• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

This stuff was my childhood. I ran like hell trying to cut down my time in World 8-Bowser!
Ninja'd by a repeat theme! That's the main minus point I'd give to this song, since it's basically copied and pasted directly from NSMBWii. 7/10

Think I'll go with whatever shuffle gives me. And it's this!

Revenge of the Enemy / Hirokazu Ando
KIRBY TRIPLE DELUXE SOUND SELECTION

repressed memories of The True Arena

Joisus. Was not expecting that when I saw it was from Injustice. Guess it makes sense, though, if it was for the credits or some other promotional piece! 8/10, if at least because it's the one song above all others which doesn't sound generic as hell, a sad trait of the majority of music that accompanies most Netherrealm Studios games. (Of course, it does help that it had an actual band...)

From one mood to another! This is my next pick. The game's been out for long enough where I feel like these technical spoiler songs can go unmarked - most of the people who care would have heard it by now. But here's where things are different compared to back then - the original soundtrack came out in December, and as such, we have official Japanese names for these songs! And this one is a doozy, considering the major plot points of this game - the ones that don't quite hit you until it's too late.
This song goes with the completion movie that you earn upon achieving 100% on that file, a secret performance video featuring The Noble Haltmann in its entirety as sung by Susie. The implications of its real Japanese title are quite something, because if the name is to be believed, then maaaaaan, did Max Profitt Haltmann have a bad day afterwards. It also helps to reinforce the rather melancholy note that the song ends on, seeming as now Susie's father is gone and he died because he was blinded by grief and rage to see that what he sought was in front of his eyes the entire time...

The Galaxy-wide Notorious Haltmann: The Last Recital of the Previous Night / Hirokazu Ando
Hoshi no Kirby Robobo Planet: Original Soundtrack

7.5/10
Sounds pretty bittersweet. I like it, although one could argue that it may be slightly too sing-songy/hummable at times given its otherwise slightly somber tone.

Yet another Sonic Adventure song next (because I can post songs from that soundtrack all day). But to make things more interesting this time, I'll also post a rather unique piano remix of the song from YouTube. Here's the original:

And the remix:

Oh, geez. That's a name I haven't heard in a while - mostly because I don't think we ever got it here in Australia. 9/10.

Sounds pretty bittersweet. I like it, although one could argue that it may be slightly too sing-songy/hummable at times given its otherwise slightly somber tone.
I think that's the idea. The leitmotif of The Noble Haltmann forms the basis for about 40% of the entire soundtrack, and heck, the second and third time you meet Susie, she'll be humming it to herself before realising you entered the room (reflected in the name of the song that plays as she does so, I Just Hummed ♪). It appears in several map themes, some of the overworld themes and forms the basis of the main boss theme.

And speaking of, next! If you've played or heard of Planet Robobot, you're probably familiar with this theme. The music reflects the descent into madness that is Max Profitt Haltmann, and it's got several changes in its instrumentation and tempo alike. In addition, the soundtrack version of the song does what Sullied Grace did for Triple Deluxe: Add a bunch of sound effects and vocals from the boss you face associated with the music - and in this case, it's Haltmann's attacks and voice clips, the latter being provided by Mugihito, known for such voice roles as:
  • Kinzo Ushiromiya in Umineko: When They Cry
  • Gengetsu Kibaoni in Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
  • Sigma in the Mega Man X series, from Mega Man X4 and onward
And a bunch more that I'm not listing here. You gotta wonder how the Kirby series goes with just a mere two voice actors sometimes! And in the previous 3DS title, it was only one: The seiyuu for Kirby also did Queen Sectonia's voice clips! But we'll save the rest of the Makiko Ohmoto trivia for another post.

Crazy Rolling in Money / Jun Ishikawa
Hoshi no Kirby Robobo Planet Original Soundtrack

It sounds pretty much like Guilty Gear took on Fire Emblem to me, which makes sense if you look at who the composer is. 9/10

Let's go with more Robobot-related stuff - but this time, it's the original version of a song that was remixed for it! Perhaps one of the biggest surprises of the soundtrack, especially in the early game, and certainly a happy one for fans of the game itself, a theme that makes its debut in Sand Canyon of Kirby's Dream Land 3 is remixed as the very first laboratory theme in Kirby: Planet Robobot! The Kirby series is a very big fan of nostalgia trips through music these days, and the way that a change in instrumentation can completely change the feel of a song despite sharing the same basic melody is quite a marvel to behold once you listen to them back-to-back.

Sand Canyon 3 / Jun Ishikawa
Kirby's Dream Land 3

Green · Laboratory / Hirokazu Ando

Between the two, I preferred the original version with its simple yet strong-sounding melodies and heavy bassline. It also sounds very much like a SNES song - in a good way - right down to the cheesy-yet-somehow-nice-sounding 16-bit horns in the last section of the song. The remix, while nice, doesn't quite appeal to me as much, because I feel that the arrangement is a bit too "floaty" and overall less powerful compared to the original (even if some of the instruments used could make for a pretty cool remix of the song by themselves). That said, maybe that particular arrangement of the song was more appropriate for the game and stage that it was in, and thus would sound better in that context versus in direct comparison with the original. But overall: 8.5/10 for the original and 7.5/10 for the remix.

Going from Nintendo hardware to SEGA hardware:

I'm sure it would be better in its original context, but as a song on its own, this just doesn't appeal to me. 3/10
That said, maybe that particular arrangement of the song was more appropriate for the game and stage that it was in, and thus would sound better in that context versus in direct comparison with the original.
You would be correct! The context it plays in is a much different environment to the original piece, and it's to do with the song's name of Green Laboratory - there's stages which look like this in every world in the game save for perhaps the final one, and most of them come with a remix from an old Kirby game to go along with it that mixes it in such a way that it matches its new environment.

So why not? Let's do another! This song was originally used when you picked up Superspicy Curry or a Mint Leaf (or as it is in Japan, a sweet potato), being notably played in the one area of the game which gave you an infinite use of such a powerup - the Kaboola boss battle (or Kabula, as she's now known). There's three known versions of this song including the original, and the other two are played - naturally - during boss battles against this once-forgotten boss in titles beyond the original KDL. Notably, the Kirby Super Star Ultra version is quite a bit different compared to the original and the Planet Robobot incarnation, and the Planet Robobot version is also the only Laboratory song not to be named as such (since the entirety of the stage in question is played on the Robobot Armor Jet Mode, and thus the regular stage plays Sky-colored Flight for its duration until you reach the boss).

Power Up / Jun Ishikawa
Kirby's Dream Land

Aerial Fortress Kabula
Hoshi no Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe Original Sound Track

You Don't Say Core · Kabula / Hirokazu Ando

Back
Top Bottom