• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rayquaza/an Emerald sequel?

I dont think it will have its own sequel, crystal didn't have either :)
True, but then again Ho-oh/Lugia didn't have a third member to give a third version to (and HGSS did include the Crystal-specific Suicune sidequest).

As much as I'd love to see Emerald remade, the problem is that Rayquaza would kind of end up stealing the show. I never played original Ruby or Sapphire so I don't have any firsthand experience with its plot, but the fact that Emerald pitted you against both Aqua and Magma is part of what made its story awesome: You had two groups of fanatics warring for control over Hoenn, with you were caught in the middle and fighting them both.
Yeah you're right about that, i didn't consider that :) maybe they'll find some kind of middleway to include rayquaza :) i hope they will, its one of my favourite pokémon :)

I doubt they'll remake Emerald just because they've so far not remade any third version. They best thing to do is, like others have suggested, make Rayquaza's role more significant in ORAS (specifically, coming down upon the world) than just an after game boss that does nothing in the story. Since they aren't likely the revisit Hoenn any time soon after this, now would be the time to make all the use of Rayquaza they want to and I personally don't see them passing this opportunity to stay that close to the original RS.

The latest footage showed Groudon emerging from the sea in the same way as Kyogre does in a separate scene. This implies that Groudon is awakened in Seafloor Cavern as in Ruby, rather than the Magma Hideout as in Emerald. It doesn't seem that the duo will battle.

The latest footage showed Groudon emerging from the sea in the same way as Kyogre does in a separate scene. This implies that Groudon is awakened in Seafloor Cavern as in Ruby, rather than the Magma Hideout as in Emerald. It doesn't seem that the duo will battle.

About 10 seconds into the video, a message pops up, which says, "Game footage not final". I wouldn't make that assumption yet, but it's yours to make.

About 10 seconds into the video, a message pops up, which says, "Game footage not final". I wouldn't make that assumption yet, but it's yours to make.

They're probably not going to rewrite that scene, that's more of a legal disclaimer to cover the fact that the scene might look different graphically.

It's a pretty safe assumption to make, albeit a sad one.

No... :'(

That is seriously disappointing. My best memories are from Emerald.

No... :'(

That is seriously disappointing. My best memories are from Emerald.

Yeah i know the feeling,I had emerald as my second game my first being fire red then sapphire i was disappointed then too to find out rayquaza wasn't getting his scene or that the Bf wasn't in. i still have emerald to. Well hopefully the battle frontier can still make it in somehow.

In the end i'll just expect R/S in 3d with minimal changes to keep myself from being disappointed hopefully gamefreak wows us with more then just a repaint, even then the repaint will look pretty awesome.

They're probably not going to rewrite that scene, that's more of a legal disclaimer to cover the fact that the scene might look different graphically.

I'm not so sure that's the case, but that's your opinion, and I will respect it.

"Gameplay footage not final" has, in the past, translated to a change in Excadrill's patterns and a change in what the Pokemon Centre building looks like in Castelia. I doubt they'd ever release footage this close only to drastically change it.

Emerald's plot still seemed to favor one team over the other, and I doubt that you can translate Emerald's plot onto both versions without it looking too similar. However, we know from other game releases that both Aqua and Magma were seen as criminal organizations so I can still see a plot rewrite that involves the "good team" (the one allied with you) trying to wake their own legendary.

However, we know from other game releases that both Aqua and Magma were seen as criminal organizations
We do? They're never mentioned except by the ex-grunts in B2W2. They just say that they were going to expand the land/ocean but ended up realizing that it would cause problems, which isn't indicative of much.

so I can still see a plot rewrite that involves the "good team" (the one allied with you) trying to wake their own legendary.
Where would Kyogre awaken in Omega Ruby? I don't see why Groudon would awaken in Seafloor Cavern if Kyogre had a role later on.

We do? They're never mentioned except by the ex-grunts in B2W2. They just say that they were going to expand the land/ocean but ended up realizing that it would cause problems, which isn't indicative of much.
That's enough if you ask me. In the original RS, the other team didn't really express their ambition to expand the land or sea--merely to stop the other team from doing so. Though, the references are ambiguous enough that potentially, they could rewrite the plot to include both teams trying to awaken their respective legendaries, but only one of them succeeding and the other realizing that they should stop as well.

Where would Kyogre awaken in Omega Ruby? I don't see why Groudon would awaken in Seafloor Cavern if Kyogre had a role later on.
Both Groudon and Kyogre had unique spots in post-game in Emerald.

That's enough if you ask me. In the original RS, the other team didn't really express their ambition to expand the land or sea--merely to stop the other team from doing so. Though, the references are ambiguous enough that potentially, they could rewrite the plot to include both teams trying to awaken their respective legendaries, but only one of them succeeding and the other realizing that they should stop as well.

only way i can see it working is the evil team of the game awkens their legendary, so the team trying to stop them gives you the orb for your ledgendary you awaken it to stop the other and then steven tells you how big a mistake you just made and sends you to get rayquaza. Rayquaza stops the oppiste legendary but cannot stop your box ledgend and it's up to you to catch it.

or rayquaza stops both but since you have the orb you can catch your box legend

edit: Or you catch your box legend to fight the other and at the end of the fight rayquaza shows up and stops them

If you call a random, migrating cave "unique". That's more than likely not how they're going to do it in ORAS.

only way i can see it working is the evil team of the game awkens their legendary, so the team trying to stop them gives you the orb for your ledgendary you awaken it to stop the other and then steven tells you how big a mistake you just made and sends you to get rayquaza. Rayquaza stops the oppiste legendary but cannot stop your box ledgend and it's up to you to catch it.

Except the legendary the evil team wants and the legendary you catch in your version are one and the same. This wouldn't work.

edit: Or you catch your box legend to fight the other and at the end of the fight rayquaza shows up and stops them

Again, the issue is how would the opposite legendary appear? It's clear that the one in your version comes from Seafloor Cavern, so that makes it tougher for Kyogre to appear in Omega Ruby.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is put one in Seafloor Cavern and one in Cave of Origin, but I'm not sure even that would work.

If you call a random, migrating cave "unique". That's more than likely not how they're going to do it in ORAS.

Except the legendary the evil team wants and the legendary you catch in your version are one and the same. This wouldn't work.

Again, the issue is how would the opposite legendary appear? It's clear that the one in your version comes from Seafloor Cavern, so that makes it tougher for Kyogre to appear in Omega Ruby.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is put one in Seafloor Cavern and one in Cave of Origin, but I'm not sure even that would work.

Give them a new location. I haven't played sapphire in years and i only played it once opposed to my 30 times in emerald xD but if i remember correctly in sapphire you fight team aqua and team magma helps you. So ( in the remakes) Team aqua awakens kyogre. Maxie in an attempt to get one up on them sends you to awaken groundon somewhere else that's probably under water too with the orb. You awaken him and he goes to fight kyogre rayquaza stops the fight by himself but archie has found kyogres mega stone ( tieing in with the new form so if not mega stone the way to transform him into his new form) and manages to keep kyogre around leaving you to stop it. And vice versa in omega ruby.

The only hard part is giving groudon/kyogre a new location to waken. They shouldn't be in the same spot anyway makes no sense for groudon to be in a cave under water.

Last edited:

I don't see what's more unique than a whole cave moving but I guess that's not how you define unique.

On a more serious note, just pointing out that the Hoenn legendaries don't have to both be in Seafloor Cavern. Perhaps in Groudon and Kyogre will be in Seafloor Cavern in their respective versions, but the other legendary would be in a different place (Mt. Chimney and a new location).

And you realize the scenario I gave in that post said that both teams will try to awaken their legendaries but only one will succeed.

Give them a new location. I haven't played sapphire in years and i only played it once opposed to my 30 times in emerald xD but if i remember correctly in sapphire you fight team aqua and team magma helps you. So Team aqua awakens kyogre maxie in an attempt to get one up on them sends you to awaken groundon somewhere else that's probably under water too with the orb. You awaken him and he goes to fight kyogre rayquaza stops the fight by himself but archie has found kyogres mega stone ( tieing in with the new form so if not mega stone the way to transform him into his new form) and manages to keep kyogre around leaving you to stop it. And vice versa in omega ruby.

The only hard part is giving groudon/kyogre a new location to waken. They shouldn't be in the same spot anyway makes no sense for groudon to be in a cave under water.

On a more serious note, just pointing out that the Hoenn legendaries don't have to both be in Seafloor Cavern. Perhaps in Groudon and Kyogre will be in Seafloor Cavern in their respective versions, but the other legendary would be in a different place (Mt. Chimney and a new location).

I suppose it's possible, but it would be pointless to make a completely new area just to get the plot to work. If they intended for both of them to be awakened, Groudon would not show up in Seafloor Cavern.

And you realize the scenario I gave in that post said that both teams will try to awaken their legendaries but only one will succeed.

That would defeat the purpose of wanting Emerald storyline elements, that would require having them both be awakened and fighting so that Rayquaza can appear and calm them down.

That would defeat the purpose of wanting Emerald storyline elements, that would require having them both be awakened and fighting so that Rayquaza can appear and calm them down.

I guess that's what this thread is about, but I think what's more important is establishing that both teams plan to expand the land/sea respectively, which isn't really well explained in RS. It only seemed like the opposing team wanted to stop the main villains rather than pursue their own goals.

I suppose it's possible, but it would be pointless to make a completely new area just to get the plot to work. If they intended for both of them to be awakened, Groudon would not show up in Seafloor Cavern.

Please elaborate on how it would be pointless to rewrite something for a more coherent plot? All I'm hearing is the typical "I don't really like changing things"

I also disagree on that last point. Like I said earlier, Emerald's plot seemed to favor Aqua over Magma (Courtney's role was cut out), as Team Magma was dealt with long before you even beat the Mosdeep Gym (recall that they only try to steal the fuel after you beat Tate and Liza). It's kind of strange for the version's main team to be dealt with before the final battle. It would be much easier to rewrite a new location for Kyogre and keep Groudon to the final stages of the fight rather than try to justify why OR is suddenly focusing on Team Aqua at the end of the game.

With that said, I don't think the opposite version legendaries will be awakened unless Game Freak is willing to allow you to capture both in your games.

Last edited:
I guess that's what this thread is about, but I think what's more important is establishing that both teams plan to expand the land/sea respectively, which isn't really well explained in RS. It only seemed like the opposing team wanted to stop the main villains rather than pursue their own goals.

Please elaborate on how it would be pointless to rewrite something for a more coherent plot? All I'm hearing is the typical "I don't really like changing things"

I also disagree on that last point. Like I said earlier, Emerald's plot seemed to favor Aqua over Magma (Courtney's role was cut out), as Team Magma was dealt with long before you even beat the Mosdeep Gym (recall that they only try to steal the fuel after you beat Tate and Liza). It's kind of strange for the version's main team to be dealt with before the final battle. It would be much easier to rewrite a new location for Kyogre and keep Groudon to the final stages of the fight rather than try to justify why OR is suddenly focusing on Team Aqua at the end of the game.

Honestly it'd make more sense for groudon to be found in a valcaono then under water and we do need the team we're helping to expand upon their ideals emeralds plot line did a great job at that so i'm hoping they can find a middle ground.

@bolt the cat
Groudon being found in a new location would make much more sense why should a monster that created land itself be under water?

That much they're probably going to do, but it's probably not going to amount to much more than a change in dialogue.

Because making an entirely new area for that purpose is redundant, Mt. Chimney would be a much smarter and simpler solution if they wanted a more Emerald-like plot.

Groudon being found in a new location would make much more sense why should a monster that created land itself be under water?

It doesn't, but it's too late for that. They've already decided that Groudon is awakened in Seafloor Cavern, and that pretty much throws the rest of Emerald's plot elements out the window.

Because making an entirely new area for that purpose is redundant, Mt. Chimney would be a much smarter and simpler solution if they wanted a more Emerald-like plot.
You realize I specified Mt. Chimney, right?

Perhaps in Groudon and Kyogre will be in Seafloor Cavern in their respective versions, but the other legendary would be in a different place (Mt. Chimney and a new location).

The "new location" refers to a new location for Kyogre. I'm suggesting they rewrite the story to include both of them, but given that Groudon is already at Seafloor Cavern in OR, Kyogre will be the one that needs a new location unless you think finding Kyogre in a volcano makes even more sense (at least Groudon was in a cave)

I've also edited my previous post:

Mt. Chimney is either too far away from where the game currently is or Team Magma would be dispatched too early in OR if we were to follow Emerald's plot too closely. AS would have absolutely no problem as Team Aqua takes the stage for a lot of the major plot points (maybe because the majority of the encounters in RS was leading up to the stealing of a submarine?). I'm all for Emerald's plot elements, but it fits more for AS than it does for OR--that's why they need to change the plot if they want both villains' goals established (which I've explained multiple times already why they should).

On a side note--at least change Groudon's area into an undersea volcano.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom