• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rayquaza/an Emerald sequel?

Peaceful Giraffe

Ehehehehe...
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread like this and it needed to be made, I thought. Sorry if this already exists and I missed it.

Do you think Rayquaza will be in AS/OR, or do you think it will have its own game later, as a sequel to Emerald?

I personally would like a sequel to Emerald.

I suspect Rayquaza will play a larger role than in Ruby or Sapphire, though whether it'll be the same as in Emerald... it's my belief that the new games will be based more on Emerald than Ruby or Sapphire (looking at what HeartGold and SoulSilver did with Crystal's plotline)... I suppose it depends on if Game Freak sees Emerald as the 'true' version of Hoenn.

Yeah, they're just going to integrate Emerald elements into ORAS, that's it. Maybe they can do sequels later if there's still room for improvement.

I doubt that Hoenn will ever be revisited after these remakes. Certainly not before Kanto and Johto.

Aldus said:
(looking at what HeartGold and SoulSilver did with Crystal's plotline)
That isn't such a strong argument since Suicune wasn't involved in the HGSS climax; it was moved to Kanto.

Silktree said:
Aldus said:
(looking at what HeartGold and SoulSilver did with Crystal's plotline)
That isn't such a strong argument since Suicune wasn't involved in the HGSS climax; it was moved to Kanto.

Yeah, there's not really a lot to compare this to as Hoenn was the first time that the third version radically altered the plot of the paired versions.

It's hard to say what they'll do in this situation; keep the slightly different plotlines from Ruby and Sapphire for the new versions? Have both paired versions use the updated Emerald plotline? Neither of those seems quite right to me, and a third option might be best (have each game still focus on Kyogre and Groudon respectively, but still have Rayquaza play a major role.)

Yeah, there's not really a lot to compare this to as Hoenn was the first time that the third version radically altered the plot of the paired versions.
Not really. Crystal was the first game where legendaries were given a plot.

The difference is that Suicune is more flexible than Rayquaza is, so they got away with altering the climax. In contrast, if Rayquaza doesn't stop Groudon and Kyogre, I am not sure what else it could be used for other than mentioning its past.

I doubt that Hoenn will ever be revisited after these remakes. Certainly not before Kanto and Johto.

The main issue with whether or not a particular region is worth revisiting has to do with what could be improved. Even if you ignore the gameplay and graphical upgrades that have taken place since FRLG and HGSS, there's still tons of design improvements that could be done. Areas of the region that are ripe for expansion or some other type of improvement. Severe imbalances in the Pokedex that require newer Pokemon to help alleviate (which would help to create a new experience). Barebones, open ended storylines that need more fleshing out. The originals didn't even bother with any of this and simply adhered to whatever archaic design decisions inspired the original games.

Hoenn is in the same boat (although to a slightly lesser degree than Kanto and Johto), and whether or not it's worth revisiting depends on what design changes take place in ORAS. If it's more like FRLG and HGSS with little more than mechanical and graphical upgrades, I'd say there's still more to be done with the region. Either way, there is absolutely no way of knowing that at this point, we'll probably have to wait until the games are out to determine this, or at least the point where we have a good idea of what these games are doing.

Hoenn is in the same boat (although to a slightly lesser degree than Kanto and Johto), and whether or not it's worth revisiting depends on what design changes take place in ORAS.
I'm just saying that it won't get the improved sequel treatment before its predecessors do. And since it's been five years since HGSS, we can surmise that Hoenn won't be revisited for a very long time, so the possibility has nothing to do with Rayquaza in ORAS.

Hoenn is in the same boat (although to a slightly lesser degree than Kanto and Johto), and whether or not it's worth revisiting depends on what design changes take place in ORAS.
I'm just saying that it won't get the improved sequel treatment before its predecessors do. And since it's been five years since HGSS, we can surmise that Hoenn won't be revisited for a very long time, so the possibility has nothing to do with Rayquaza in ORAS.

I never said otherwise.

I suspect Rayquaza will be added into the story, just like they did with Suicune in HGSS.

If they don't use the Rayquaza Descent scene, it'd be a wasted opportunity. His theme during that scene was epic. Bonus points if they put in an anime-style cutscene rather than a 3D one.

I think even GF knows that one of the greatest scenes of ALL Pokemon games was the Rayquaza one from Emerald.
If it doesn't come back in ORAS, in one way or another, I'll be severely disappointed.

I dont think it will have its own sequel, crystal didn't have either :)

I guess that Emerald will not be remade. Crystal was not si I do not think Emerald will either. Though I still guess that Rayquaza will appear in ORAS.

We didn't have ThunderYellow, and we didn't have SpiritCrystal, so I wouldn't bet on an EpsilonEmerald or whatever.

Like others have said, if we go by what they did with HG/SS, OR/AS will probably be based on Ruby and Sapphire with Emerald elements thrown in, for example, maybe Rayquaza shows up to end the battle between Kyogre and Groudon and afterwards you have to go to the Cave of Origin to battle Mega Kyogre or Mega Groudon. Also, Mt. Chimney will be renamed Mt. Smokestack for no apparent reason.

I dont see anything like Emerald getting it's own sequel happening this generation. Im imagining Rayquaza's role being similar to Emerald in OR/AS.

this ^

if emerald does ever get a remake it'll be when we've come to the point of needing anther remake of hoenn for example kanto might need anotehr remake soon, what better solution then to remake yellow, then when johto needs remakes again remake crystal etc.

I dont think it will have its own sequel, crystal didn't have either :)
True, but then again Ho-oh/Lugia didn't have a third member to give a third version to (and HGSS did include the Crystal-specific Suicune sidequest).

As much as I'd love to see Emerald remade, the problem is that Rayquaza would kind of end up stealing the show. I never played original Ruby or Sapphire so I don't have any firsthand experience with its plot, but the fact that Emerald pitted you against both Aqua and Magma is part of what made its story awesome: You had two groups of fanatics warring for control over Hoenn, with you were caught in the middle and fighting them both.

True, but then again Ho-oh/Lugia didn't have a third member to give a third version to (and HGSS did include the Crystal-specific Suicune sidequest).
I don't see what you're getting at here. Suicune was good enough for Crystal, and if Game Freak had wanted to remake Crystal, they would have kept Suicune's sidequest for that (its climax wasn't carried over to HGSS, anyway).

Being frank, adding Rayquaza's (small but significant) bit to OR/AS shouldn't be hard. Moreso the storyline encounters with the different teams would be more effort to work on given the fact that they're on different sides in R/S and it's only in Emerald where they both take up a antagonistic role.

Given that OR/AS have been said to be 'full remakes' of R/S, I can see Rayquaza's bit being dropped in order to keep the original storyline intact. On another hand, it's perfectly possible for Rayquaza's bit to be adjusted to the new games and how their storylines run.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom