• ME fishes up some trouble in Mt. Coronet. Watch here as he slogs his way through the snowy Routes 216 and 217.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Rate the video game music above

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
Sounds prettier and more peaceful than some might initially expect from the likes of Dark Souls. Calm before the storm, perhaps? I wonder if the people who played this game when it first came out had any idea what they were in for while listening to this?
That aside, this actually reminds me a bit of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon's "character creation" (personality quiz) themes, probably because of the use of strings and bells in both, as well as a similar "calm and peaceful theme before an epic adventure" thing that they both kind of have going on. 8.5/10.

(Note that it's split into two parts.)

phenomenon
Reaction score
8.5/10 the first part sounds a bit like Touhou SA's stage 5 theme (or rather, it should be the other way around in this case lol), but my favorite of this track has to be the second part when it kicks in; sounds like things got slightly serious but not enough to feel apprehensive over.

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
6/10 I like it well enough, but I feel like the vocals were overpowered by the music.

Standing Out
Reaction score
8/10
Nice fun piano melody, but I kinda wish some of the background instruments were maybe a little more pronounced

disgusting.
Reaction score
10/10
I haven't been in this thread for ages, so let's kick things off with a song from a series I've been getting into recently: ace combat.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Jx76vSTk

and what better way to do that then including the magnum opus of the series' composer, showing the intensity of former wingmates and best friends fighting to the death for the fate of the world as the other is prepping for a full on nuclear holocaust to rid the world of territorial boundaries.

incorrectly sitting on a couch
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be played in an "All-Or-Nothing" scene in some sort of movie or something.
Super epic, I understand why you would call it the composer's "Magnum Opus"
10/10

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqbEE2G0T0&t=159s

And what better way to make that kind of contrast than put in the Battle Theme of everyone's favorite Cheese Boy, Pannacotta Fugo, who was written out of the story because he could basically best every other character in his part in a fight.
but then again he's a fan favorite and he has his own one-shot novel so...

disgusting.
Reaction score
9/10 though historically I've always been a fan of battle themes over field themes in JRPGs, cosmo canyon is so iconic it gives my personal favorite of the original GSC version of goldenrod city a big run for their money.

now let's shift gears into the other conspiracy laden japanese society game by sega/atlus (the first being persona obviously) yakuza/like a dragon.
normally the series has a clan of superbosses unlocked by beating every other sidequest who are assassins called the amon clan, they are characterized by stopping at nothing to kill the series protagonists (mainly kiryu) even if the protagonists all have a no killing moral code despite 3 being ex yakuza and one being a still active loan shark for instance. this even extends to the fist of the north star spinoff, where clan leader jo amon fights kenshiro only to realize kenshiro isn't going to spare him even if his personality is close to kiryu's. come the spinoff Judgement/judge eyes which deals with a super cop rather than an ex yakuza in a strange role reversal, they have a new never before seen amon who is a nutcase even by the clan's standards, and whereas normally amons act like a mirror match of the protagonist you fight them as, shin instead relies on dirty tricks such as depriving you of a pause menu and therefore healing, using lightsabers with projectiles that heal or hurt you depending on the fighting style you're in and his lightsaber's color, and dropping the game's framerate on purpose to the point he's called mr framerate by series fans. all this gives a feeling of something being... off about this guy's relationship to the clan if any

and what better way to drive that point home than a song that has a record scratch 10 seconds in and a lot of clashing instruments and genres from there on out?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjWaZCAhbFs

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
I can never get tired of 8-bit music, especially from the likes of Shovel Knight. What else but... 8/10.

Yet another Atelier opening below, but this series seems to be really, really good with them (and with music in general), so:

disgusting.
Reaction score
8/10 I still wanna get into atelier

everyone seems to be talking about this new thing known as tiger king, but that's crazy talk, there can only be one real tiger king, and it's the king of muay thai who is most known for being the organizer of the first world warrior tournament
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKEVzmb2SqQ