplant Vanellope just fine in the end because its an MMO and those update frequently.

On the plus side: no twist villains, thank god. Evelyn Deavor from Incredibles 2 was such a predictable and stupid villain that she never really stood out more than Syndrome.

The Ten Commandments (1956) - 9.5/10. It's super long but super great. Yeah, the acting can be rather Victorian and melodramatic at times and some parts drag, but I thought everything else about it was incredibly well done. I do like Prince of Egypt better, but TTC is still great in its own right.
I might need to watch this again. They put this movie every year around Easter where I live, but I never had any chance to put attention to it. I might do it this year.

Quick thoughts on a batch of 2018 films under the cut:

Widows - 7/10
Solid thriller, captivating and intense throughout even though it juggles a few too many storylines. Apparently this kind of flopped at the box office. How do you fail to sell a HEIST film starring VIOLA DAVIS and LIAM NEESON written by the author/screenwriter of GONE GIRL???

Can You Ever Forgive Me? - 7/10
I quite liked it! An understated drama and sympathetic character study about a very flawed person. I would like to see Melissa McCarthy in more dramatic roles as she kills it here.

The Favourite - 8/10
Witty, fun and surprisingly moving. Will definitely be watching again -- I missed a lot of the rapid-fire dialogue because my audience couldn't stop laughing.

Bohemian Rhapsody - 1/10
A two-hour corporate advertisement that looks like it was edited on Windows Movie Maker. Also depicts Freddie's ~gay lifestyle~ as the cause of all the band's problems while making his straight bandmates look like saints. Why.

Roma - 5/10
My thoughts on this can't be summed up in one or two sentences.

Bumblebee - 5/10
Pretty standard action movie, but the central relationship is cute and Hailee Steinfeld is a wonderful actress.

Blackkklansman - No rating
My initial impressions were mildly positive, but certain criticisms of this movie have gotten me thinking. I'm going to shut up and listen for this one.

Thunder Road - 6/10
An uplifting tragicomedy. This was based on the short released in 2016, which I highly recommend (and which you can watch legally here). The feature film is good too, but I prefer the punch it packs as a short.

Beautiful Boy - 2/10
A feature length anti-drugs PSA crossed with a music video (the director seems to be showing off his eclectic music taste every 2 minutes). Timothée Chalamet is pretty good though, I think I understand the hype over him.

Destroyer - 4/10
Generic cop drama. Come for Nicole Kidman's grade-A ACTRESSING.

Back
Top Bottom