• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

(Reviewed above: “Homecoming” from Xenoblade Chronicles 3)

It’s hard to get a full emotional attachment to a track like this without context, but as far as sheer musical grandness goes, it certainly lives up to the weight of its title. The flutes especially work well here with the expected orchestra backing to give it that majestic yet often times gentle feel, the latter of which is probably the most unique and effective part of this piece, I think. 7.5/10.

(Posted below: “Great Turquoise Zone (Act 1)” from Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit, a recently finished fan game.)

7/10 I like this iteration of Ganondorf in the series, but the theme isn't my favorite. That said, it at least fits in with the rest of Wind Waker's soundtrack, with a slight whimsical and serious mix that's generally hard to pull off.

(Reviewed above: “Labyrinth—Yggdrasil Labyrinth” from Etrian Odyssey Nexus)

Ah, the one that I prefer! While Kushiro’s own revisit of that classic Etrian Odyssey tune from so long ago is pretty solid, I think that he got beat at his own game with this other arrangement of the song on the very same soundtrack, haha! My opinion of the two arrangements of the same classic Etrian Odyssey tune on this soundtrack has changed over time, I think. While this one lacks some of the percussive power of Kushiro’s Nijuhachi Haneda’s version, I really enjoy how Kushiro’s own version here goes all-out with that beautiful choral work, which just envelopes the entire soundscape and gives it an epic atmosphere that feels rather perfect for the composition. Kushiro’s Haneda’s arrangement is more intimate in comparison with its heavy acoustic focus, which is again a pretty solid approach that has its merits and actually accomplishes some things that this arrangement doesn’t. That said, this one just feels… right to me, I don’t know? I suppose that it all depends on what you’re personally looking for with a song like this. In any case, my preferences lean just towards what this arrangement has to offer, and so with that said: 8/10.

(EDIT: Turns out I was acting kind of silly here: this is Koshiro’s arrangement! The earlier arrangement that I was talking about is actually Nijuhachi Haneda’s; oops. I guess that the greats really aren’t beaten at their own game so easily, haha. I’ve edited things here accordingly, although my opinions and rating still stand.)

The below is actually an arrangement of multiple songs from Final Fantasy XI (“Memoro de la Stono”, the vocal portion of the base game’s opening theme, and “Distant Worlds”, the ending theme for Chains of Promathia, one of its many expansions) that doesn’t actually appear in the game(s) proper. But having heard it for the first time just a few hours ago, the impression it left on me has pretty much guaranteed its appearance here anyway, haha. So let’s see how it does here!

(Posted below: “Memoro de la Stono~Distant Worlds” from Distant Worlds: music from Final Fantasy)

Last edited:
7/10 I remember a bit of the opening vocals for XI (even then it's mostly thanks to Theatrhythm I'm reminded at all lol), but otherwise the rest is kind of lost on me, as mentioned before, I didn't get very far into playing FFXI due to playing it late and being behind everyone else. Overall though it's fine, pretty much what you would expect from Distant Worlds concerts, as a symphony orchestra works very well with FF music in general. I only give it a seven though since the series also already has tracks similar to them anyway, so it tones my excitement and expectations down somewhat even though I love orchestral music.

Back
Top Bottom