• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

8.5/10
Although it's a city theme, it kind of has the feel of a small town theme, which I think is one of the best parts about this song. It also has quite a nice arrangement and some really good parts here and there, which makes it better than your average Pokémon city/town theme.

Yet another song from a racing game here:

I don't know if it's Richard Jacques, but damn if it doesn't sound like the Sega Saturn sound he's most known for. 9/10.

Now, for a game that doesn't even have a remake announced, the songs present in Etrian Mystery Dungeon do it great justice to give us a taste of what Untold-style EOIII would sound like. Take a listen to the music of Waterfall Woodlands, the 1st Stratum of Armoroad's Yggdrasil Labyrinth.

Labyrinth I - Waterfall Woodlands / Yuzo Koshiro
Sekaiju no MeiQ³ *seikai no raihousya* ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK AKA Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

Waterfall Woodlands (3rd Labyrinth - Pristine Stream) / Yuzo Koshiro
Sekaiju to Fushigi no Dungeon Original Sound Track
AKA Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Yeah, I know, no Super Arrange version... Or maybe there will be!

Labyrinth I - Waterfall Woodlands / Azusa Chiba
Sekaiju no MeiQ³ *seikai no raihousya* SUPER ARRANGE VERSION

9/10 for the third one, 10/10 for the other two lol. Liked all three, with the second one being the one I liked the best, and the third being the one I liked the least. The voices just....took something away from it for me.

The art style of Digital Devil Saga always seemed a bit... Gothic to me, I dunno why. As for the music, I'll give it an 8/10. A bit slow, but nice all the same.
I've honestly never even heard of it until now!
MCH and I both would have heard much of this song, I'm sure.
TYPING INTENSIFIES

The voices just....took something away from it for me.
That was the case for me as well (and is the reason why I initially didn't put the Super Arrange version in my post until I edited it in).

Let's jump ahead a couple of strata to the endgame battle theme (that isn't a postgame area, of course!), Destruction Begets Decay, from the original Etrian Odyssey.

Battlefield - Destruction Begets Decay / Yuzo Koshiro
Sekaiju no MeiQ Original Soundtrack

Battlefield - Destruction Begets Decay / [H.]
Sekaiju no MeiQ SUPER ARRANGE VERSION

I dunno if you guys are familiar with SEGA composers, but H. is SEGA's in-house band! They've done quite a few arranges in the Etrian Odyssey Super Arrange albums.

Battlefield - Destruction Begets Decay / Yuzo Koshiro
Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu Millennium no Shoujo Original Sound Track

The guitar riff you hear at the beginning of this particular arrangement, you may recognise it from the first battle theme of this game, and in the first battle theme of EO2U - to explain why they're present in the soundtrack, it's because that guitar riff plays whenever the party is blindsided by the enemy - even if the skill of Risk Perception activates in the games that contain it. There are a couple of instances in which the Untold battle themes in the soundtracks actually use the preemptive strike variant (which plays a small intro before going into the main part of the song) instead of the blindsided one like the majority of them here.

For me, this is another good song from this series, but not my favorite. Rating all three:

1) The best version, but also not the one I enjoyed the most, strangely enough. I think it's because, in general, I've never really liked the particular key that this song is in, and that combined with the rather dark-sounding FM instrumentation makes it somewhat creepy and uncomfortable to listen to. Which is good for while playing the game, but not so much for casual listening. --7.5/10--

2) More pleasant to listen to than the original, but also somewhat less effective as a last-level battle theme. I don't really mind, though, given that it is an arrange version and it does sound pretty good on its own merits as a song. --8/10--

3) This one is like the best of the above two versions: intense yet fun to actually listen to. It's probably my favorite out of the three versions. --8/10--

As for my last post...
I don't know if it's Richard Jacques, but damn if it doesn't sound like the Sega Saturn sound he's most known for.

It is him! I believe that he composed most, if not all, of that game's soundtrack, which not only has songs like the one I posted but also some techno-like stuff, dance music, and even some country music here and there. That guy sure is versatile...

I'll think I'll go post something in a brighter, "happier" key to bounce off that last song. It's from yet another racing game, but from a series that hasn't had a presence in this thread for a while:

Is this supposed to be a remix of something? Either way, an 8/10.
That guy sure is versatile...
A reminder to everyone in this thread: Richard Jacques is classically trained and he composed this.

Everybody Jump Around / Richard Jacques
Jet Set Radio Original Sound Tracks

Some people love this song so much that they think that Naganuma got beat out on his own game!

Back
Top Bottom