• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

Oof, unfortunately ninja'd.

Luckily, I re-listened to Twilight Princess' OST the other day, so this one is still fresh in my mind. It's not my top favorite track but it's up there compared to other Hyrule Field themes, it always felt "stronger" to me, in a way if that makes sense. It certainly makes you think of Link and Epona getting ready for an adventure, which is a plus in my book. 8.5/10

Last edited:
8/10. Can't go wrong with a bit of ol' Langrisser soundtrack. I heard they remade the original duology a couple years back, is it any good?

Anyways, this might be cheating a bit. But I really think that just posting the original 8-Bit OST of the "Aria di Mezzo Carattere" from Final Fantasy 6 would not do it enough justice so I plumped for a live session instead.

I swear, Nobuo Uematsu really might just be the Mozart or Beethoven of our generation. Imagine just causally writing multiple pieces of opera music to put into a scene for a SNES game. :lapras:

Hmm... I'll give it a 6/10. It's well-written, no doubt about that. And it's pretty cool that it got an operatic arrangement. Opera isn't exactly my taste in VGM though, so that's why it isn't higher. Don't let my opinion let you down, I can see why you like it.

For my contribution, I present Undertale from Undertale.

The build-up is my favourite thing about the theme.

(Reviewed above: “Normal Battle” from Pokémon Conquest)

It’s kind of hard to judge how good of an actual battle theme this is without knowing that much about the gameplay, but it’s certainly not lacking in the ability to get you pumped up for something exciting! If that’s indeed what you could call Pokémon Conquest’s battles. The pulse waves in particular are an inspired addition, even as that as some of the other elements can get to sound kind of “busy” when they’re all playing all together at once. But overall, not a bad “normal” battle theme at all! Makes you wonder what the other battle themes in this game sound like. 7/10.

(Posted below: “The Sacred City of Adoulin” from Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin)

I didn't really play this one too much because I was so far behind everyone by the time I got it, that and it was kind of hard at times too lol. Regardless this track is pretty and does have that mystical feel some FF towns/cities have. I don't know most of this installment's OST but if it's similar to this one, then I might listen to more of it later. Plus, this specific track sounds like it's also from SAO: Hollow Fragment and Realization, and that's great imo. 8/10

8/10 desert themes in Zelda are always pretty good imo, and this one is no different. I especially like how this theme gives off that ancient civilization feel, it's an epic told in music. It sometimes makes me wish that other games with desert areas that have a similar ancient background would take notes from Zelda (FFVII being the other example that does it right as well, with Cosmo Canyon).

10/10
MY BLOOD! IT'S MELTING!! Melting from the awesomeness of this track!!! I honestly don't think I've heard this kind of energetic piano backed up by a rhythmic guitar before? And I like how the lead instrument changes as the track goes on, with the piano fading out for a bit before a... Violin? I think? Comes in to replace it.

How 'bout something on-theme for the forums for a change? Something classic.

(Reviewed above: “VS Team Magma/Aqua Leader” from Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald)

Most definitely a classic villainous team boss track, although I actually prefer their underlings’ theme to their own, haha. And as glorious as those horns are, the GBA does hold things back at least slightly as per usual. Nonetheless, 7.5/10.

(Posted below: “A New Hope” from Musashi Samurai Legend)

7/10 I may not remember this specific track, but it's not bad. Kind of gives off a Kingdom Hearts feel to it, though that's probably also because of Nomura's artwork on the cover.

Time for a track from my third favorite SRPG (also a bit of Solatorobo's theme is in as well):

(Reviewed above: “The City (Day)” from Xenoblade Chronicles 3)

What an appropriate title for a city theme, haha. In any case, the tempo is a bit slow for my tastes if I’m taking this as a standalone song, although I’m sure it contributes a lot to the atmosphere of, ahem… The City itself. Meanwhile, the vocals and the strong string and acoustic instrumentation did keep my interest throughout the entire six-minute runtime. It kind of makes me wonder what the night version is like, actually! With that said, 7/10.

(Posted below: “Inferia Map” from Tales of Eternia)

(Posted below: “Inferia Map” from Tales of Eternia)

It definitely sounds super fitting as a map theme. The melody isn't quite something that would get stuck inside my head, but it's definitely pleasant to listen to. I rate it a 7/10.

And now I present to the thread, The Gardens from LittleBigPlanet (It's an interactive theme that develops as you progress through the level).

7.5/10 I'll be honest and say that, admittedly, I wasn't expecting much from the track after seeing what game it comes from, but I was actually surprised at how fitting it is and great it sounds. I especially like it at around the 50 second mark where the chorus picks up, and the strong drum beats definitely add to it. Certainly a nice grand theme for Gods.

Back
Top Bottom