• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

Gets you all pumped up for war. To arms! 8.6/10

The next song I'm posting is, so far, my favourite song of the entire game it comes from, for a number of reasons:
  • You hear it in Kiria's first Side Story, relatively early in the playthrough
  • The song itself serves as her Ad-Lib Performance, and by far is my favourite out of all of the ones I've unlocked so far
  • The lyrics...! It's like they completely intended for this character to subtly invoke Etrian Odyssey!
But what are Ad-Lib performances, you might ask? More on that in the spoiler! For now, enjoy the song.

迷路 (English: The Labyrinth) / Kiria (Composed by Hiroshi Yoshida, Arranged by Manao Doi)
Genei Ibunroku #FE Vocal Collection

So, about Ad-Lib Performances... They're special attacks which essentially serve as the equivalent to offensive skills in the Fire Emblem franchise (also known as sword skills or proc skills), the likes of which include Aether, Vengeance and Lethality in more recent Fire Emblem titles. In this case, a specific Side Story must be completed for most characters to earn their Ad-Lib Performances, and after that point they activate at random when you use specific skills in battle. They're also extremely powerful, attacking all foes for huge damage, able to inflict a status condition and also able to ignore resistances and trigger a Session where all Session Skills also ignoring resistances no matter what affinity the enemy may hold, just like Special Performances. This one in particular weaponises the chorus of The Labyrinth (for which the attack itself is named after) as an icy tornado against all foes, activated at random whenever Kiria uses an Ice elemental skill.

Very rockin'. 9/10

Let's try something indie today. Made by Askiisoft, Tower of Heaven is a short and simple, yet also complex platformer title. As you progress to ascend the tower, you are at the mercy of the Book of Laws and rules are added to it as you continue. Can you navigate the tricky platforming?

The Lonely Tower / flashygoodness
Tower of Heaven - Original Soundtrack (Get it here!)

8.5/10 Because I really like dynamic music and Spirit Tracks also happens to have some pretty darn good music in general, though it did take a little too long for the actual music portion of that track to start... Eh, that's besides the point.

...Not that this track is in any way dynamic, it's just this game has, from what I've seen, one of the best examples of dynamic music I have seen in a vidja gaem and it's not even out yet. Just saying.

This is still a pretty good track though.

6/10. It's a bit too... simplistic for my liking. I can barely hear the main melody, and the instrument quality sounds... lacking? (Also, can someone please fill me in on the whole Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons trademark dispute? I'm still unsure about it...)

7.5/10
Tribal music and electronic music together, huh? Interesting. It's a pretty cool-sounding track - especially with the overworld music mixed in - but as boss battle music it's kind of just "there" to my ears (as in, more on the atmospheric side than anything else) compared to, say, the more musically rousing Totem Pokémon battle theme. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I personally prefer the latter style of boss battle music more.

Alongside Mighty, the only thing left of Chaotix left to represent in a SEGA title that hasn't already been is its music (for the most part) - even the palettes get representation in Sonic Mania! 9/10.
9/10. Gives me sad Link's Awakening vibes, though the sound is much fuller than any actual 8-bit game would be capable of.
Well, the way I see it, you gotta think of it like Shovel Knight in a way - the Game Boy-inspired sound is certainly not gonna be present on your average Game Boy cartridge, but it's a fantastic use of its original instrumentation to invoke nostalgic vibes - though in Shovel Knight's case, it's a bit more authentic in a sense as while the sound effects do not interrupt the songs at all as it would on an NES, it was all composed on Famitracker within the limitations of the VRC6 chip. With enough effort I could imagine someone backporting Tower of Heaven's soundtrack to be playable on Game Boy hardware in some fashion.
Something feels off about this version so I cut two points for that
(Yeah, the opening of that version sounds too short.)
Ah yeah, the intro is cut off because that's the mix they used specifically for Brawl (and Smash 4). Perhaps you were looking for this version?
I also regret selling Bravely Default a few years ago just because I saw two people on Zelda Dungeon say they didn't like it...
To be fair, having completed that game myself, I can see why people would regret purchasing it. The worst part is, the biggest reason is a HUGE SPOILER for the game itself so you can't even discuss that with people! Though I haven't played it, I hear Bravely Second is better about that...

Now, today's music. I've not got much to say about this one to be honest - I just hit the shuffle and found one that I hadn't posted before!

Windy Fairy / DJ TOTTO
REFLEC BEAT colette ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK VOL.2

Back
Top Bottom