• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

The song really, really sounds like the console it came from - with that said, it's pretty good, albeit short. 8/10.

I'll go with something a bit odd with this one, if only because of the trivia associated with it.

Yoshi's Tropical Island / Yasunori Mitsuda
Mario Party (N64)

Yes, the very same composer responsible for the Chrono Chross music you saw above, as well as stuff like Xenogears and Xenosaga, did the first Mario Party's music. A lot of executive meddling involved, though.

5/10 Waaaaaay too slow for me.

Also, feel free to skip the first minute of this one.

Sounds like the score to an orchestra more than it is a game! 9/10 because it sounds really good despite that.
Ninja'd. I'll give it an 8/10. Sounds like it was supposed to tie directly into the stage it played in...

I've got four versions of the same theme for you today! Pick the one you like, rate 'em all, whatever! Today, we're doing the main theme of Space Harrier! I may or may not have already posted one of these.

THEME / Hiro (Hiroshi Kawaguchi)
Space Harrier II ~Space Harrier Complete Collection~

The original, and a classic SEGA theme. Even when you're still wondering why they continue referencing this old game...

THEME
SEGA Master System Bios Ver. 2.1

Yes, a Japan-exclusive bios for the old console had this little song hidden inside it!

Space Harrier (∞ Climax Mix) / Hiro (SEGA)
BAYONETTA ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

Appropriately, playing during the section which plays exactly like Space Harrier!

Race of Ages / Richard Jacques
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

The latest official remix of this, last I checked, and a fitting end to ASRT with its ultimate challenge - a crazy, twist-and-turn course comparable to what Mario Kart 8 would later pull, alongside a museum of SEGA console history (even including its racing arcade cabinet!) and several references to the previous Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing game.

I think I'll be adventurous and rate all four!

1) First time I've heard the original version. It sounds very much like something made in the 80s, in a good way. --8/10--
2) This is the only version I'm familiar with. This sounds warmer and a bit more like adventure music than action music compared to the original. I think that I may actually prefer this version, if only slightly (maybe because I've heard it before?) --8.5/10--
3) Cool remix. Background piano makes everything better, and that keyboard/synth solo during the breakdown was nice, too. --8/10--
4) Intense and energetic. More fun to listen to than the original, but not my favorite out of the three remixes. It sounds kind of like what Sonic R's soundtrack might have sounded like if it had been made in 2012, which is no surprise considering who remixed this song. --7.5/10--

Whew! Now after all of that, here's something a little more laid-back and, like the last track I posted, a bit summer-y. Loops around ~1:26:

Wow, isn't that Sonic Advance music remixed? On the same platform, no less? I like it! 8.5/10.

Now, a bit of Tekken today. One of my favourite game composers is responsible for this one! I know not everyone's gonna like it, of course, but let's hear your thoughts!

The day before the glass matrix 1st / sanodg
Tekken 7 Soundtrack

Composed by the delightfully insane Nobuyoshi Sano of DETUNE, this guy is a legend of video game composition, responsible for things like Ridge Racer, X-DAY, Phantasy Star Online and even contributing to Taiko no Tatsujin and maimai! And, of course, as you see here, he's a regular contributor to the Tekken series. I'm sure that many people will recognise Tekken's music direction instantly. At least, that's what I'd like to believe.

8/10
Cute and rather calming, like the soundtrack to casual, pressure-free exploration. Would sound great for early levels; not so sure about later ones (I haven't played the game).

While this track does have "Beach" as its title, it's somewhat different in style from the last few tracks I've been posting:

I'm... confused and intrigued at the same time. 7.5/10.

I'll put two songs today, both done by the same person, but wildly different! Rio Hamamoto's work dates back as far as the original Tekken Tag Tournament, and he's contributed to Soul Calibur, Ace Combat and Katamari!

Dojo 1st / Rio Hamamoto
Tekken 7 Soundtrack

Not what you'd expect playing at a dojo, much less the Mishima Dojo, would you?

Gerudo Valley / Rio Hamamoto (Arrangement)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / for Wii U — Premium Sound Selection

AKA Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / for Wii U — A Smashing Soundtrack —
This soundtrack is peppered with several NBGI composers, including Hamamoto and Taku Inoue!

8.5/10. Absolutely beautiful. I freakin' love the Yamaha FM synth!

And to back that statement up, I've brought you another Mega Drive classic!

Go Straight / Yuzo Koshiro
STREETS OF RAGE 2

There's actually a rarer version of this music out there seen only in certain soundtracks featuring Streets of Rage II, or Bare Knuckle II as it's known in Japan! They don't call Yuzo Koshiro a master of FM synthesis for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom