• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

8/10. Wonder who the composer was...

Following on from my last post.
When it came time for the last DoDonPachi game to be ported over to a console release, they went all out with the music - a new arrange specifically for this port, and a CD was included as a bonus for the limited edition. All the music in SaiDaiOuJou itself pays homage to the rest of the series, especially that of DaiOuJou - fitting as the game's premise is a parallel universe to that of DaiOuJou.

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou is the last known arcade release from CAVE, and the name of the game itself - transliterated as "A Most Blissful Death" - reflects its status of releasing into a dying SHMUP arcade market... Only time will tell if CAVE is ready to develop new SHMUPs and continuations of their danmaku franchises - and whether or not they'll follow up on their joke of a SaiDaiFukkatsu. As Hardcore Gaming 101 puts it...
If nothing else, remember what DonPachi and Tsuneki Ikeda taught us: "Dying is good."

Michi (Stage5) -Arrange- / Yoshimi Kudo
DODONPACHI SAIDAIOUJOU ARRANGE ALBUM

With that, it completes all the SHMUP stuff I wanted to show you guys! Time to search for some new material...

I will admit, I also have a soft spot for this song because HGSS were my very first Pokemon games that I owned in the main series. 9/10.

Okay, while going to find this song, I discovered something I didn't think I'd see anytime soon - Bayonetta going the pachislot route. Exclusive to this version of Bayonetta, there's a lyrical version of one of the most notable battle themes from the original game - Red and Black. Check the description of the video for the lyrics - done as best as the uploader could.

Red and Black (Lyrics)
Pachislot Bayonetta

A majestic piece for a gem lost to the ages... Though I hear that the RPG in the series is even more rare - in the US, anyway. 9/10

Since my previous draft got erased, I'll switch it. I'll probably go back to that other one later, but for now, let me ask you.
Are you familiar with Tekken and Ridge Racer's composers? Well, you might be surprised to hear, but these same composers lent their talents over to Pac-Man - a particularly fast version of Pac-Man, as a matter of fact. While the original game only had one piece of music, the series that has become known as PAC-MAN Championship Edition has seen a fair share of awesome music from the likes of Taku Inoue, AJURIKA and Hiroshi Okubo among other familiar names from NBGI - this complements the gameplay, which is fast, frantic and very stylish. Arguably it's the best version of Pac-Man out there today, and definitely one for the hardcore arcade score attackers out there.

Last September, the latest entry in the series - PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2 - came out. With it came a new set of songs, alongside the ones from the original CE, CEDX and CEDX+. There are four versions of this song, but I'll only show you three since the last one is just a simple minute-long version. To explain why there are several lengths of these songs, they're adjusted depending on the length of the course you're playing! (Edit: And yes, before you ask, there is something different added to each length - it's not just a loop over and over for a specific amount of time.)

Without further ado, here's Pac Jump Up!

Pac Jump Up! (3 Minutes)
PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2

Pac Jump Up! (5 Minutes)

Pac Jump Up! (10 Minutes)

Spooky stuff will come later in the month. I honestly don't know what I want to send to theme for October.

I will admit, I didn't expect it to start out in the way that it did. And the way it continues... is also weird. I guess you could call it a new beginning for the involved character? 8/10.

So, on the 4th of October this year, I received a package. Dude, this soundtrack kicks so much arse. So to celebrate, allow me to show you one of its songs!

戦場 明日を掴むは死闘の先 【通常バトル 後編】 / 古代 祐三
世界樹の迷宮V 長き神話の果て オリジナル・サウンドトラック
(Sekaiju no MeiQ 5 *nagaki shinwa no hate* Original Sound Track)

These current game rip uploads of the game's soundtrack do not do it justice, let me tell you that right now. Maybe if the soundtrack version is ever uploaded to YouTube (and the album is fully translated), I'll send it to you guys again!

Well, then. That song is really cool! I wonder if it was ever remixed in a future Castlevania game... 9/10.

Now, while I've posted several battle themes from this game, I've never really posted the game's exploration and town themes. So let's change that today! Below is the theme of the first stratum from Sekaiju no MeiQ 5. For fun and for InfiniteBakuphoon, I'll also have the FM Ver. in a spoiler, though the one I want you to be primarily rating is the orchestral arrange below.

迷宮Ⅰ 鎮守ノ樹海 【ダンジョン 1F~5F】

迷宮Ⅰ 鎮守ノ樹海 (FM Ver.) 【ダンジョン 1F~5F】

8/10
Sounds nice and relatively carefree up until the first minute, after which it takes a surprisingly dark turn, and then back to happy and cheery again... what kind of place could this be? This, along with all of the other songs that have been posted here, is making me want to play this game...
For fun and for InfiniteBakuphoon, I'll also have the FM Ver. in a spoiler

I see my name there, Touya... :) As much as I like FM synthesis, I have to say this: I like the original version better for this one. The FM version sounds good and all, but nothing can beat those lovely strings, or that piano and bassline, or that flute at ~1:10! All of those are things that I love in a song...

And since we're kind of on the subject of orchestral tracks with that last song, here's another one:

A mysterious tone for a mysterious series. I wonder how much of it was taken directly from the John Williams score... 8/10.
As much as I like FM synthesis, I have to say this: I like the original version better for this one. The FM version sounds good and all, but nothing can beat those lovely strings, or that piano and bassline, or that flute at ~1:10! All of those are things that I love in a song...
To be perfectly honest with you, that's how I feel as well. To me, it seems like the FM Arrange DLC, at least for town and exploration themes, was done in a way that intentionally invoked the first two games as the drums are not quite as heavy and fast-paced as they are in things like EOIII - despite the instruments resembling those of EOIII more (which is more easily seen in the battle themes). In essence, the songs themselves are more like FM versions of the orchestrated song, rather than Untold style where the old FM synth is brought to life with piano, strings, drums and all those other beautiful instruments, maybe best demonstrated in The End of the Raging Waves which is something I've posted before. Perhaps one of the exceptions to the rule of the orchestral versions being better than the FM versions in all respects is actually the theme of the 6th Stratum, which sounds equally as creepy in both versions for different reasons.

But I won't show you that this time around. Right now, I'm gonna show you my favourite new song from PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2! In spoilers are the shorter versions, and outside of them, the full 10 minute length! This is Pac Oi Oi Oi!

Pac Oi Oi Oi (3 Minutes)

Pac Oi Oi Oi (5 Minutes)

Pac Oi Oi Oi (10 Minutes)

Back
Top Bottom