• ME fishes up some trouble in Mt. Coronet. Watch here as he slogs his way through the snowy Routes 216 and 217.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Rate the video game music above

disgusting.
Reaction score
8/10 I wanted to get this for my vita when it was new, thanks for reminding me I never did, now I have something to spend my quarantine money on!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EttRzq_T2Uk

what was one of the most underrated songs in Persona 4 gets a remix courtesy of the guy who sung the raps in P3, lotus juice, and he turns the dissonantly serene but actually creepy song and runs with the concept with reworked lyrics that give the same point of letting your true self go unchecked for too long leads to the person doing something stupid as a last ditch effort for help but with it being a lot more apparent..

Given power
Reaction score
8/10. Lotus Juice Persona rap is always good. Not the best he's done though.

This is the battle theme from a SNES RPG nobody on this board has ever heard of that Youtube keeps recommending to me for some reason. I have no idea what it's about, but it opens with an MGM Lion Parody, it apparently has multiple branches to the story depending on the statgains/lessons you take, and from a gameplay video you fight book-reading angel babies in a cave at one point early on.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWni8c1X2Ms

disgusting.
Reaction score
tbh I think I have heard of this game, you'd be surprised at what games gets fanslations when looking at the dark depths of the hacking community (like the japanese chocolate mascot noobow has a mario clone that has a fanslation for instance, and then there's a dragon quest parody for famicom disk system that was fanslated but qualifies as... a certain genre only japan would think of putting on a game for no real reason)
either way 7/10

while on the note of japan only games that aren't the usual suspects (shin megami tensei, fire emblem, dragon quest, touhou, super robot wars, etc) how about some love for this obscure spinoff of the yakuza/like a dragon series, which is called the black panther duology by fans as it follows a professional boxer with that title as he returns to the ring because of circumstances beyond his control... all the while making some ties into the main series.
View: https://youtu.be/KUbJMiy5Ch8

disgusting.
Reaction score
9/10 mokou's always a good pick.

I'm going to go out on a limb and post a pure memetastic song now

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ok5AV7ZrM

and this one will make you regret saying "not the bees" as it will make you rethink your stance on the bee's knees. and don't tell me you don't like it, or buzz off before I give you a stinging feeling.

okay that's enough puns for today, I'll leave that to ME :p

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
This was posted here before, wasn't it? It's not exactly something you can easily forget; how can you? Aside from me wondering how they were able to get voice samples to sound that good on the N64, I'm surprised by how legitimately good this is vs. how completely ridiculous it should be. It's quite addictive once (if?) you start getting into the beat; I actually listened to the full two and a half minutes without getting bored with it! Not bad for a song that otherwise sounds kind of silly in context (if the cover art is any indication of what to expect). 7.5/10.

EDIT: Oops! But in any case, more Shovel Knight music is always fine with me. Not much for me to say on such short notice, so let's go with... 8(-bit)/10.

I wonder what kind of music someone who's never played Etrian Odyssey would expect from a game with such cutesy anime artwork? Well...

Last edited:
Given power
Reaction score
4/10. Probably something that fits better in-game with ambient mood than for listening. Sounds more like a nightmare too.

Now here's another one of them weird Japanese games Youtube was recommending me the OST of. This one slightly more notable, it's called Last Armageddon. This game easily lands in the top 10 most insane RPG plots I've ever seen, and by proxy you. I'll just quote Wikipedia:

The humans, who breathed the toxin-filled air on Earth's surface, became one with the Earth and kept dissolving. The history of humanity ended and dominion of the planet returned to the demons. These mutant creatures did not depend on oxygen to survive. Therefore, they were able to breathe the air and use the land. Meanwhile, an army of robots wage World War IV against the demons in order to conquer what is now known as Makai - the Demon World. These robots came to the planet on a wave of energy that created an explosion that turned the world into a wasteland. Much later in the game, concurrent themes including Adolf Hitler, war, creating a perfect race of people, and the destruction of humanity in the year 1999 are revealed to the player inside one of the robot's main bases.

Can the demons gain dominion on the humans' old planet or will robots impose a millennium of logic and dictatorial force throughout Makai?
It is also a pretty mediocre video game at best, but the OST is another story. This battle song has 716k views on YouTube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf7DQcJRDtw

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
There's nothing quite like the early days of CD-based video game music, and this sounds very much like its era in a good way. It's easy to see why people like it so much (although I'm sure that the legend of the game's... interesting premise probably helped to some extent too, haha). 8/10.

Fangame music below, apparently based on an actual song:

"This is the Monado's Power!"
Reaction score
5/10-Yeah, that beat sounds like it shows up everywhere, so sounded "common" for me.

Note: This is a remixed preview song from the upcoming XenoBlade Chronicles Definitive Edition, if you don't want to be spoiled for the new tracks do not click on the spoiler.

Here is an alternate track if you don't want to listen to the first one, or just want to listen to both anyways.

Standing Out
Reaction score
Xenoblade Song: 9.5/10 Real good, I like the melody and it's always changing up at least a little bit so it never gets boring to listen to
Moon River: 9/10 Bayonetta music is always fun and bombastic

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
Pretty cool — and strangely appropriate-sounding for its title — if not entirely distinctive from songs with a similar music style, at least for me. 7/10.

For those of us who still visit the 3DS (or Wii U!) eShop:

phenomenon
Reaction score
I just realized that I haven't even gone into the 3DS and Wii U eShop in a good while. Anyway still catchy in a good way, 7.5/10.

So I'm sure I've posted this track a while back in the thread, but I'm posting it again alongside the FE Premium Arrange II album version:

The vocal version from the mentioned album: