• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

Well, after about a minute I came to the conclusion that this track is... suitable for what the title indicates, but isn't that good listening music, or something. And no, that assumption did not change listing to the second loop as I typed this. 5/10

And now for a new take on a track that I'm probably going to keep posting here every now and again.

...Which you choose to rate (or if you have a crack at both) is up to you.

0/10. That's cheating. You know this song will get my attention because I imported the soundtrack to this game!

Serious rating, though, solid 9/10. Easily my favourite version of End of the Raging Waves in the entire series thus far. Considering it may also have superseded the use of Scatter About from this point forward, I am very much okay with the fact that it's essentially the true final boss theme in EOV. FM Ver. is rated the same, as although the instrumentation isn't quite as powerful without the chants of the proper orchestrated version, there's a couple of really clever nods hidden in it - one such thing being the use of the melody from EOIV's End of the Raging Winds during the breakdown section, where the melody is different in the Arrange Ver. of the song, and in that sense I find it to be an easter egg that references a cancelled album for that game... in which FM arrangements of EOIV's music was supposed to be created. That album was cancelled for some unknown reason, and the other half of it - the drama CD - became its own separate album. Thus, the EOV FM Ver. soundtrack manages to nod to three games in the series at once - the instrumentation from EOIII, a shoutout to EOIV, and of course, being based on the orchestrated version from EOV!

Well... IDK how to follow that up. Let's go with something adorable. Anyone familiar with YMCK? They're a chiptune band from Japan that was formed in May 2003. If any of you have played Art Style: PiCOPiCT/PiCTOBiTS, then you may recognise their style of music. Well, as it turns out, they also did a few songs for Taiko no Tatsujin. So let's go with this one!

Family Don-Don / YMCK (Composition & Vocals, Chorus: Midori Kurihara (YMCK), Arrangement & Lyrics: Takeshi Yokemura (YMCK))
ファミリードンドン / YMCK

Taiko no Tatsujin Original Soundtrack "Full Combo!"
太鼓の達人 オリジナルサウンドトラック「フルコンボ!」

When you play the song, you get to see YMCK themselves appear as you do better in the combo, and eventually pixellated versions of Don-chan and Katsu-chan appear alongside them! And the entire rest of the cast it seems joins in once your meter's full!

7/10. While good... this song is so much wasted potential. The area it plays in isn't really much grounds for exploration, is it?

Now, who knows Hideki Naganuma? No? Yes? Trying to get to sleep? Well, he found himself involved with a Kickstarter-funded indie title known as Hover: Revolt of Gamers, a self-described "fast-paced parkour game" which takes inspiration from games like Mirror's Edge and especially Jet Set Radio, so much that the collaboration with JSR's primary composer was one of their stretch goals! They reached it before the end date, which led the devs to debut a "Graffiti Mode" that tributes JSR's gameplay, in addition to Naganuma providing two songs for the game's soundtrack, one of which is this song below!

Never 4ever / Hideki Naganuma
Hover : Revolt of Gamers Original Soundtrack

BUT THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO BE ∞/10
I both ironically and unironically like this song... much like the character itself. It's got a certain charm to how Coldsteel it is.

Now, normally I don't post Taito-related music, since that's very hard to come by on YouTube. Rhythm games are probably easiest, though - so let's go with this one today!
As a set of boss songs for the Taito rhythm game series GROOVE COASTER (or RHYTHMVADERS depending on where you live), the "Got" series of songs serve as one of the series' ultimate challenges, beginning with the song Got more raves? in the arcade version of GROOVE COASTER. Laughing in the face of a consistent time signature and with some wonderfully mind-screwing melodies, the constant imagery of butterflies present throughout much of GROOVE COASTER's art as well as this song when played can only mean something real bad is about to happen. These songs were composed by an alias known as E.G.G., or Everything Get Groove, and his identity remained a mystery until it was revealed in a doujin album featuring a work by him outside of GROOVE COASTER that it was none other than prominent Taito composer and former ZUNTATA member Hirokazu "COSIO" Koshio, who has contributed to many Taito works since at least 2007.

Many of his songs - especially those under the E.G.G. alias - are anagrams with another name, and the Got series of songs in particular are all "Groove [X]" in one way or another - to give you a few examples, there's things like EU over Progress (Anagram for "Groove Pressure", found on the album WE ARE THE BOSS), Girl on Data (Anagram for "Dragon tail", found on the album AO- and a collaboration with Ryutaro Nakahara under the Seiryu alias), and OK I'm blue rat (Anagram for "Taiko Rumble", and a recent reveal which shows that E.G.G. wants to contribute a series of boss songs for the Taiko no Tatsujin series!). For a non-E.G.G. anagram example by COSIO, there's these three songs whose titles reference the song they rearrange: BEFORE TEN ORB, which is an alias of Metal Black's "Born to be free"; I CANNOT APE, an alias of Darius' "CAPTAIN NEO"; and BURN ALT AIR, an alias of Night Striker's "URBAN TRAIL".
I have only one question for you when you listen to this song. Got more raves?

Got more raves? / E.G.G.
GROOVE COASTER ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

Notably, this song has been used as GROOVE COASTER's representative song on multiple occasions of rhythm games crossing over, appearing in other rhythm game series like Taiko no Tatsujin, Synchronica, maimai, jubeat and SOUND VOLTEX. There's also an extended version of the song that was featured in the GROOVE COASTER ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK.
The anagram of this song is "Groove master?", and serves to reinforce its status as GROOVE COASTER's first proper final boss.

Last edited:
Always down for some Ys and Falcom's rockin' guitars. 8.5/10

Posting this one again, cause why not? I really love this song. Bonus, too, because I managed to find translated lyrics to the full version of this song! It's quite heartwarming, though a bit heartwrenching for me as well when I look back at a time when I listened to this and the rest of the album more often... Wasn't exactly a great period of my life there.

Clumsy thoughts / 猫叉Master Feat. *spiLa*
Crevice
(From REFLEC BEAT colette -Winter-)

Firstly... NOSTALGIA!!!

*Ahem* Secondly, if the line above didn't give you any indication, I was quite fond of his game when I was a tad younger, and flying around the map was one of my favourite parts, when you eventually get to it (assuming that's what this is from, it's been ages since I've played it), so my score of 9/10 may be a tad higher because of bias, but it's still a pretty good piece of music.

Back
Top Bottom