• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

7/10 this one's not bad, but I liked the original theme associated with Skull Kid more.

Consider me wowed. Certainly not what I expected for what little knowledge I have about this game. It makes use of the GBA sound engine very well. 8.5/10, certified bop!

Here's "Musical: Meloettaaa!!!" from Pokémon Black/White:

(Reviewed above: “Zephyr” from Spyro Reignited Trilogy)

Very much sounds like its era, yet with a bit of a modern touch! Or so it seems, anyway. I almost wouldn’t be surprised if this is the original PS1 version, actually (I didn’t check). In any case, it’s a simple yet pleasurable listen, like many other tracks from the OG Spyro trilogy. 7/10.

Something else from the same era (and console), perhaps?

(Posted below: “Aston Martin Car Dealer (Japanese Version)” from Gran Turismo)

6/10 It's.......alright, I guess? I don't know, seems kinda chaotic and all over the place if you ask me. I'm actually not the biggest fan of actual vocals in video game music most of the time anyway, I prefer orchestral/instrumental. (I actually dislike angsty stuff.) Actually, one of the only songs in video games with actual lyrics in it that I like is this one:

Last edited:
(Reviewed above: “River Game” from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

I’m assuming that this is OG Twilight Princess music here, as opposed to the remake on Wii U. Which I’m assuming because — with the caveat that I’m not familiar with the music of either — it sounds kind of “simple” compared to what I’d expect from the latter, almost as if it were sequenced. This kind of works to the song’s favor, but I also think that song itself being rather “simple” simultaneously kind of works against it, with the repetition kind of grinding away at the enjoyment factor after a while along with the somewhat overly playful and cheerful arrangement. So overall, it’s just OK. 6/10.

That’s not to say that sequenced music is inherently “simple”, though. On the contrary! Because sequenced music — even on consoles older than GameCube — can give us music like this:

(Posted below: “Return (Saturn Version)” from Radiant Silvergun)

(I was thinking of getting this on Switch, but other shmups caught my attention more lol)
6.5/10 it's certainly not a bad track, and it does have a bit of a grand feel to it that's fitting for a return from a mission (going by the title), but it doesn't stand out too much from similar music I've heard in other shmup games.

(Reviewed above: “Ook” from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

This seems to be one of those songs that’s best appreciated in context. It sounds pleasant enough by itself and it actually has a really nice “clean” yet detailed sound to it that I often associate with sequenced music of this era (assuming that it’s not actually just really high-quality synth instead). That does also mean that it doesn’t sound particularly realistic to my ears, though. A version with that sounds closer to the real thing could be interesting, but for what’s being presented here, I’ll give it a solid 7/10.

I wanted to avoid last-post snydrome for this particular song, but oh well, haha! Have one of the calmer yet still emotional tracks from Berwick Saga below.

(Posted below: “And Then…” from TearRing Saga Series: Berwick Saga ~Lazberia Chronicle Chapter 174~)

7/10 I've always liked emotional music in the main FE games more, but TearRing's emotional tracks are not bad at all, they're just better appreciated when getting to those points while playing as the context is fully there (which reminds me that I need to replay the TearRing games again, honestly both of FE's cousin series are criminally underrated). Similar with Vestaria Saga's own OST as well actually, good but better when heard in-game.

Back
Top Bottom