• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

I dunno why, but it reminds me of that riddly diddly song. 8/10 just based on that alone, lol

While it's not the theme that I listened to as I actually beat it, I'm putting in this music to personally celebrate to myself on overcoming EO2U's 2nd Stratum at long last! I've got four versions of the same theme for you today.

A Sudden Gust of Wind Before Your Eyes / Yuzo Koshiro
Sekaiju no MeiQ Original Soundtrack (Disc 2 - PC-88 Sound Version)

Even on music threads, F O E! I'm not sure if you've heard the IOSYS version of the song at all (considering how old that particular meme is), but for those who have and have never dabbled into the series at all, here's your context!

A Sudden Gust of Wind Before Your Eyes / Yuzo Koshiro
Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu Millenium no Shoujo Original Sound Track

Even in the remake, F O E! In Story Mode, you first hear this theme when you fight the technical first boss, at the time when your other party members join your Highlander for the first time. Maybe it was intentional due to the song's popularity? You might also notice, it's slightly extended compared to the original!

A Sudden Gust of Wind Before Your Eyes / Takeshi Yanagawa
Sekaiju to Fushigi no Dungeon Original Sound Track

Even in Mystery Dungeon, F O--Oh, wait, lemme stop myself there. They're actually known as DOEs in Etrian Mystery Dungeon, no joke! Regardless, here's a VERY unique take on the classic theme! This game in particular has a lot of fan favourite music remixed, and in this case, it's primarily based on the version found in Etrian Odyssey Untold.

FOE to no Souguu / IOSYS
Sekaiju no Omocha Bako
Even in 2016, F O E! Enjoy an age-old meme from days gone by!

@Etrian Oddity

In order:

6.5/10 Not really what I would listen to but it still does its job as a mood-setter.
6/10 I like this version slightly less then the origonal, but, again, it still does its job setting the mood.
5/10 Again, not what I would consider 'listening music', and, while it does do a good job setting the mood, it doesn't really set the correct mood for dungeon crawling, but is isn't terrible.
FOE!/10 FOE! FOE! FOE!

Okay, wow. I've not heard this theme before, to be perfectly honest, and it's really cool! I do remember reading up that it's a fan favourite, and now I think I can see why. 10/10.
Music like that makes me really, really want EO3U to happen so I can switch on the FM synth soundtrack for the entire game - what I've listened to of EOIII's music makes me like it a lot more than the FM synth sound used in the original EO and EOII!

Not really what I would listen to but it still does its job as a mood-setter.
I knew full well that it was never really a track to be listened to for pumping you up. As you say, it is a mood setter, because the whole point of those songs is to tell you to RUN FOR IT. With that said, I will admit, I enjoy the theme used in EO2U better (and specifically EO2U, I don't like the original EOII track quite as much).

I'm honestly not sure how to top the above song. Well, whatever the case...

Sanctuary Falls Medley / Richard Jacques
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

One of my personal favourites of the soundtrack (mostly because it's mixed in with a gorgeous remix of Back in Time). I dunno if anyone ever picked up on how two of the Sonic tracks in this game hark back to Sonic R, which makes a lot of sense because of their aesthetic... and the composer.

8/10
That remix of Back in Time is quite nice. And I like how the rest of the songs in here are given a modern/electronic spin without losing what made the originals so good in the first place; this is unfortunately something that happens a lot with lesser remixes.

And now for something completely different: a song from an unreleased game that arguably pushes the Mega Drive/Genesis sound chip to its limits (which is no surprise considering that the composer of this song - who co-wrote the Plok music I posted earlier - was infamous for this on other platforms as well). For the first time, I'm going to post two versions of the same song here; the first is recorded from real hardware at 50Hz (the "true" speed of the song) while the second is a faster (and presumably emulated) 60Hz version:

Without context, I'd give this a solid 8/10.

And now for something completely different: a song from an unreleased game that arguably pushes the Mega Drive/Genesis sound chip to its limits (which is no surprise considering that the composer of this song - who co-wrote the Plok music I posted earlier - was infamous for this on other platforms as well).
According to Sega Retro, the sound driver is apparently an advanced one not used in any game before or after it, designed by Dean Belfield for Tim Follin to use. Guess that YM2612 sound chip wasn't enough!

Onward with SEGA stuff, with a little extra.

Last wave with... / Shigeharu Isoda
OutRun 20th Anniversary Box

Truth be told, those artist credits only extend to the specific sound effect added to the original song, which was composed by Hiro.
The song itself is the series' signature song that plays when you achieve a high score, and yes, sound effects of waves are added in later versions too. It's extremely long considering where it plays! But not as long as the one used on the SEGA Saturn. For some reason, that version is almost 5 minutes long.

At least it wasn't that one melody from the original NMH. #NoMoreNoMoreHeroes
With that said, only a 6/10. I imagine it's supposed to play during a boss fight?

Etrian Odyssey III's musical style speaks to me, and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the drums used in this instalment's proper FM synth version songs?

Battlefield - The First Campaign / Yuzo Koshiro
Sekaiju no MeiQ³ *seikai no raihousya* ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

While it may share the same name as the first battle music of Etrian Odyssey II, it's a vastly different song.

Ah, I see! Hot off the heels of the Balrog trailer for SFV.
WE REALLY DON'T GOT NO PROBLEM/10

I remember this song being posted earlier in the thread, and I still like it; it reminds me a lot of a Mega Drive/Genesis song with its FM instrumentation.
The first three Etrian Odyssey games' soundtracks were actually composed with FM synth on a PC-8800 Series machine, the majority of them having those Yamaha sound chips! (In this case, I'm fairly sure most of them were composed on a machine with the Yamaha YM2608 chip.) The original FM synth tracks are seen on the game's soundtracks alongside their DS version recordings, and in the Etrian Odyssey Untold/Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu series, those very same soundtrack FM synths form the Old BGM soundtrack option for an overall higher quality soundtrack than was originally seen on the DS versions of those games. It's why I can't wait for EO3U to happen, if only to play the entire damn game with it on!

As for why the series' music started out that way, it's because they wanted to capture the feel of an old-school dungeon crawler with the original, complete with the sound of that era. That's the primary reason Yuzo Koshiro was the man for the job! They started moving away from that in more recent times as the series evolved, but by no means is that a bad thing, because then we get battle themes like this!

Battlefield - Storm / Yuzo Koshiro (Also known as "Gale Force" in the Sound Test)
Sekaiju no MeiQ⁴ *denshou no kyoshin* Original Soundtrack
Aside from what I've said above, and even though it's not entirely relevant to the song above, I feel like the music direction of the Untold series games are basically "classic Etrian Odyssey music with Etrian Odyssey IV composition", because that's basically what it is. I guess as another piece of trivia, there was to be a bundled drama CD and an arranged version of EOIV's soundtrack done in the FM synth style, and that was cancelled. Perhaps the Untold series, if it ever reaches this title with an EO4U, may change that?

flashygoodness soundtracks! I actually bought this album on Bandcamp. 9/10.
DAMNIT, GENJI'D AGAIN. For reference, @Tactician Karina, the game it comes from is Tower of Heaven. It's not that hard to find considering it's on sites like Newgrounds. It's a rather... interesting platformer, to say the least!

As for your song, I dunno. I'll give it a 7/10. I think I'd appreciate it better within the context of the original scene in which this song would play.

At this point, I feel like I'm running out of stuff to show you from my own personal library, at least without treading old ground or realising that the majority of you do not have music tastes similar to mine. Regardless, here's another one!

Life was a bore Instrumental / AM2 Sound Team (Guitar: Tomoya Koga)
OutRun 20th Anniversary Box

I believe I've posted the version of this song with vocals before (or maybe just this version in general, too). With that said, if you go look up the lyrical version of this song (or the lyrics themselves), you'll find that this song is actually the story of the passenger that accompanies the driver!

On a side note, everyone. Do you think your musical tastes, even for games, gear towards the east or west? For me, it's firmly locked in the east, even if I am lax about what music I inherently dislike.

This is an interesting one. It's somewhat hard for me to imagine driving to a track like this as opposed to actually listening to it as a song in itself... it's possibly a rare case where video game music actually sounds better in isolation. It also sounds a lot different from the tracks I've heard from this game so far with its mix of synthy horns/trumpets and realistic/live piano and guitar, which, while certainly not bad, does sound a little bit strange to me. That said, I do like it, and the more realistic-sounding instruments are what really make the song here. --8/10--

As for your question, I think that for video game music, my tastes lean more towards the eastern side of things. Not consciously; that's just where my favorite video game music happens to come from. That's not to say that there's not a lot of western video game music that I really like, too; it's just not as much.

I think I'll go ahead and post another song from Time Trax. Just like before, I'll post the "true" 50Hz version and a faster 60Hz version (both from real hardware this time):

1. 9/10
2. 10/10
Both are really great, I gave the second one a full 10 because it sounds a little bit better sped up; the 50Hz version sounds like it could be in a Spyro game though.

On a side note, everyone. Do you think your musical tastes, even for games, gear towards the east or west? For me, it's firmly locked in the east, even if I am lax about what music I inherently dislike.

For game music I'd have to say both, there is a lot of video game music that are amazing from both east and west, especially RPGs. For non game music though, strictly the west.

Has this one been posted yet? Not really sure if it was or not, but I apologize if it already was:

Back
Top Bottom