• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Re: (READ POST #18) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

After finally beating the game, I have to say I found most of the characters this time around to be incredibly bland. I didn't even enjoy the rivals, save for Calem. The other three were just kinda there, imo, and I found them rather annoying. The E4 and gym leaders were just as equally boring. They were well designed, at least.

Also, like a lot of other people, little amount of Pokemon. I didn't even get a full team of Kalos Pokemon that I wanted to use until right before the seventh gym. I know even gens tend to have less, but still. I don't particularly care for that many of the Gen VI mons either.

That Heliolisk doesn't get an evolution. It seems more like a mid-stage than a final-stage.

This game was a blast of nostalgia, and while i appreciate the glorification of past pokemon i think its safe to say that the producers are running out of creativity. a good idea might be to take ideas from fans considering the fan base of the series and how much fan work is already circulating out there. heck, even dark souls 2 let the players design/vote for some of the gear in game

My biggest complaint is no happy medium between the game-breaking Exp. Share and just having to power level a lot. I would have liked more new Pokemon, but I absolutely love the designs for the ones we did get and I avoided Pokemon websites for the past several months, so most of them looked new to me.

My biggest complaint is the Elite 4/Champion.

I liked the E4's designs and Pokemon teams just fine- thought they had well put together teams and designs. I'll put the rest under a spoiler for those that aren't there yet.

But my biggest gripe was that the second time through, their Pokemon don't level up, and they have the same team as they did the first time you fought them. Where's the challenge in that?

The Champion wasn't all that big of a surprise to me either. I wish she had interacted with you a bit more along your journey though, because I wasn't really all that excited to battle her like I was Cynthia, or even Lance, etc. Her Mega Evolution was a surprise, but overall battling her...wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be?

I kind of miss when the E4 got progressively more difficult as you went through them. Battling them in the order you want was fun at first (and gives you a chance to level up Pokemon you know you might need later to defeat the rest/the Champion) but it doesn't feel as much as a challenge as it was in games past. My team was in the low to mid 70's when I went through the first time because I was expecting the Champion's Pokemon to be around that, but I think her highest was level 66 or so? At least when they did this in Unova, they had a stronger team the next time around.

I agree with you. I'm still hoping that we need to unlock some special event in order to "level up" the e4. But as of now, I've already beaten then 3 times and no improvement on their pkmn levels or team...
If they don't get harder, that's a real sad thing, as it will become an easy grind for money...

I saw a couple complaints on the Bug-type on the first page. I don't know about you all, but I found Bug an extremely helpful type during the game. Vivillon with Bug Buzz and Quiver Dance swept Dark- and Psychic-types with ease. Mix in Hurricane, and she was insanely useful battling the League.

Could anyone clarify what you mean when you say the type has gotten worse?

I saw a couple complaints on the Bug-type on the first page. I don't know about you all, but I found Bug an extremely helpful type during the game. Vivillon with Bug Buzz and Quiver Dance swept Dark- and Psychic-types with ease. Mix in Hurricane, and she was insanely useful battling the League.

I don't know what they mean, and I have no complaint by myself... but Gen V was by far the best generation for Bug-type, bringing literally a swarm of great bug Pokémon. So, I guess the bar was set too high.

Still, I can't believe nobody is talking about Sticky Web, the amazing new entry hazard Galvantula got.

I'm angry that sableye now has a weakness to fairy and didn't get a mega evolution. I never liked mawile that much, but i always thought the two went hand in hand. sableye, despite its stats was always a pokemon i loved and i thought this would be his time to shine.

I'm angry that sableye now has a weakness to fairy and didn't get a mega evolution. I never liked mawile that much, but i always thought the two went hand in hand. sableye, despite its stats was always a pokemon i loved and i thought this would be his time to shine.

Sableye is one of my favorite Pokemon. I was hoping he'd get one too, or a whole new evolution.

Well, that's in-game; I think a majority of people were talking about Bug types and Bug-type moves in a competitive battle sense. With the Fairy type resisting Bug-type moves, the Bug type is tied with the Grass type as the most-resisted type in the metagame, which attack-wise makes Bug-type attacks even less useful in the metagame. (I would MUCH rather spam a Dragon-type attack for example, since only two types resist/are immune to that type of attack; than a Bug-type attack, which--although it hits three types super-effectively--is resisted by seven types, some of them pretty common in the metagame.) Fairy's resistance to Bug-type attacks didn't really do the Bug type any favors.

Only complaint I have is it was waaaaaay too long before I found an ice rock or moss rock.

Tierno wants to make a Pokemon dance team but there's no dancing sidequest like Contests. I don't see the point.

I don't really like the fact there is no vs. Seeker in this gen, or that you can't actually re-battle Gym Leaders (I know stuff about the Mansion, but they battle you only with two pokémon and outside their gym). It's a shame because gen 6 gyms are so outstanding, graphically speaking. :/

I wish they had stopped people on the GTS asking for impossible trades, and maybe added a filter to stop people asking for legendaries coming up. Once again I find myself scrolling through dozens who want a Xerneas Or Yveltal for some fairly common pokemon in order to find a halfway sensible request.

I know what you mean, bro. I just wanted to find a Kadabra to get Alakazam, I thought they would ask for another Kadabra back or other pokémon such as Machoke or Graveler, but... Xerneas and Yveltal everywhere. :(

I wish they had stopped people on the GTS asking for impossible trades, and maybe added a filter to stop people asking for legendaries coming up. Once again I find myself scrolling through dozens who want a Xerneas Or Yveltal for some fairly common pokemon in order to find a halfway sensible request.

A filter like that exists, actually. On the same page that asks for the Pokémon you're looking for, hit the "Options" button at the bottom. A prompt will pop up asking if you want to include offers where the Trainer is asking for a special Pokémon (or something like that). Hit "Don't include", and voilà--the people asking for Xerneas and Yveltal disappear!

There is a filter - just for whatever reason you can't set it as a default.

On the first GTS screen where you ask for a Pokemon - the 'Options' button lets you select "Don't Include" for 'special' Pokemon - which excludes Legendaries. Then, if you tap the search icon in the bottom corner, you can then filter out 'Pokemon the person wants' to only include those you have. Which combined often results in no possible trades.

Again, bugs me a lot you can't make that default - why would I want to know I could trade Pokemon I don't have for Pokemon I want? Especially as a default.

edit: Ninjasked.

A filter like that exists, actually. On the same page that asks for the Pokémon you're looking for, hit the "Options" button at the bottom. A prompt will pop up asking if you want to include offers where the Trainer is asking for a special Pokémon (or something like that). Hit "Don't include", and voilà--the people asking for Xerneas and Yveltal disappear!

There is a filter - just for whatever reason you can't set it as a default.

On the first GTS screen where you ask for a Pokemon - the 'Options' button lets you select "Don't Include" for 'special' Pokemon - which excludes Legendaries. Then, if you tap the search icon in the bottom corner, you can then filter out 'Pokemon the person wants' to only include those you have. Which combined often results in no possible trades.

Again, bugs me a lot you can't make that default - why would I want to know I could trade Pokemon I don't have for Pokemon I want? Especially as a default.

edit: Ninjasked.

Thanks, I don't know how I never noticed that before.

Well, that's in-game; I think a majority of people were talking about Bug types and Bug-type moves in a competitive battle sense. With the Fairy type resisting Bug-type moves, the Bug type is tied with the Grass type as the most-resisted type in the metagame, which attack-wise makes Bug-type attacks even less useful in the metagame. (I would MUCH rather spam a Dragon-type attack for example, since only two types resist/are immune to that type of attack; than a Bug-type attack, which--although it hits three types super-effectively--is resisted by seven types, some of them pretty common in the metagame.) Fairy's resistance to Bug-type attacks didn't really do the Bug type any favors.

Hmm, yeah, I see what you mean. Fairy's got too many resistances in that regard.

I'm still kind of bitter over how Helioptile didn't evolve into an electric/dragon like rumored, as much as I love Heliolisk. Oh well. One of these days I'll get an electric and dragon dual type that's not a box legend. What's with there being 7 new electric type moves but only 3 new electric type Pokemon??

Also I'm really hating the selection of girls hats and bags. Too bad we can't buy male clothing. Hopefully there'll be downloadable clothing options later on, sort of like how 5th gen had downloadable C-gear skins?

I'm kind of disappointed in the music, too. It's definitely not bad, it's just... not what I had come to expect from Pokemon and didn't blow me away immediately like BW's soundtrack did. (Also, similarly I was kind of disappointed there was no one that played a Hoenn song considering there's that one guy that plays the emotion theme from BW and the other person who plays a remix of Jubilife.)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom