• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Gastro Acid doesn't do damage, and Knock Off has been modified from 20 BP to 65 BP with an additional effect of doing 50% more damage if the opponent is holding an item....basically all of them guaranteeing a 97 BP move that removes held items.

They need to give Feint this kind of love, because with a base power of 30 it may as well be a status move; it's close to useless outside of double/triple battles. It should double in power if the opponent uses a Protect move.

Lack of true challenge. The Ace Trainers were kinda good, why not make the E4 twice as hard?
Come to think of it, I recently looked up the Hoenn Gym Leaders and GF gave them a noticeable jump in power between RS and Emerald (mainly with larger teams). The most noticeable being Tate & Liza going from a 2-mon Double Battle to a 4-mon Double Battle. And when I fought Brawly, the biggest threat he had on him was his Focus Punch Meditite (an Emerald exclusive) because I didn't actually know what Focus Punch was yet.

I do wish Super Training would've only had Blue, Orange, and Green Balls. The other two are more time consuming, and man... Yellow is just awful to use -_-

It actually depends on their location. People whose 3DS' location is registered further away from you gives you more Poke Miles.
But I'm talking about StreetPass, not Internet ... the chances of being physically near someone whose system's region/location is something other than yours are ... well, pretty low.

Plus, it doesn't even register them as an Acquaintance or anything.

I hate the fact that all the Contest Ribbons your Pokemon have earned in other Regions are replaced with one Memorial Ribbon. It's a minor gripe, to be sure but I spent a lot of time and effort getting those Pokemon those Ribbons. It feels like a bit of a rip-off that I can't see them anymore.

It actually depends on their location. People whose 3DS' location is registered further away from you gives you more Poke Miles.
But I'm talking about StreetPass, not Internet ... the chances of being physically near someone whose system's region/location is something other than yours are ... well, pretty low.
I'm talking about Street Pass too :/

People have Japanese 3DS's even in the North America, and I've met random people from across the country (and some even from the U.S.). It's pretty low, but happens, and it's not hard when you're in a big city that a lot of people travel to. The amount of PM you get in street pass is proportional to the distance in their 3DS location, just like PSS features. Evidence? I've had it happen to me. I've gotten way more PM than a 1:1 ratio in Street Pass would allow. You know how I know they're out of province/country? When you interact with them in MiiVerse and see that they played X/Y and are located somewhere else.

Just because it doesn't register them as acquaintance, doesn't mean the 3DS doesn't communicate, at minimum, your registered location. They clearly made it so that if you physically travel, you get a bonus but it works the other way around. If people from around the world meet you, you still get additional Street Pass. The 3DS doesn't have a GPS, it doesn't know whether you traveled, or they traveled.

Last edited:
Really, my only main issue is the lack of a decent Post-Game. I think only Gen 1's was worse, and that was almost 2 decades ago. Simply put, I was hoping for some post-game adventures rather than a 10 minute thing with Looker (albeit, I did enjoy it. But it was over too quickly), like how RSE had things like the Regi quest (which was far more complex than simply "find the end of the cave and catch a legendary"), FRLG had the Sevii Isles, HGSS had Kanto, DPPt had that large island in the north, etc

The Regi quest wasn't post game in RSE. RSE's post game is actually roughly on par with XY's, they didn't have any post game areas like the other games did.

When I used the regi quest, I mainly meant the legendary quests. I've always done those (unless the plot requires it) after the game so I classify it as post-game. And it was a lot more complex than getting legendaries in XY from what I remember. It's been a while since I played Emerald, so maybe they are about the same. I just remember it taking me a long time to do everything in Emerald back in the day than how long it took me to finish the quests in X

Really, my only main issue is the lack of a decent Post-Game. I think only Gen 1's was worse, and that was almost 2 decades ago. Simply put, I was hoping for some post-game adventures rather than a 10 minute thing with Looker (albeit, I did enjoy it. But it was over too quickly), like how RSE had things like the Regi quest (which was far more complex than simply "find the end of the cave and catch a legendary"), FRLG had the Sevii Isles, HGSS had Kanto, DPPt had that large island in the north, etc

The Regi quest wasn't post game in RSE. RSE's post game is actually roughly on par with XY's, they didn't have any post game areas like the other games did.

When I used the regi quest, I mainly meant the legendary quests. I've always done those (unless the plot requires it) after the game so I classify it as post-game. And it was a lot more complex than getting legendaries in XY from what I remember. It's been a while since I played Emerald, so maybe they are about the same. I just remember it taking me a long time to do everything in Emerald back in the day than how long it took me to finish the quests in X

No, you can't classify something as post game based on your personal gameplay habits, it's only considered post game if it's something that only unlocks when you beat the game. The Regi quest can be done as early as the 7th gym. Which is why I said in terms of post game content, RSE and XY are about equal. None of those games unlocked a lot of content after beating the game. This is basically what each game had for post game content:

RS: Sky Pillar, Battle Tower, Latios/Latias catchable, Swarms
Emerald: Desert Underpass, two more areas of the Safari Zone, the Battle Frontier, Latios/Latias catchable, Groudon and Kyogre catchable, Swarms
XY: Kiloude City (which includes the Battle Maison and the Friend Safari), the Looker Bureau sidequest, Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres catchable, Mewtwo catchable, Zygarde catchable, additional Mega Stones catchable, Sushi High Roller

That's not really a lot of content, it's only a handful of new areas, a few Pokemon, and not a lot of gameplay features.

As far as how easy it is to get the legendaries, you're pretty much right, as none of the legendaries in XY were particularly hard to find (the legendary birds required you encounter them in the wild a dozen or so times first, but that's about it).

No, you can't classify something as post game based on your personal gameplay habits, it's only considered post game if it's something that only unlocks when you beat the game. The Regi quest can be done as early as the 7th gym.

But only if you trade the Regis in from another game. Otherwise, you can't access the DPP Pal Park (to transfer the Regis from G3) until you've beaten the game.

BjzAcCxCYAIUvm4.jpg:large

Makes me wish you could reach the top of Prism Tower in the actual games.

- That most pokemon's in-battle animations are far shorter and sub-par compared to their Battle Revolution/Col/XD ones.

- That Xatu and many other flying pokemon are permanently flying. For goodness' sake, was it too hard for them to just program them with a "Flying" and "Non-Flying" model for the Sky Battles? Xatu looks TERRIBLE.

Anyone else notice that many flying Pokémon (I dunno if all of them) have standing models for PokémonAmie minigames? During HeadIt and the puzzle, my Talonflame is standing, wings folded, and looking perdy. I'm fine with Talonflame having a flying animation, but obviously if they did it for Talonflame, they could do it for Xatu and Skarmory and the like. I'll have to bring them into PokémonAmie and test.

- That most pokemon's in-battle animations are far shorter and sub-par compared to their Battle Revolution/Col/XD ones.

- That Xatu and many other flying pokemon are permanently flying. For goodness' sake, was it too hard for them to just program them with a "Flying" and "Non-Flying" model for the Sky Battles? Xatu looks TERRIBLE.

Anyone else notice that many flying Pokémon (I dunno if all of them) have standing models for PokémonAmie minigames? During HeadIt and the puzzle, my Talonflame is standing, wings folded, and looking perdy. I'm fine with Talonflame having a flying animation, but obviously if they did it for Talonflame, they could do it for Xatu and Skarmory and the like. I'll have to bring them into PokémonAmie and test.
All pokemon with a flying animation have a standing animation in the Pokemon Amie wich makes me wonder why didn't they used the standing animation for the non Sky Battles and use the flying animation for the Sky Battles.

Speaking of which ... has anyone noticed that if you have a Pokemon in your PR video, it can only use the Pokemon-Amie animations? (Default and Happy.) Why couldn't they let you use battle animations?

I don't like how lagged Horde Encounters are. It gets stuck before you escape, and I've actually had my games freeze a few times. :/

I'm guessing that Hordes lag because of the large number of Pokemon on the field. Must take a lot of calculations to decide on 5 different attacks as opposed to 1.

An extremely weak game plot with less active leaders, uninteresting characters, poorly handled side-characters/rivals, patches of boredom, a poorly-handled and annoying evil team, AZ's story line not getting enough focus, a small amount of Pokemon and a good number of them being ugly/uninteresting and Mega Evolutions stealing the show, few innovations in how things are done, more throwbacks to the Kanto-era.

Gym Leaders who literally do nothing at all aside from sitting in the gyms, contribute nothing to the overarching plot, fantastic designs but very poor characterization or personalities. Korrina and Clemont were cool, Korrina got her lion's share of prominence and Clemont got something resembling more involvement but that's it. Malva was very interesting but got next to zero focus and the Elite Four were interesting, first time I find Elites much much much better than regular leaders. Diantha wasn't super interesting but she was better than the majority of the leaders though. Then some characters felt extremely unneeded, additions like Alexa for example. The pacing was very very very awkward.

Like the whole Flare climax just hit me in the face like a train after a string and constants spurts of inactivity, the rivals and Flare Scientist were underused, uninteresting and underdeveloped and felt like they rode on one defining trait about themselves the majority of the games. Shauna and Calem/Serena were very underdeveloped, a lot of missed chances and opportunities with very interesting things getting little focus or exposition.(Hello Battle Chateau history and nobility system.) Trevor and Tierno were just hard to like in-general until I really just tried to like them and they were all uninteresting in-general, it did get on my nerves the way all four of your friends seemed to shill and worship you.

Then there were things that were dropped for no reason, Shauna/Calem/Serena's Kanto starter for example is never used in battle. Shauna's goal of finding a goal got literally next to no real significant development, I just don't have the motivation to finish the story line of the X version I have. I have to earn Wulfric badge and beat the Elite Four to win the game and finish the main story line, everyone tells me post game is better so I'll be finishing it for that mainly. I have the Y version I haven't opened that I bought because I wanted both version of the game and one to hold all of my Pokemon on and one to reset for future play throughs.

Though the graphics and designs were pretty sweet but BW still carries the title of the best game imo.

Last edited:
It's amazing how the little things often prove to be the most annoying things in the long term ... I don't feel XY were necessarily "rushed" through development, but there are indeed some things that aren't quite polished.

- Why even bother giving us a yes/no option called "force save" when half of XY's online functions (GTS and Wonder Trade I'm looking at you) require you to save the game anyway before using them?

- You shouldn't be allowed to trade active party Pokemon on the Wonder Trade or GTS (which is probably the reason for always requiring you to save first). You already can't trade Battle Box Pokemon, you should only be able to trade boxed PC Pokemon. Now that you can literally trade at any time (no Pokemon Center visit required) it's theoretically something that you can exploit/abuse for box-trick style healing of party members (e.g. between E4 battles). Live trades should probably (but not necessarily) have this rule too.

- Mr. Hidden Power guy STILL can't tell you what Smeargle's Hidden Power is (you have to discover that experimentally).

- Shiny Pokemon STILL don't have shiny menu sprites. It's just a simple palette swap of their usual colors, so why the heck not? Or at least give their menu icons a star or something (to indicate shiny, similar to shiny forme entries in the Kalos Pokedex)

- (And on a similar note, Hippopotas/Hippowdon's menu sprite only ever shows the male coloring.)

- When you check a Pokemon's in-battle status screen, I want it to show their actual, at-the-moment stats/ability/type (including buffs, type/ability changes, etc.) instead of their normal (unbuffed) stats. E.g. if an opponent uses Simple Beam on my Pokemon, I want the status screen to show "Ability: Simple" instead of whatever. Make it color-coded so that it's clear that this is a temporary change in the Pokemon's status. We already have something like this for forme changes (Mega Evolutions especially), but after playing a game like Bravely Default where you can check up on active buffs at any time, I really think Pokemon should follow suit.

- Ability to bike through the really tall grass (Route 6 I'm looking at you) is a major "wait, what?" on the player. You can't rollerblade through it, how the heck can you ride a freakin' street bicycle through it?

- Mega Evolutions don't recalculate turn order based on the mega's new speed/priority. Okay so this is a minor issue usually (you can always Mega Evolve+Protect if you really need it), but it's just a nuisance. And it's a balance related issue which GF is specifically not patching.

- Sturdinja is the new Wondertomb? Granted, this started in G5 and it is a rather tricky oddball thing to set up, but if you can do it, it almost guarantees you're going to win because with both 1HP and Sturdy, Shedinja survives literally every direct attack thrown at it.

Last edited:
Then some characters felt extremely unneeded, additions like Alexa for example.

Alexa was definitely pointless in this game, I was expecting much more from her. Not just one conversation and then she becomes a glorified guide character. At least let me battle her.

I have to earn Wulfric badge and beat the Elite Four to win the game and finish the main story line, everyone tells me post game is better so I'll be finishing it for that mainly.

You're going to be very disappointed with XY's post game, trust me. It's the most barren post game since RSE, you only get one new city which has the usual Battle Tower esque facility (known as the Battle Maison in this game) and a "Safari Zone" that works based on your 3DS Friend List (arguably the only interesting post game feature), a short post game story arc, three Legendaries (Zygarde, Mewtwo, and one of the legendary birds based on your starter), and a bunch of post game Mega Stones. And that's pretty much it, there's no post game mini region, just one city, the only post game Pokemon are in the Friend Safari (the rest you have to transfer over), and there's only about two new gameplay features that open up giving the game comparatively poor replay value.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom