• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

I'll just leave this here, since Fawful's Minion pretty much describes ALL of the problems that I have with the lackluster Pokemon X and Y.

[video=youtube;uxCdbxQtIEg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxCdbxQtIEg[/video]

This sums it up beautifully, thank you.

To me, this feels like Sinnoh all over again--we're not getting as many new Pokemon because some of the older Pokemon are being upgraded, which leaves the regional Dex to suffer quite a bit. Granted, the game looks beautiful but when you strip that away, there isn't a lot there and that is truly sad.

I'm not sure when he made this video, but Smogon has been banning the more game-breaking Megas to the Uber tier. And it would have been better if Mega Evolution was used to make some of the UU Pokemon more useable in OU instead of as a vehicle for fan service.

My biggest disappointment was Game Freak toying with the idea of a corrupt Elite Four and doing nothing with it. They don't bother at all exploring whether or not the Elite Four are aware of Malva being a member of Team Flare. I think that if Lysandre had been the Champion, the story ultimately would have been resolved in a much better way. I think it's a cool idea to explore and it's a shame Game Freak didn't bother with it. It would have given the Elite Four much more character overall. It also would have been really cool that after you defeat Lysandre in Team Flare's HQ, you collect the final badge, find your way through victory road, and arrive at the Pokemon League only to find the Champion is Lysandre. Lysandre being Champion would make for a nice contrast to Lance, Steven, and Alder who were all good guys. I would say Cynthia but her connection to Cyrus was left ambiguous. She also left the player to do all the dirty work. Lance and Steven fought alongside the player and Alder took on N.

My only complaint is a lack of legends. Every generatipn since Kanto, we have had a trio of legendaries of about equal power and usually similar designs, the one exception to the latter being Gen V. And they just throw that concept out of the window. And those hating on Kanto, they are phasing out the need for older ganeration games to complete the Pokédex. I would not be surprised in the least if OR/AS had Ho-Oh and Lugia running around in it, not as events.

I'm not sure when he made this video, but Smogon has been banning the more game-breaking Megas to the Uber tier. And it would have been better if Mega Evolution was used to make some of the UU Pokemon more useable in OU instead of as a vehicle for fan service.
This. Dear Primus, this.

Mega Evolution should be used to boost a Pokemon that needs it, not give a popular and/or powerful one even more exposure. Did Garchomp really need a Mega? Was it necessary to give two to Charizard and only one to the other Kanto starters? Why Mega Lucario and not Mega Sawk? I think that's my biggest complaint with X and Y. It's carrying over a bit to ORAS too, as we're getting a Gen VI Mega and no Mega Gen V anything...

(I'm holding out hope that we might get a Gen V Mega in ORAS but I have all ideas that I'm gonna be a sad little fangirl in this case.)

There are certainly Gen V Pokemon that could use Mega or something. Klingklang has a decent special movepool and most nothing on the physical side and yet an abysmal special attack and incredible physical attack. A mega that reverses that would be nice.

There are certainly Gen V Pokemon that could use Mega or something. Klingklang has a decent special movepool and most nothing on the physical side and yet an abysmal special attack and incredible physical attack. A mega that reverses that would be nice.
It doesn't have a decent special movepool, either. It learns Flash Cannon, Hyper Beam and a variety of Electric-type moves. Compare them to Gear Grind, Giga Impact (or better yet, Return) and Wild Charge, and you'll see that the physical movepool is only worse in that Wild Charge is worse than the likes of Thunderbolt, Discharge and Volt Switch. But that's a problem with Electric-type moves rather than Klinklang, so I don't see why the solution should be turning it into a Magnezone. It has two signature moves in Gear Grind (a physical move which is arguably better than Iron Head, although its accuracy leaves something to be desired) and Gear Switch, which boosts Attack in addition to doubling Speed.

Last edited:
Hello, I am Lysandre. Please ignore that ominous theme, I'm totally not a villain.

No no no, don't buff Arcanine; they finally made Entei worth using and he's one of my favorite legendary designs :mad:

In all seriousness, the biggest problem I've had with XY is the fact that there isn't a whole lot to do post game aside from the Looker Sidequest and Battle Maison. Battle Maison just feels like a rehash of the Battle Tower, which we've seen in every generation since Crystal. At least previous Battle Frontiers had variety in their battle facilities.

Another more minor complaint: why can't I use pokebank to store items? I want to start another playthough before ORAS, but I don't want to lose my Blazikenite from the release event.

That people couldn't transfer up any legit shiny Jirachis (I'm not one of them but I feel for the people who did), and then Japan goes and announces a shiny Jirachi event.

Megas are cool but they do concentrate usage not the mention barely anyone has them. I'm pretty conflicted on the matter.

Ever since Pokemon came out, people are now overusing legendary Pokemon. Also, how the F*** do some people bypass the restrictions on illegal Pokemon, how the f*** do they let hackers bypass their restrictions without banning them. Sorry for cursing but it's real. King Fils-Aime should just shoot a laser at these hackers.

One complaint that I've had across all generations with online support: why is there no proper way to negotiate trades from within the game without using a third-party forum like this one? It's a pain trying to trade with people when you have no idea what the other guy wants. One of the people I've traded with before keeps trying to trade with me, but to this day I have no bloody clue what he wants because there's no way to communicate beyond showing each other pokemon.

One clever way to get around this that I've seen is nicknaming garbage pokemon with things like "DOYOUGOTANEGG" and showing those. By the way, I didn't at the time, and had to cut off the trade because I had no way of responding to the guy or telling him that I could get one if he gave me a few minutes.

One complaint that I've had across all generations with online support: why is there no proper way to negotiate trades from within the game without using a third-party forum like this one? It's a pain trying to trade with people when you have no idea what the other guy wants. One of the people I've traded with before keeps trying to trade with me, but to this day I have no bloody clue what he wants because there's no way to communicate beyond showing each other pokemon.

One clever way to get around this that I've seen is nicknaming garbage pokemon with things like "DOYOUGOTANEGG" and showing those. By the way, I didn't at the time, and had to cut off the trade because I had no way of responding to the guy or telling him that I could get one if he gave me a few minutes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but Nintendo has never allowed people to communicate through their devices to a degree where you could easily negotiate trades or battles, because their logic is that to do that would destroy their image as the little kid gaming company. With both Swapnote and Flipnote 3D, Nintendo has taken down the option to communicate privately because it can supposedly be used for malevolent purposes. So this might not neccessarily be Game Freak's fault, but Nintendo restricting what Game Freak can do.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but Nintendo has never allowed people to communicate through their devices to a degree where you could easily negotiate trades or battles, because their logic is that to do that would destroy their image as the little kid gaming company. With both Swapnote and Flipnote 3D, Nintendo has taken down the option to communicate privately because it can supposedly be used for malevolent purposes. So this might not neccessarily be Game Freak's fault, but Nintendo restricting what Game Freak can do.

True, but they've allowed us to do things like communicate with canned phrases before (in fact, you already can with a couple PSS functions like the passive greetings). Why can't they do that? You could piece together a message like "Do you have a [insert Pokemon]?" or send a message like "Be right back" so they know why you're about to cancel the trade or something.

I'm just kind of annoyed because the guy in my story was making a pretty good offer on one of the starters I was breeding, but wanted an egg. I had no way to tell him that I needed to grab another from the day care and had to miss out on the trade.

True, but they've allowed us to do things like communicate with canned phrases before (in fact, you already can with a couple PSS functions like the passive greetings). Why can't they do that? You could piece together a message like "Do you have a [insert Pokemon]?" or send a message like "Be right back" so they know why you're about to cancel the trade or something.

I'm just kind of annoyed because the guy in my story was making a pretty good offer on one of the starters I was breeding, but wanted an egg. I had no way to tell him that I needed to grab another from the day care and had to miss out on the trade.

This is true as well. I am not exactly sure of this because I have never had the reason to use it, but isn't there a voice chat option when you are trading and battling over internet? But then again, a lot of people might be reluctant to use it for privacy reasons.

This is true as well. I am not exactly sure of this because I have never had the reason to use it, but isn't there a voice chat option when you are trading and battling over internet? But then again, a lot of people might be reluctant to use it for privacy reasons.

There was while battling in Gen V, but it was so bad quality it was pretty much unusable. There might be while battling friends in gen VI, but I've never done it myself so I can't be sure. There definitely isn't voice while trading though.

There was while battling in Gen V, but it was so bad quality it was pretty much unusable. There might be while battling friends in gen VI, but I've never done it myself so I can't be sure. There definitely isn't voice while trading though.
Actually you can enable voice chat when trading/battling with Friends the same in either Gen V or VI, and it really does help (esp. since Gen VI's trading format provides basically NO other means of live communication). I know that communication between players of different languages is a potential snag, but even if they just allowed you to create predefined messages and then text those to each other in real time during the trade (e.g. "Do you have [Pokemon]?") would be a massive help.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom