• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

10/10
I haven't been in this thread for ages, so let's kick things off with a song from a series I've been getting into recently: ace combat.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Jx76vSTk

and what better way to do that then including the magnum opus of the series' composer, showing the intensity of former wingmates and best friends fighting to the death for the fate of the world as the other is prepping for a full on nuclear holocaust to rid the world of territorial boundaries.

Sounds like it would be played in an "All-Or-Nothing" scene in some sort of movie or something.
Super epic, I understand why you would call it the composer's "Magnum Opus"
10/10

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqbEE2G0T0&t=159s

And what better way to make that kind of contrast than put in the Battle Theme of everyone's favorite Cheese Boy, Pannacotta Fugo, who was written out of the story because he could basically best every other character in his part in a fight.
but then again he's a fan favorite and he has his own one-shot novel so...

9/10 though historically I've always been a fan of battle themes over field themes in JRPGs, cosmo canyon is so iconic it gives my personal favorite of the original GSC version of goldenrod city a big run for their money.

now let's shift gears into the other conspiracy laden japanese society game by sega/atlus (the first being persona obviously) yakuza/like a dragon.
normally the series has a clan of superbosses unlocked by beating every other sidequest who are assassins called the amon clan, they are characterized by stopping at nothing to kill the series protagonists (mainly kiryu) even if the protagonists all have a no killing moral code despite 3 being ex yakuza and one being a still active loan shark for instance. this even extends to the fist of the north star spinoff, where clan leader jo amon fights kenshiro only to realize kenshiro isn't going to spare him even if his personality is close to kiryu's. come the spinoff Judgement/judge eyes which deals with a super cop rather than an ex yakuza in a strange role reversal, they have a new never before seen amon who is a nutcase even by the clan's standards, and whereas normally amons act like a mirror match of the protagonist you fight them as, shin instead relies on dirty tricks such as depriving you of a pause menu and therefore healing, using lightsabers with projectiles that heal or hurt you depending on the fighting style you're in and his lightsaber's color, and dropping the game's framerate on purpose to the point he's called mr framerate by series fans. all this gives a feeling of something being... off about this guy's relationship to the clan if any

and what better way to drive that point home than a song that has a record scratch 10 seconds in and a lot of clashing instruments and genres from there on out?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjWaZCAhbFs

8/10 I wanted to get this for my vita when it was new, thanks for reminding me I never did, now I have something to spend my quarantine money on!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EttRzq_T2Uk

what was one of the most underrated songs in Persona 4 gets a remix courtesy of the guy who sung the raps in P3, lotus juice, and he turns the dissonantly serene but actually creepy song and runs with the concept with reworked lyrics that give the same point of letting your true self go unchecked for too long leads to the person doing something stupid as a last ditch effort for help but with it being a lot more apparent..

Back
Top Bottom