• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Rate the Song

This was an interesting one, given how it mixes its rather extensive devotion to the whole “game” motif by use of chiptune sounds (given, of course, the song’s title and surface lyrics) with some sense of pop sensibility, in the sense that it doesn’t sound far too removed from something I might find on the radio. Not that I still can’t really make heads or tails out of it, or have much of an opinion on it besides, “OK, interesting!”. At least through sheer novelty alone, though, I can definitely say that this song is a “win” (<- not sorry, by the way; haha!) 7/10.

I posted this song below a while back on the video game music thread, by virtue of it being written by a video game composer (Tomoko Sasaki), being possibly featured in at least one game (Phantasy Star Online Episode III), and definitely being associated with at least one (the Roomania series). Let’s see how it does here!

(Also known as “Where is Smiley?”. An alternate link can be found here.)

Ah, nothing like that unmistakably 80s sound there, back when it seemed like everyone was in love with synth. I’m not really a fan of that sound, but this was a surprisingly catchy take on it, even considering the potentially dark lyrics (depending on just how far you want to take the metaphor, or perhaps not-so-much metaphor). 7/10.

This song was originally associated with a video game — Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, to be exact — as its (semi-) main theme, but it can also be taken as more or less its own song. And so:

Unfortunately, it didn’t elicit much more than a shrug from me, perhaps because it didn’t seem to go into as much of a climax as you’d expect for a song with that kind of title. It could also stand to be longer, maybe. Not bad otherwise, but nonetheless: 6/10.

I happened to watch Cardcaptor Sakura for the first time today and fell in love with its opening theme (“Catch You Catch Me”). So naturally I should post it in the anime song thread so that I can share the joy with everyone else except that, oops, I already posted something there today before watching! So have a chiptune remix of the song here instead:

This is actually a song of hers that I kind of like, mostly thanks to its energy and empowering lyrics. Even if there’s only so many times I can hear its title over and over without eventually getting tired of it, though. It’s the kind of song that I wouldn’t mind listening seriously to if it popped up randomly somewhere, and if I’m in a especially vulnerable mood, I might actually dance a little bit to it, haha. One of the better pop songs of its time, I think, although most of Lady Gaga’s singles are quality stuff even if, again, I don’t necessarily like them all of the time. 7.5/10.

A pop song from me this time! And a synth pop one from the 80s, at that. Surprising, yeah? Not usually my thing, but there are always exceptions:

I’ve never really been much into dance-pop music, but I can respect this. It has quite the catchy beat, and I think that out of everything I enjoyed the processed auto-tune vocals most of all (something that I don’t usually enjoy in music that much). I can also appreciate its lyrical intentions (which apparently had a major positive impact on the LGBTQ+ community and especially the trans community in particular, an always wonderful thing). Overall, 7/10.

A chiptune version (with vocals!) of a certain important theme of the same name from a certain game:

Apologies for the wait, haha. I guess, anyway. It seems that it really is just the two of us on this thread now, huh? With that said, on to business…

The vocals and percussion have their moments of catchiness, but I actually kind of preferred the moments where their presence was absent or minimized, as I feel that it opens up the song a bit more which the resultant shift in focus to the more interesting backing melodies (or what I believe to be such, anyway). The song also ends just as it’s starting to hit its stride in setting a mood, which is unfortunate. An instrumental of this could be interesting, I think, but as for what’s here: 6.5/10.

Here I have probably one of the most emblematic songs of the holiday season, or at least to me it is. This time of year always has me thinking about it:

There’s also great emotional capital associated with the extended jazz instrumental version of it, I think:

Feel free to rate either or both.

I really wasn’t able to make heads or tails out of all of that, actually, even after reading the lyrics (a necessity in my case, with the vocals being rather strongly drowned out by the music). Perhaps the cover art of the single release might explain what kind of image they were going for here, and perhaps I shouldn’t say any more, haha. I couldn’t really make heads or tails of the music either, although in that case it at least captured my interest, even with its ultra-distorted and honestly rather weird soundscape. Overall, 6/10.

A final holiday-related song to close off the old year with? Again from A Charlie Brown Christmas:

I really wasn’t able to make heads or tails out of all of that, actually, even after reading the lyrics (a necessity in my case, with the vocals being rather strongly drowned out by the music). Perhaps the cover art of the single release might explain what kind of image they were going for here, and perhaps I shouldn’t say any more, haha. I couldn’t really make heads or tails of the music either, although in that case it at least captured my interest, even with its ultra-distorted and honestly rather weird soundscape. Overall, 6/10.

A final holiday-related song to close off the old year with? Again from A Charlie Brown Christmas:

8/10. A very nice song to listen to while washing the dishes for instance or just relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom