• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Re-challengable Trainers/Exp. Grinding

Dex

"Ruthless Cinnamon Roll!"
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about this on the first few pages, so forgive me if this has been posted before.

What are your thoughts on trainers that can be challenged again? For example, in addition to the E4, B/W had the areas with the sports teams in Nimbasa, the battle house, etc. Should there be more in X/Y? Less?

And when? How much should be available before the E4, and how much after?

On a similar note (related to leveling up pokemon), should Audino or an Audino-like thing make an appearance again? I know they are a life saver, but it is not a given that they won't be replaced by another way of finding more experience.

I'll be very interested to hear thoughts on this.

Well, Audino was seen in one of the early trailers, so it's probably safe to assume that it's returning.

Also, I want my VS. Seeker back!!!

I want to be able to re-battle trainers, preferably in some fashion similar to the VS Seeker. I'd like more than there were in Gen V, since it just seemed that there weren't very many trainers to re-battle. I like random trainers, not the same ones from Nimbasa over and over. A good bit before the Elite Four would be nice, but I really want to be able to re-battle trainers after the Elite Four.

While it isn't confirmed, Audino might be returning, which would be beneficial, as well.

I've been disappointed with the lack of V.S. Seeker in 5th gen. Even with Audino, it's been a good long time of grinding (which is the antithesis of fun in my opinion).

I really enjoy the pokegear functionality of being able to call trainers for rematches, but without Serebii or some other site to tell me who I can call on what day and when, I'm lost. I'd prefer something like that to just a V.S. Seeker, but adding more trainers to rematch and more times you can rematch them. Having the little "!" on the fly map in Soul Silver has been a lifesaver, though.

Perhaps we could see something more like that; or even something as simple as talking to the trainers and they ask you for a rematch would be good.

However they do it, I'd enjoy seeing many more rematches than 5th gen had.

I always wanted to battle all the trainers along the road again, see their progress and so on :) I'd definitely prefer that over Audino, therefore I hope for a lot of trainer re-matches :3

I honestly prefer Audino, but I definitely would like to see the return of the Vs. Seeker or Match Call.

I liked the Nimbasa Stadiums; the Pokemon were decently high-leveled and there was a good amount of them to battle throughout the day. I'll be happy with the return of either the Stadiums or something similar to them, or the VS. Seeker (providing there are strong trainers worth using the VS. Seeker on), in addition to Gym Leader and Strong Trainer rematches with high levels. Platinum did it best; if XY are anything like it I think we'll be fine.

I really hope they don't bring back Match Call or the PokeGear. It was just way too cumbersome to set up rematches on those things. It either took forever (Emerald) or had you waiting until a certain point on a certain day (HGSS) not just to rematch the trainers, but with Leaders, actually find them and register them in the first place (you can manipulate the in-game clock, but that's both annoying and resets so many important 24-hour events nowadays that it's impractical).

^Concerning Match Call/Trainers Eyes, For most generic trainers all you really had to do was run back and forth within the area they were in for you to see they wanted rematch within their profiles. This became a common thing when you were within Route 117.

For this topic, I really want the return of the VS. Seeker or something remotely similar to it. No seriously, what possessed them to remove something that's clear 'series stable' material? The fact you could only rematch trainers in Gen V within the sports center got really old, really fast.

Since we KNOW there'll be trainers who say "I'll try harder next time" how about giving them the means to make good on that while allow the player to fight powered up NPCs throughout said region?

I feel bad for beating up the Audino but I wouldn't mind a way to gain double exp.

I want trainers to be re-challengeable, but only if you can only re-challenge them if you talk to them, and you can decline, just in case you're just randomly talking to people and one of them just happens to be one that you've previously fought. I didn't really like how the breeders worked, but at least they were awesome for grinding.

I like Audino leveling, which makes it much easier to level grind when you're a low level. I like the Nimbasa Stadiums, which have pretty high level trainers with a fairy number that can be battled daily. I also like the White Treehollow, which while being a challenge, is also has a lot of high level trainers to battle against and can be battled at anytime all day. Still, I miss the Vs. Seeker and being able to challenge trainers I've battled before. If next gen can have all four, that would be my ideal!

I'd like something like the VS seeker again. I don't particularly like the "phone call" method, because half the time, it's someone yapping about how their poor Hoothoot lost it's tampon or how some vicious Ledyba scared them. I want to be in control of when I battle as well, so no previously beaten trainers running up for a rematch either. I don't mind the Stadiums in Unova, but I do want something more, and that I can utilize in whatever area I'm in.

Well, Audino was seen in one of the early trailers, so it's probably safe to assume that it's returning.

Also, I want my VS. Seeker back!!!
this, a thousand times this. the fact that they removed it for HGSS of all games still pisses me off. Seriously, that one item fixes 80 percent of Gold and Silver's problems

It would be awesome if all trainers had a timer for when they would be available for battle again, but you had to initiate it. It would make leveling Pokemon a lot easier.

Might not be very feasible, but I hope they have trainers that travel around, catching Pokémon, and getting stronger as you progress through the story, and even after that. They'll act like pseudo-rivals, and will be a source of experience even in the post-game.

Of course, I too want the VS Seeker back. But allow it to work in caves and buildings too! I understand why it doesn't, but there are some strong trainers in places like the Victory Road, that are useful in training.

Might not be very feasible, but I hope they have trainers that travel around, catching Pokémon, and getting stronger as you progress through the story, and even after that. They'll act like pseudo-rivals, and will be a source of experience even in the post-game.

I posted this EXACT same idea on another thread long ago!
What if... Some of the random trainers you meet can BECOME YOUR RIVALS!!! For example, in route 1, you meet a school kid and battle him, then in route 7, he becomes a Dragon tamer, at later on at Route 18, he becomes an Ace Trainer... It's like giving even the most useless characters SORT OF a story, which could make the game more interesting... I mean, who actually cares about what a trainer says after you beat them? Maybe, with the above method, there could be sort of a VERY mini-plot with each Trainer Rival.... And maybe they can join you in the end to defeat the ultimate team.. (In this case, the team would have HUNDREDS of members, but your "rivals" take care of most of them, similar to how your present rivals battles some evil team members, and you battle the rest...)
From: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/rival-speculation-discussion-150829/index5.html

It's an awesome idea to put in the game, and though it is unlikely as you said, it would make random trainers a lot more useful.

I think I'd rather battle against trainers that I've fought before instead of being stuck in the same place trying to squeeze out every last experience point. It's also much more natural when it comes to battling things... that you know that you can always go back to, if ever different.

I never understood why they did away with the best new feature in Firered/Leafgreen. The ability to rebattle trainers on demand seems almost like a no-brainer in a game like Pokemon.

Clearly Gamefreak is not worried about us getting too much exp since Audino exists.

I posted this EXACT same idea on another thread long ago!
What if... Some of the random trainers you meet can BECOME YOUR RIVALS!!! For example, in route 1, you meet a school kid and battle him, then in route 7, he becomes a Dragon tamer, at later on at Route 18, he becomes an Ace Trainer... It's like giving even the most useless characters SORT OF a story, which could make the game more interesting... I mean, who actually cares about what a trainer says after you beat them? Maybe, with the above method, there could be sort of a VERY mini-plot with each Trainer Rival.... And maybe they can join you in the end to defeat the ultimate team.. (In this case, the team would have HUNDREDS of members, but your "rivals" take care of most of them, similar to how your present rivals battles some evil team members, and you battle the rest...)
From: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/rival-speculation-discussion-150829/index5.html

It's an awesome idea to put in the game, and though it is unlikely as you said, it would make random trainers a lot more useful.
I don't mean quite in the same way; I mean more that other trainers are also on a journey like the player's and that should be represented more.

On that front, I think it'll be neat if trainers you've Streetpassed also appears in the world wandering around.

Streetpass battles would be wonderful if they're used for EXP grinding instead of a battle facility like the Wifi Train.

Anyway, I enjoyed the Nimbasa stadiums, but I like it better with tiered levels. (those trainers were in the 60s postgame, like the rivals) Having breeders rechallenge you, along with a group of trainers in one area like Nimbasa, and some postgame bonus bosses like Morimoto and Cynthia were nice areas to level grind. X and Y should have those. (I took advantage of the breeders to grind for gym battles in BW2. They really helped.)

Of course, everything beats the arduous level grinding in the Johto games, even with the Pokegear rematches, because they were so unreliable.

They should let us battle the Pokemon Center Nurses if we want, and they will all have Chansey's evo line or Audino as Pokemon....

Well, since I doubt this will ever happen, they could give us 5 people like Cheryl, Buck, Mira, Marley, Riley but let us battle them more.
That would also help the anime with Ash's rivals, but this is another story and I don't wanna go off-topic.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom