• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rating Alolan Variants to there Kantonian Variants--Better, Same, Worse

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
Alolan Rattata-Same. Rattata was always a common Pokémon I kind of liked and making him black with a sweet 'stache was a great idea.
Alolan Raticate-Worse. Never liked Raticate to start with, but I like AR less. 'Fat Rat' makes for some fun memes but nothing else.

Alolan Raichu-Same. I just have the same 'blah' feeling about both of them. They do some stuff well, they look ok, but nothing really speaks to me
Alolan Marowak-Same. First off, I LOVE Marowak, I have a Lv 100 Marowak in every generation and Ghost/Fire Marowak is just as bad-ass as his Kanto form
Alolan Exegguctor-Same. Exegguctor is a weird Pokémon for me because I never liked it, but I never hated it. It worked its way on to my teams because it was good early on and they are on sooooo many NPC teams in Gen 1 and 2. I have the same 'Meh' feeling about Alolan Exeggutor. Nothing special, just there. Kind of a lame Dragon-type, though not the worst (I am looking at your Turtonator)

Alolan Meowth/Persian-Worse. The Alolan Cats are supposed to be 'more classy,' but I think the slimmer designs look way better. Meowth isn't too bad, but Persian looks like it had some messed up botox

Alolan Geodude/Graveler/Golem-Worse. Probably the hardest to call for me. I like the Kanto ones well enough and the Alolans aren't bad. Maybe I just have more history with the old guys

Alolan Sandshrew/Sandlash-Same. Again, two Pokémon I love from Kanto that got nice little changes to make them unique and still fun to play with
Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales-Better. I never really had a thing for either of them (there are cooler Gen 1 Fire-types), but Drought made them useful in later gens. The Alolan's do the same thing and, imo, have a cooler design and I love the typing

Alolan Diglett-Same. Diglett, at best, was annoying in Gen 1 and nothing to write home about. Giving him a tuft of hair and calling him Steel-type does absolutely nothing to change that (especially since they made a new Diglett's Tunnel, who thought that was a good idea?)
Alolan Dugtrio-Worse. Dugtrio is no higher on my 'Like' list than Diglett, but just can't take the hair seriously

Alolan Grimer-Same. I don't really think it changed much except the color scheme
Alolan Muk-Worse. I like Muk. I can't, in all seriousness, train a rainbow pile of sludge with bad teeth. Can't do it.

Alolan-Raichu: Same. Alolan is just more fluffier and rides its own tail.
Alolan Exeggutor: Worse. Just look at it.
Alolan Dugtrio: Worse. The hair is aweful.
Alolan Persian: Worse. The sleaker one looks much better.
Alolan Raticate: Better. It makes it look less bland.
Alolan Golem: Definitely better. It has a beard now!
Alolan Ninetales: Same.
Alolan Sandslash: Same
Alolan Muk: Way better. I just love the colouring on it.
Alolan Marowak. Infinitely better. We go from a boring thing to this badass spirit dancing thing. Where has this been the previous six generations?!

Alolan Rattata-Better, it gives the line a personality and a purpose.
Alolan Raticate-Worse. it looks very ugly.
Alolan Raichu-Worse, it doesn't give me that "big brother of Pikachu" vibe from Raichu and its colors aren't as good, but it's creative on its own.
Alolan Sandshrew-Better, a genius idea used on a Pokemon that was already cute.
Alolan Sandlash-Better, neither are "great" Pokemon but this one looks more fierce and strong.
Alolan Vulpix-Same, both are unique and cute on their own.
Alolan Ninetales-Worse, it looks pretty, has nice colors and it's good on its own, but the original's nine tails give a sense of danger and mysticism this one doesn't have.
Alolan Digglet-Better, both are meh and it's a meh change but now it doesn't look like a finger.
Alolan Dugtrio-Better? It's a terrible design choice but makes it look less like a monstrosity.
Alolan Meowth-Worse, it's not bad but the original has an irreplaceable charm.
Alolan Persian-Worse, everything about it is terrible.
Alolan Grimer-Worse, its changes aren't appealing.
Alolan Muk-Better, it has genius ideas all around and it's the best Alola form.
Alolan Marowak-Better, the original was too simple and this one added many good things.
Alolan Exeguttor-Better, a simple but smart change.
Alolan Geodude-Same, both are meh on their own.
Alolan Graveler-Better, it looks tougher and takes advantage of Graveler's roughness.
Alolan Golem-Worse? No, worst. This one is so ugly that it became my least favorite Pokemon at the moment.

A. Rattata - Better, I like Kanto Rattata well enough but I agree with the person above that this variant gives it a personality.
A. Raticate - Better, similar with Rattata (both Kanto and Alola). It also looks cuter with chubby cheeks.
A. Raichu - Same, I already like both regardless but it is pretty cute riding on it's tail.
A. Vulpix - Same, cute regardless.
A. Ninetales - Same, similar with Vulpix, though it does look slightly prettier compared to Kanto Ninetales.
A. Sandshrew - Same, I have no strong positive or negative feelings of both variants.
A. Sandslash - Better, I find the Alola variant to be cooler and fierce looking.
A. Diglett - Same, not that different aside from yellow strands of hair and the added Steel typing given to it.
A. Dugtrio - Better, I actually really like this variant mainly for the glorious hair they have.
A. Meowth - Better, Kanto Meowth is cool and all, but I like the smugness radiating from this design.
A. Persian - Worse, I don't actually hate this variant but the original's design is so much better.
A. Marowak - Better, love the new typing it has and it adds more to it's design compared to Kanto Marowak.
A. Grimer - Worse, it's color is so gross.
A. Muk - Better, the added pink and blue coloring makes it look infinitely better to A. Grimer.
A. Exeggutor - Better, never really liked Kanto Exeggutor but this variant looks funnier. Also liking the Dragon typing added to it.
A. Geodude - Worse, Kanto Geodude was already meh but this variant looks terrible in design.
A. Graveler - Worse, similar feeling with Geodude pretty much.
A. Golem - Same, surprisingly I don't have negative feelings towards this variant compared to it's pre-evos. It's just there like Kanto Golem.

Rattata: Tie? I prefer the darker color scheme of the Alolan variant, but I don't really like the "mustache."
Raticate: Alolan. I like how hefty it is and how it has a more aggressive expression. Plus, it kinda reminds me of my partner's guinea pig. :D
Raichu: Original. The Alolan Raichu is cute, but it's got nothing on the original demon-eared mouse.
Sandshrew: Alolan Sandshrew is cleverer because of how it uses the brick pattern to evoke an igloo, and I really like the bulkier body and the blue color scheme.
Sandslash: Alolan here as well. Fun type combination, letter color scheme, and the prominent head-spike gives it a bigger point of interest. I love how the claws have adapted for climbing icy slopes.
Vulpix: The original looks classier and more elegant and refined, and I think it makes more sense for Vulpix and Ninetales to be Fire types. I do still like the variants, though.
Ninetales: See previous.
Diglett: Original. The variant is a very context-reliant idea, so although I do like it, the joke only really works in its correct environment. Regular Diglett is a better all-purpose design.
Dugtrio: Same as Diglett.
Meowth: Alolan. It's got more personality and a nice color, and I think the Dark type is a good fit for Meowth and Persian.
Persian: Tie. I love them both a whole lot.
Geodude: Alolan. The added details and the slight color change just make it more appealing/interesting to look at.
Graveler: Same as Geodude.
Golem: Original. Oddly, not the same as the previous two. I've always liked regular Golem, and while adding more details was a virtue when it came to Geodude and Graveler, I think Alola Golem has a little too much going on in comparison to the original. And it's just a really weird idea, at that.
Grimer: Tie. Works great either way.
Muk: Same as Grimer.
Exeggutor: Original, but just barely. The palm tree idea is brilliant and hilarious, definitely worth stealing from that TCG set - but it works best in the context of being a funny offshoot from the original. So, like with Diglett and Dugtrio, I have to give the edge to the original for being a more well-rounded and applicable design.
Marowak: Alola, for much the same reasons why I've preferred any Alola so far. I like the color scheme, and the design (and typing) is just more interesting. I think the more slender body works well for what seems to be a quasi-reptilian creature.

Last edited:
Alolan Rattata- better, the dark-type fits well on it and I like its mustache
Alolan Raticate- better, it's adorably chubby and I appreciate how it's the gangster to gumshoos' detective
Alolan Raichu- better, it's much cuter, what with its sky blue eyes, rounded ears, and I like how it floats on its tail
Alolan Sandshrew- better, it looks like a little igloo
Alolan Sandlash- better, I much prefer its icicle spikes to vanilla sandslash's boring spikes, and I like blue more than yellow/brown
Alolan Vulpix- better, I prefer it color scheme, and its eyes seem bigger
Alolan Ninetales- better, I like the flow its fur has, and the fairy-type makes it seem more mystic
Alolan Digglet- better, it's too similar to its original form, but the hair looks a tad cute
Alolan Dugtrio- worse, the hair just makes this one look ridiculous
Alolan Meowth- better, it's much more sophisticated
Alolan Persian- better, it looks stupid, but at least it has an interesting backstory and decent color scheme, unlike vanilla persian
Alolan Grimer- better, I may prefer purple to green, but the teeth make it more interesting
Alolan Muk- better, has fantastic colors and I quite like the crystal teeth/claws, vanilla muk is boring
Alolan Marowak- better, has a much better color scheme and a slimmer look
Alolan Exeguttor- better, it made exeggutor go from weird yet uninteresting to weird and hilarious
Alolan Geodude- better, vanilla geodude is too boring
Alolan Graveler- better, same as geodude
Alolan Golem- worse, I like the rock cannon it has, but I don't think I like the "facial hair"

Alolan Rattata - better. The mustache is adorable, and the type combo and color are cool.
Alolan Raticate - better. I still prefer Alolan Rattata, but it’s more interesting than its Kantonian counterpart.
Alolan Raichu - worse. The ears look ridiculous, the aesthetic is generally more unfitting for the rest of the line, and don’t get me started on how arbitrary the Psychic typing and pancake backstory are. Vanilla Raichu is cooler.
Alolan Sandshrew - better. The igloo imagery instills interest, and I’m a sucker for interesting (even if competitively unfavorable) new type combos.
Alolan Sandslash - better. It’s definitely cooler than the original, though like with Raticate I kinda prefer the basic stage.
Alolan Vulpix - better. A lovely inversion of the original, inspired by Arctic foxes. And in general, I think icy is nicey.
Alolan Ninetales - better. So amazing and elegant!
Alolan Diglett - worse. I’d say same based purely on design, but then factor in its type...one tuft of metal “hair” and different soil around it doesn’t quite justify the added Steel type yet imo.
Alolan Dugtrio - worse. Okay, now they have much more metallic hair, but it looks ridiculous. They grow mismatched styles, even??
Alolan Meowth - same. I love the meowies in each form, so it’s too hard to decide on just one.
Alolan Persian - better. At first I thought it was worse, but it grew on me. Now it’s not just a realistic looking cat with a little gem, and yet it also resembles an actual Persian cat a bit more to justify the name. Gives it more personality. And let’s not forget I associate it with both Enzap and Nanu
Alolan Grimer - better. I mean, it’s not exactly pretty yet, but it’s less boring than normal Grimer. Its artwork from the Team Up TCG expansion also blends goofy and ominous beautifully, lol.
Alolan Muk - better. I always slightly preferred Muk to Grimer, but my goodness, this thing looks awesome. Oily rainbow stripes, white crystals for spikes and “fangs,” and a great typing...love it.
Alolan Marowak - better. Ghosts usually are cool, and it’s rather easy to top the plain original Marowak.
Alolan Exeggutor - better. Nice and tall like a three-headed palm tree should be. Typing is cool, too.
Alolan Geodude - same. They’re both just okay, and are sensible starting points for their line.
Alolan Graveler - better. This is really where it starts to look cooler. The flecks of yellow and sideburns are neat touches. Plus, it also has cool artwork from Team Up.
Alolan Golem - better. Original Golem was decently cool, but add a big rocky beard and electric cannon...now we’re talkin’!

Rattata - better, I like its backstory and colour scheme.
Raticate - worse, I do understand its lore, but it still looks gross.
Raichu - worse, the original Raichu is sleeker.
Sandshrew - worse, I don't like the entire igloo theme it has going for it.
Sandslash - better, its icicles look awesome.
Vulpix - same, I like them both.
Ninetales - same, both are majestic and elegant.
Diglett - worse, it is still dull.
Dugtrio - worse, its hair looks stupid.
Meowth - worse, it is too arrogant-looking, even considering its backstory.
Persian - worse, it is just ugly.
Exeggutor - better, the standard one looks overweight, but the Alolan form is hilarious.
Grimer - worse, it is gross-looking.
Muk - better, I like its vibrant colours.
Marowak - better, I like its fire dancer theme.
Geodude - worse, it still looks boring.
Graveler - worse, it is even uglier than the standard one.
Golem - same, I like its railgun theme, but its arms are too short.

Rattata: I think they're equal. Though I'd push Variant Rattata a little higher since he can get STAB from Bite.
Raticate: Variant Raticate is better to me. He is chubby and adorable and he no longer has the corners of his mouth constantly agape and open to the elements. Seriously Regular Raticate must have serious dry mouth issues.
Raichu: Regular Raichu superior. Super rounded, randomly psychic Variant Raichu inferior.
Sandshrew: While I like the complete typing change to suit a new environment... I find the igloo looking pattern pretty dumb looking. Regular is better looking.
Sandslash: Both are equally neat to me. Though I kinda wish Variant Sandslash had many smaller ice spikes on its head instead of one big one.
Vulpix: BOTH ARE PERFECT FITE ME.
Ninetales: SEE ABOVE, FITE ME.
Diglett: I am not that fond of Diglett in general to be honest. What with the ability that basically seals the fate of any pokemon that can't easily kill it in a Nuzlocke of Fire Red/Leaf Green. The fact that Variant Diglette resists more attack types makes me angrier at it.
Dugtrio: I cannot hate Variant Dugtrio's amazing hair. Is better. Much better!
Meowth: I love cats you guys. Both are so cute!
Persian: I LOVE CATS YOU GUYS. Where people see Variant Persian with a big dumb head, I see a cat that has one of them flatter faces but is really freakin poofy. Like if you got that fur wet it's actual head size would be similar to Regular Persian's.
Geodude: Both are equal.
Graveller: See above.
Golem: I LOVE VARIANT GOLEM'S GOOFY STUB ARMS. HE LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN REGULAR GOLEM.
Grimer: Both are equal, though I prefer the colors of Regular Grimer to Variant Grimer.
Muk: Oil Slick Variant Muk looks a look more menacing and intimidating than Regular Muk.
Exeggutor: I love you, tall palm tree. Too bad your first stage didn't get a unique change too.
Marowak: Meh. Regular Marrowak is better. I really don't see why they would reference the early installment weirdness that is a literal pokemon's vengeful spirit. Variant looks kinda cool, though its lanky longer arms and skinny body creep me out. I imagine it falling over due to being top heavy a lot.

Rattata: Eh. same.
Raticate: Same, which is to say it's actually worse because I've never particularly liked Raticate to begin with
Raichu: Better! The tailsurfing theme is super neat and I think Game Freak really did Alolan Raichu justice sans its shiny colours
Sandshrew: Slightly better, but otherwise same-y. I don't actually have strong opinion on A-Sandshrew
Sandslash: Now this form I'm a fan of! Sucks being 4x weak to Fighting and Fire, though
Vulpix/Ninetales: Putting both here because both are significantly better in pretty much every way, lmao. Probably doesn't help that I'm also a huge Ice-type fan so there's a teeeeny bit of bias there, maybe. =x
Diglett/Dugtrio: Upon seeing the reveal of these, I thought they were supposed to be some sort of joke. Over time though, they both grew on me so I'm going to say better, here.
Meowth/Persion: Worse. Not exactly sure how you can make an Alolan version of Persian better since Persian itself is pretty plain-looking but still... at least have some creativity other than puffing up its face. @_@
Geodude line: Grouping them all here because I have the exact same opinion on all of them, which is to say that they've all gotten way worse. I was initially ambivalent towards the Geodude line to begin with but.... I just don't like the design of any of them this time around. @_@
Grimer/Muk: Better. I like Rainbows. Plus iirc they're the reverse in that they clean up stuff instead of leaving a mess, so yay for the environment!
Exeggutor: Better and worse in every way LOL
Marowak: Better. Not sure what else to really say here, I think adding a Fire type to it was a genius move on Game Freak's part.

Rattata: I like the Alolan variant more.
Raticate: I like the Alolan variant more.
Raichu: more or less the same.
Marowak: I like the Alolan variant more.
Exeggutor: I like the regular form more.
Meowth: I like the regular form more.
Persian: I like the Alolan variant more.
Geodude: I like the Alolan variant more.
Graveler: I like the Alolan variant more.
Golem: I like the regular form more.
Sandshrew: I like the Alolan variant more.
Sandlash: I like the Alolan variant more.
Vulpix: I like the regular form more.
Ninetales: I like the regular form more.
Diglett: I like the regular form more.
Dugtrio: more or less the same.
Grimer: I like the Alolan variant more.
Muk: I like the regular form more.

Rattata- The color scheme makes the Alolan variant edge out over regular Rattata but I like both.
Raticate- Again, the color scheme makes it more interesting than regular Raticate but both are still meh for me.
Raichu- I kind of like regular Raichu more for it's ears but both are really cool Pokemon that I like.
Sandshrew- I like regular Sandshrew more but I like the igloo design of Alolan Sandshrew too.
Sandslash- I like the Alolan variant more for it's icicle spikes but both are really cool.
Vulpix- I like both equally.
Ninetales- The Alolan variant. It is gorgeous and it's typing makes it a force to be reckoned with. Dragons beware!
Diglett- Both are eh to me.
Dugtrio- The hair is fabulous and makes the Alolan variant better but I still find them eh.
Meowth- As much as the TR Meowth fan inside me wants to kill me for saying this, I like Alolan Meowth more but I love both.
Persian- I prefer regular Persian but I really like the theory that the plumpness of Alolan Persian’s face is actually because of poofy fur.
Geodude/Graveller/Golem- Least favorite Alolan forms. Definitely prefer the regular Geodude line.
Grimer- The Alolan variant but not as much as I love it's evolution.
Muk- The Alolan variant hands down. This pile of rainbow sludge was a reliable member of my Moon team and is a big improvement over regular Muk.
Exeggutor- The Alolan variant. It's just so hilariously over the top and I love the lore that this was always Exeggutor's true form.
Marowak- The Alolan variant for it's much better color scheme, it's cool typing, and the lore.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom