• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

I must say that I personally prefer the version with the drums. Although with both versions, I also have to say that they sound rather... unconventional, let's say, for a final boss and credits theme respectively, even after watching some gameplay footage for some context. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing that they sound that way, though... and they certainly win points on the creepiness factor because of it. That all said, 6.5/10 for the above.

Not bad, but it didn't really capture me. It's kind of subdued and doesn't have enough oomf to it, which makes it a little bland. 6/10

More chiptunes! Someone posted some Turok 2 on GBC a little while ago, which was one of my childhood games. I forgot how good the soundtrack was, it's probably in my top 5 favorite GBC soundtracks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhneiLIuM4

I feel like it's trying to be a bit Castlevania-ish for some reason, or at the very least a lot more militaristic than how we typically hear a Bowser theme. Perhaps that was intentional to set it apart from its official counterparts... 7/10.

Now, if you're wondering what the heck's been consuming my life for the past... almost 2 weeks at this point, it's been Hyperdimension Neptunia. I recently got into the series when I picked up the three Re;Birth games on GOG, and have been pretty much playing non-stop since then. Having completed my first run of the game, I figure I may as well share some of the music from that series for you guys to enjoy!

So we begin with a song that actually has a bit of history behind it...
In the original Choujigen Game Neptune/Hyperdimension Neptunia, there was a tutorial section where you heard a cute chiptune-style theme, known simply as 8-Bit Battle in the game's in-game album (but not appearing in an official soundtrack up to this point due to its exclusive use in that section). After it was done, the battle themes were based on which land you were in - and sadly, the 8-Bit Battle theme didn't return at all. While I haven't heard the music from the original game yet, I heard it was a common complaint about the original game - which, among many other problems, didn't help it in the beginning. Nevertheless, thanks to the game's high point of character interactions, story born of the real-life console wars and several references and shout-outs to games and other forms of entertainment in both languages, the game and the series earned itself a cult following which only continued to expand with the much improved sequel, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2.

Fast forward to the end of 2013. Felistella are brought on board alongside Idea Factory and Compile Heart to produce an enhanced remake of the original game, a universe largely unexplored due to the nature of the continuity starting with mk2 (as well as the original game's true ending not leaving much room for continuation). This remake would be titled Chou Ji Jigen Game Neptune Re;Birth1 (which would later be released internationally as Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 in 2014) on PlayStation Vita, later finding itself on PC in 2015, and would revisit the version of Gamindustri that was present in what is now known as the Superdimension - with improvements in gameplay, music and several other key points being addressed from the feedback of the original game. Much of its founding base takes from Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, including its battle system and several pieces of music, but it also brings with it some new original content. One particular example is the theme you're about to hear below - gone are the land-based battle themes, and in its place, a new universal standard battle theme: Splash. This theme is, unexpectedly, a modernised remix of the much-loved 8-Bit Battle theme from the original game, and in my personal opinion, it is kickarse.

Splash / Kenji Kaneko
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 Digital Soundtrack

On a side note, I was gonna post some Darius II but unfortunately the sharpest uploads I could find of the song I want to share aren't in stereo... Ah well.

7.5/10-It sounds really good but something just really puts it off for me. I don't know what though.

In celebration of XenoBlade Chronicles 2 1.3 Patch Update.
Sad considering this song sounds so calming.

View: https://youtu.be/6Gd_pdQhqMc?list=LL_36-c404KWEjpjH_d33nTg

6/10 Nice, but it doesn't really grab my attention.

This theme is used in Dragon Quest Builders as its boss theme (albeit updated), and it effectively got stuck in my head. Here's the original.

Back
Top Bottom