• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

I Am Somebody's Child: The Regina Louise Story - 7.5/10

I have this weird, morbid thing for stories about children who were abused and facing adversity for some reason. Always did, even as a kid. Wanted to watch this for a while, and it did meet my expectations, so I liked it. I did feel the abusive foster families were glossed over, though, and some characters were just there to be mean, nothing else.

To Kill a Mockingbird - 9/10. Yeah, I will admit, this movie is pretty good. The acting is superb, the music is very atmospheric, and THANK GOD the movie cut out Alexandra and reduced Ms Dubose to a cameo. I hated those two in the book. My dad says its his favorite movie ever, and I can see why it's so revered. This one deserves its popularity.

Mirai - 7/10. Not one of Hosoda's best IMHO, but still pretty good in my book. I actually didn't hate Kun and his constant tantrums as much as I thought I would, and this is coming from someone who tends to hate kids, especially kids like Kun. I guess part of it is because I knew what I was getting into. Some parts of the initial premise do ring a little false to me, but it does have a lot of heart, so I'll give it that. Still prefer Summer Wars, though.

Sixteen Candles - 2/10. Ugh. Absolutely terrible. Worse than Breakfast Club. It's little more than a bunch of sexually depraved people who get off on being complete jerks to each other and treating girls like objects to be won. The Asian character is an offensive stereotype, the characters are all bland and despicable, the premise is poorly executed, and I just wanted the whole thing to end. This movie has NOT aged well, and I don't think nostalgia can save it, either. Don't watch this. It's absolutely not worth it.

Avengers Endgame (2019) - 7.5/10
Overall, a very satisfying finale to the famous franchise, with good action, epic moments and well-developed character arcs that go from beginning to end while all that action is happening. However, it's not without its flaws, as it has many plot holes and contrivances. I would've liked to look deeply into the effects on the snap, and the second act drags a little too long and complicates things a lot. Also, it's less thematic focused than Infinity War.

Justice League vs Teen Titans (2016) -7/10
The plot is a bit too complicated to be handled in what was apparently these Titans' first adventure, so character development is a bit rushed and I'm not sure if Damian learned his lesson about teamwork. However, the characters are fun and have great interactions between them, and the league superheroes have good roles too. It's worth watching for a fun adventure.

Loev (2015) - 6/10
The movie is very slow, specially at the beginning and many scenes don't have much of a purpose, with some characters behaving differently in many scenes. But it's a nice reflection on what a toxic relationship actually is and how you should not use people as an escape.

Aladdin (2019)

8/10

Spoilers about the movie
They expanded upon the animation Aladdin story so there's a lot more information that ties scenes together. Jasmine gets her own solo - which is GOOD. I liked Will Smith as the Genie, and I liked that addition about the Genie turning into a human when set free.

I hadn't seen any spoilers or trailers about Jafar so I was really looking forward to see how he was going to appear, and personally... he felt out of place. I did like his mystic persona and his back story about him being a thief before becoming the sultan's adviser (providing a reason for him recognizing Aladdin's potential). However, I guess it must have been me expecting someone much older like animation Jafar (and broadway Jafar - but I think broadway Jafar was animation Jafar's voice actor anyway...) and since the movie mentions that Jafar has been the sultan's adviser for many years, Jafar should have been older. And there was no 'Prince Ali Reprise' where the animation Jafar sang as he revealed 'Prince' Ali's disguise. I did like how he used his magic to make Iago a monstor parrot.

Last edited:
Searching (2018) 8/10
Great mystery, thriller which most computer geeks with a few years under their belts will appreciate.
;)

Mowgli: legend of the Jungle.
7.8 out of 10.

This Netflix exclusive interpretation of the Jungle Book was easily the closest ever adaptation to the source material, which I'm pretty sure was their intent. The motion capture technology didn't really work though.

Shadow on the Wall (1950) - 8/10

As an older black and white movie I, obviously, loved it. I've actually seen it once before when I was younger but didn't remember too much of it, so I finally got the chance to watch it again when it was on TCM today.

It's about a young girl, Susan, who witnesses the murder of her stepmother, Celia, at the hands of her [stepmother's] sister Dell, but her father, David, is falsely accused of murdering her and put on death row. A psychiatrist, Caroline, helps Susan try and remember the events of the murder after Susan, in her shock, develops amnesia from the event. We start to see Dell getting paranoid, not wanting to be caught for the crime she committed, so she starts to take her clothes she wore on the night of the murder and throw them into a river (inside a bag with an iron to help it sink). She also tries to kill Susan by putting poison in her chocolate milk at the hospital but that fails. She admits her guilt though at the end, when Susan recognizes her shadow on the side of the house (the same shadow she first saw in her bed during the murder), because of this David is now free and reunited with his daughter.

The reason for Dell murdering her sister? Celia was having an affair with her own sister's fiancé. David knew of this too not long after he came back home from the war, by seeing Celia in the same car as Dell's soon to be husband and both of them kissing. Personally I definitely recommend this movie for anyone into older films and psychological thrillers, it's also based on the 1943 book Death in the Doll's House for those interested.

X-Men, Dark Phoenix - 5/10
Well, it feels like an X-men movie, as the characters behave how you would expect them to after what happened in Apocalypse, and some even go through some very welcomed changes and it has nice pacing. However, it's more bleak than the other films, there are almost zero moments of fun, and the ending doesn't make it clear what they wanted to do with Jean and is a bit rushed.

Murder Mystery - 7/10
The beginning is rather weak, as the main characters aren't exactly appealing and it's rather boring. But once the mystery begins, everything flows in a great way, with a cool climax, and at the end everything makes sense. It feels like watching a stage play.

Brightburn 8/10
Kept me interested all the way through, however with the way it ended It seemed like there should be some kind of ending that's missing.

Detective Pikachu - 8/10. Okay, I will admit, it was actually pretty good.

Millennium Actress - 8.5/10. I saw the new English dub of this in my local theater last night, and it was also very good. I wasn't sure if I'd like this, but I did. The ending song is really, really catchy, too.

Detective Pikachu: 10/10

I am not being biased on the rating, this movie was something I truly enjoyed. This movie was dubbed by me as one a fantastic masterpiece, and there are no words strong enough to explain the feelings and enjoyment this movie brought me. It made me laugh, but it also made me cry. Nonetheless, it was all around spectacular, and that’s an understatement if you ask me, because it was just that good. Since the release of this movie on May 9-10 (it varied by location) I have completed it start to finish three whole times, and have collected a variety of favorite sayings and funny lines from the movie completely.

Breakthrough: 9/10

This film was very moving, also emotional, and I thoroughly liked this one a lot.

Okko's Inn - 8.5/10. Damn this movie is underrated but so, so, so good! Definitely way better than the TV series and one of the better kids movies overall. Not sure why I didn't mention it before.

Killer Caregiver - 6.5/10. Yet another Lifetime movie. Not bad, but could have been better, and the villain is yet another psycho holding a grudge over a genuine accident that was nobody's fault. I will give it extra points for having a reasonably good depiction of an autistic child, something which is still rather rare in mainstream media as a whole.

My Neighbor Totoro: 9/10.

One of my favorites from Studio Ghibli, along with Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Castle in the Sky. A much better film than the one it was released with, Grave of the Fireflies. It's a nice sweet film about two girls moving into the country and realizing their house is haunted. However, if it was any other studio, i feel like this will become a horror film. Ghibli didn't do that. It was heartwarming and sweet, and when Mei can be a bit bratty, it makes sense because their mother is in the hospital. No wonder this became one of the most famous animated films. It doesn't have a villain or anything, just like Kiki's Delivery Service, which i do enjoy a bit more than Totoro, (and the english dub of Kiki is the best one because Phil Hartman as Jiji is absolutely perfect) Totoro is still a cultural icon and is great.

Gladiator - Somehow took me this long to watch this, but yeah, it's real good. It's an interesting point in cinema technically where all the indoor / close shots look all sharp, modern and high def, but the outdoor panning shots are still notably grainy.

Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers / Return of the King - So I watched Fellowship way back in the day, at the cinema I think, and enjoyed it well enough but never got around to watching the other two. They're still pretty good, although I couldn't help notice the major battle at the centre of both films follow identical beats (heroes small in number but well fortified; villains vastly outnumber them but are in the open; the walls eventually fall and it seems all is lost; but a breakaway small group have successfully convinced a fantastical army to step in and save the day at the last moment). Otherwise, the Frodo / Sam / Gollum story is really well done. There's bits of both films that feel like entirely inconsequential filler, almost like a level in a video game - arrive at area; defeat area foe; leave area; little of consequence gained or lost - but generally the pacing's good. Yeah.

The Dark Crystal - So this one I'm pretty sure I did watch at some point before now, but it was so long ago and I was so young at the time I could barely recall anything about it, so this was basically a fresh watch. And hey, it's real good. Not my favourite of the Jim Henson works (that would definitely be Labyrinth), but the puppet work is wonderful.

The Lion King 2019 6/10. The visuals were great. I'm just glad my favorite song (Be Prepared) was put back in it, (albeit heavily altered.) I really liked some of the scenes they added to make this remake longer, of the original 1994 version is still vastly Superior.

Invader Zim - Enter the Florpus
I aatched it with the Latin Dub and it was amazing.
I felt it could have been more bizarre or crazy, but it was a solid movie. Still, Minimoose was the best part on it!

X-Men Dark Phoenix: 4/10
Really not a good movie. Sure, it was pretty, and I enjoyed it calling Charles out as not the best person sometimes, but that's about where my praise ends. It felt both drawn out and incomplete at the same time, I didn't feel like I'd actually watched an entire movie at the end. The villains were also absurdly boring, no personality to a single one of them, and the only context we actually get for them is a quick story about a busted planet that they want the Phoenix Force to fix, which may or may not have just been a lie to gain Jean's trust the entire time, so basically zero.
Nothing about this movie left me satisfied at the end.

Back
Top Bottom