• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Rate the video game music above

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
The first few seconds reminded me a bit of Tales of Phantasia's music, of all things, up until the other elements started to come in. Actually, this doesn't sound too far removed from SNES music in general, which is interesting — from a certain point of view — considering that it's the PS1's sound chip that's closer to the SNES's legacy than the Saturn's sound chip. But it's probably just similaries in instrument choices here, especially the drums and string-like instruments. In any case, I've always liked RPG songs from the 16- and 32-bit era that use instruments like those, and this particular song is no exception. 8.5/10.

From Saturn to PlayStation, you could say... Atelier Marie again (you'll be hearing a lot of music from that series here from this point forward, haha):

As before, help yourselves to a re-arrangement as well:

Black Rabbit
Reaction score
5/10 I have no real strong feelings towards this series or it's OST since I've only played like 4 games but this track feels lacking to me. Maybe it's cause this series OST's almost never sticks to me but I'm not really feeling this one either.

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
It's a bit too meandering in the melody for a singluar musical piece, but it does sound as ominous and foreboding as one might expect from the title, so I'd imagine that it would sound much better in context. Nonetheless, 6.5/10.

Those who are very familar with Etrian Odyssey soundtracks might also be familar with the music in this particular track:

the wrong ash(e)
Reaction score
I like the melody. The instruments are well used and don't clash with each other. Sounds like something straight out of a Mario Game, which it is.
8/10.

I recently got into the Metal Slug series, and I think it's a nice little gem.
This is the Final Boss theme of Metal Slug 5, which is arguably my favorite version of the Final Attack theme found in most of the Metal Slug games.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgWczIMjfo&t=53s

Being another SNK title, this Final Attack theme is also included in challenger pack #4 of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate alongside Terry.
So that's cool.

disgusting.
Reaction score
I like the melody. The instruments are well used and don't clash with each other. Sounds like something straight out of a Mario Game, which it is.
8/10.

I recently got into the Metal Slug series, and I think it's a nice little gem.
This is the Final Boss theme of Metal Slug 5, which is arguably my favorite version of the Final Attack theme found in most of the Metal Slug games.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgWczIMjfo&t=53s

Being another SNK title, this Final Attack theme is also included in challenger pack #4 of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate alongside Terry.
So that's cool.
10/10 agreed and can’t wait for the fan remake of this particular metal slug either
View: https://youtu.be/af9pTcq5uSo

Impressionist Bakuphoon
Reaction score
It's arguably a bit repetitive in some ways, but it's also surprisingly catchy and addictive despite that (even if it feels just slightly short, too; it even sounds like there's more to it at the end, maybe). 8/10.

Another re-arrangement of the same Atelier Marie song I posted earlier on this page, except this time with vocals:

Super Mooderator
Reaction score
I kinda dig it honestly, definitely something I could hear myself enjoying during a game! Reminds me of games of my childhood too :eek: 8/10.