• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

I knew beforehand that Shining is a franchise that had its roots in the Sega library, but without that prior knowledge I'd honestly believe that this was an SNES RPG title thanks to this song's instrumentation. I'd give it a.... 8/10, It has this imposing sense of majesty I'd expect of a battle song for a 'flying dragon'. (This is an assumption; don't heed by my words)

I'm also gonna put a few remixes of it here, just to spice things up. I've actually posted this song way earlier into the thread; over four years ago, in fact.

Re, Shining Force 3: I believe it was cause that game was on the Sega CD, hence the higher quality instruments.

I'll rate the original there: 7/10. Nice upbeat track I'd expect from any Touhou game. I also really like the PC-98 instrumentals, so this is a treat to hear.

Since I'm thinking of that platform now, I'll post one from the PC-88.

I can't say that I necessarily got much out of it emotionally, but I can say that I was pleasantly surprised at the many different directions that the song went in and I definitely enjoyed it at that level. 7/10.

@Blockhead Pippi
It's funny how multiple people here now (myself included) have compared that game's music to SNES music, and I think I might know why. I compared it to Tales of Phantasia; turns out that the same person who composed most of that game — Motoi Sakuraba — is also the one who composed Shining Force III's music (which I never would've guessed the first time, strangely enough).

Incidentally, that PC-88 song above reminded me (unsurprisingly) of the Etrian Odyssey series quite a bit, so let's go with something from there:

8/10 - I really liked it. The song looks diverse in itself and remarkably remembers Earthbound.

I remember my dad mentioning this game to me once! Anyway 7/10 sounds like a track you'd hear before a boss fight, also reminds me of older FF games.

I thought that Breath of Fire was still reasonably well-known. The first one is a very elementary rpg game, but the 2,3,4 are quite good. Personally, i like BOF games more than the FF ones.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3jeRoy1cAA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom