• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

Dr Sleep - I went in having not read any reviews and with rather low expectations. As a fan of the original, I was interested to see how the story was continued and built upon. Although not on a par with its predecessor, I thought it was a superb film and well worth a watch. 7/10.

The Aeronauts

7/10

I went to see this with my family and was initially skeptical, despite reading good reviews. It was actually not bad. There are a few scary moments and it's definitely not one to watch if you're afraid of heights, but has some nice visuals and that typical old-fashioned Victorian flair.

I don't know if these count as movies, but I made an account on Disney Plus and watched three of the super old Silly Symphonies.

Steamboat Willie - 5.5/10. Yeah, as much as I appreciate how it laid the groundwork for Disney and animation as a whole, there isn't much to it. It has zero plot, and all Mickey does is put people on a boat and use animals as musical instruments. I thought the scene involving the mother pig was rather mean spirited, too. This one really shows its age, but it's still an interesting piece of history.

The Goddess of Spring - 8.5/10. Definitely one of the better ones! It's basically the story of Persephone being taken to Hell and then going back every now and again, starting the change of seasons. The animation was great (Except for Persephone looking all rubbery when dancing), the songs were very good, and I like how it was one of the very early examples of an animated musical.

The Ugly Duckling - 8/10. Another good one, though for different reasons than the above. We all know this story, read or saw some adaptation of it at some point in our lives. I've seen a few in my lifetime, though I think this one had the nicest ending and wasn't as grim and hopeless as others I've seen. Though I will dock points for all the duck noises being really annoying, but that's about the only flaw I could find.

Last edited:
Dawn of the Dead (Original)- 10/10

You can't go wrong with a classic, and in my opinion, the best zombie movie that Romero did, plus the practical effects still hold up today.

The Shape of Water. A stunning film in many ways, but especially in terms of cinematography and characterization. 9/10

Frozen 2
8/10

Reasons in spoilers
Gorgeous animation. There are callbacks to the first film which is amazing. Also, bonus points for Panic! At The Disco being the singer for Elsa's Into the Unknown. Really love both versions.

The one thing I didn't like was Kristoff's music video. I appreciate the humor but the silliness didn't really fit well in that moment.

Frozen 2
8/10

Reasons in spoilers
Gorgeous animation. There are callbacks to the first film which is amazing. Also, bonus points for Panic! At The Disco being the singer for Elsa's Into the Unknown. Really love both versions.

The one thing I didn't like was Kristoff's music video. I appreciate the humor but the silliness didn't really fit well in that moment.
Brendon Urie was in that movie??? Please tell me he uses his normal voice, "High Hopes" was kinda disappointing with the auto-tune.

Brendon Urie was in that movie??? Please tell me he uses his normal voice, "High Hopes" was kinda disappointing with the auto-tune.
He sings the pop version of Elsa's song Into the Unknown and it comes on when the ending credits start. I don't know if the song has done any auto-tuning but it sounds good to me.

The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind - 8/10. Really good! I'm surprised I wound up liking this as much as I did. All of the actors played their parts amazingly. It's not very suspenseful, but considering how the true story turned out, does it really need to be?

The Miracle Worker (1962) - 9/10. Okay, not gonna lie, this movie was pretty good. I'm not sure I can say anything about it that others haven't said already.

The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales

9/10

I saw this film two years ago with my brother as part of the BFI Film Festival and after watching it again, I completely forgot how hilarious it is. The animation is gorgeous, with it being all-digital emulating a traditional hand-drawn look like the comics it's based on, and the characters are brilliant, with its anthology format suiting it down to the ground.

My only criticism of this film is the English dub, though this is mostly due to having seen it in French with subs first. While it uses a lot of big names in British comedy, I feel it lacks the charm and wit of the original French voices. Still, if you love animation and looking for something a bit different, then I'd recommend this.

Last edited:
Knives out - 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed it, not as funny as I thought it was going to be though, a sort of cross between Agatha Christie and Columbo. Rian Johnson clearly can direct a decent movie and there wasn't really any snipes at Star Wars fans as I think some were expecting.

Ana De Armas is beautiful.

Frozen 2. Rating as a whole? 6/10. But imo, the beginning is 4/10, the end is 9/10. I just mentioned elsewhere, MIXED bag of a movie.

No One Would Tell (2018) - 7/10. I only noticed this because I watched the 1996 movie years ago. I have foggy memories of the original, but the remake is fairly decent. I thought the actors gave good performances, and it doesn't hesitate in showing just how horrible domestic violence is. I did find myself liking the friend character Nikki. I kinda wish we learned more about her background.

Kase-san and Morning Glories - 7.5/10. I know this is an anime OVA, but it was treated as a movie in Japan, so I'm gonna call it such. In stark contrast to the above, Kase-san is much more lighthearted and sweet, with great animation and decent character development in its short, one hour runtime. It's not gonna win any academy awards any time soon, but it's a sweet romance that's thankfully void of dumb cliches and pointless drama. The ending is kinda cheesy, though.

Killer Mom - 4/10. Bleh, not one of the better Lifetime movies. Evil mom wants to reconnect with the daughter she gave up because she wants the daughter's inheritance money and attempts to kill anyone who gets in her way. Cliche story that's been done too many times before, bland characters who barely have any lives outside of all the drama going on around them, sluggish pacing, and any suspense the story tried to set up was poorly done. Don't bother with this one.

Death Note 2: The Last Name (6/10)
Not a bad movie, but probably not up there in interest either. I haven't fully seen the anime yet, so I've been watching the live action films (and for the most part, it's the same as the anime, at least to my knowledge). It's been getting me hyped for watching the anime for sure, but otherwise, it was an okay movie. Probably wouldn't watch it again, but like I said, it's made me more interested in the anime.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. 5/10.
It hits too many of the same story beats as the original trilogy, and basically leaves the world in the same place it was at after Return of the Jedi. I want sequels to shake things up and add new things, this just played it waaaay too safe. For an example of how to do this the right way, I say check out Madoka Magica Rebellion. All in all, a lot in this film just felt very... unearned. The bad guys had a huge army just because the writers wanted them to be intimidating, the three main characters are a trio because we expect a trio in the movie, and Kylo Ren’s redemption falls flat for me when they never properly illustrated for me why he wanted to be evil in the first place. It had a very “art by committee” feel to it to me, so when it’s bad, it’s bad in a BORING way. At least when the prequels were bad, they could be hilarious. Which reminds me: if you ever find yourself rewatching Episode 1, turn on subtitles. They phonetically transcribe everything Jar Jar says and it’s incredible.

Klaus - 8.5/10

A great animated film that deserves all the praise it's getting. It's a simple but fun and well-executed origin story that will take you back to your childhood when you watched animated Christmas specials talking about what Christmas really means. It does have a couple flaws though:
-The villains are very one-note and should have gone through a redemption arc.
-Jesper and Klaus' friendship should have received a bit more screentime as it felt more like a master-student relationship. The ending could've been more powerful that way.
-The climax is pure Mood Whiplash as it has comedy, despair and surprise crammed in 3-4 minutes.

But outside of that is a very engaging story with also amazing animation.

Thor 8/10
A good standalone film. I saw Avengers first before watching Thor so its good to know what the heck was up with Loki.

Avengers Age of Ultron 6.5/10
It was fun to watch, but not as much as the Avengers.

joker

7.5/10

my sister has been raving about the new joker movie since she saw it last year, finally I watched it too. I quite liked it. I can relate to this incarnation of the joker in certain ways.

Back
Top Bottom