• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Re: (READ POST #18) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Currently six badges in the game and this is my thoughts thus far:

- Having the customization for the Trainer Videos stay on your character. I want to keep my freckles damnit!
- Having Charizard as the only Kanto starter to get two mega evolutions. I chose Charmander sure since I always pick fire starters, but I think it's just a slap in the face for the fans that did pick Bulbasaur and Squirtle.
- Not being able to turn off the roller skates. I like to use my Circle Pad to walk around because DIAGONAL OMG. Even though I do like the roller skates for a faster mode of transport, I think it'd be nice to be able to turn them off in the Options menu.
- More bike colours!

I'm not upset at GF making less than 70 Pokemon for this gen since they had to create brand new 3D sprites for 600+ Pokemon.

I'm not too upset about the 70 pokemon either. All of these pokemon have different animations for Amie as well as in-battle animations, it probably ate up a lot of their time. The Charizard getting 2 Megas kinda bothered me too, as I'm a Blastoise fan, but I like the Blastoise mega enough that I'm not as irked about it anymore. HE'S A TURTLE TANK. And I'm not a huge fan of either of the Charizard mega designs.

Re: The Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Is there ONE Gen were we don't have to deal with Kanto?

Unova, B/W1.

I said Gen, not game. While, yes, BW didn't have ANY Kanto Mons, it was still part of Gen V that DID have Kanto Mons. So my statement stands.

Send an e-mail suggesting this to GF. Maybe they will listen.

I don't they'll even listen.
I done it last time and I didn't got a reply for the last 6 years
They'll never listen to fans that live in the West and only listen to fans that lives in Japan

If that's so, what did you expect? Pokemon is a Japanese game created by a Japanese game company.

but everyone and every country knows pokemon (like super mario)
can you give a game company from the America a chance to make their own Pokemon game for once

Why would Gamefreak give up Pokemon and let somebody else take over when it is performing so well?

America already have Microsoft and Sony, they don't need Nintendo as well. I'd much prefer Japan to keep their gaming company.

I'm not sure why you're complaining about Kanto only. Most generations have Pokemon from pretty much every other generation beforehand. Kanto is where everything started, it isn't going to disappear.

Unova, B/W1.

I said Gen, not game. While, yes, BW didn't have ANY Kanto Mons, it was still part of Gen V that DID have Kanto Mons. So my statement stands.

They'll never listen to fans that live in the West and only listen to fans that lives in Japan

If that's so, what did you expect? Pokemon is a Japanese game created by a Japanese game company.

can you give a game company from the America a chance to make their own Pokemon game for once

Why would Gamefreak give up Pokemon and let somebody else take over when it is performing so well?

America already have Microsoft and Sony, they don't need Nintendo as well. I'd much prefer Japan to keep their gaming company.

I'm not sure why you're complaining about Kanto only. Most generations have Pokemon from pretty much every other generation beforehand. Kanto is where everything started, it isn't going to disappear.

Mostly agree. Though they could tone it down a bit. But it's a good tool to suck older fans back in.

Pokemon made in the west. Yeah, Vanillite was made by a westerner. You guys want the games to go to 'Foodiemon, Gotta Eat 'Em All!'? Where the mascot is Pikachip, and the starters are Bulburger, Charmeringue and Squirtofu?

Chesnaught I love you, but your Fighting STAB options really blow. After beating the E4 I tested to see what moves Chespin could inherit, and it couldn't get Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Cross Chop, Superpower, Close Combat, Storm Throw or Circle Throw.

That leaves Brick Break and Hammer Arm as your best options...which are pretty awful tbh

Just got 6 badges, and I'm quite disappointed that the frame rate drops everytime I switch on 3D during battle.. I love seeing the moves in 3D..:p

I'm kinda disappointed that most Fairy types are feminine looking.(I'm looking at you, Aromatisse) we also have a Pokémon based on keys. KEYS!

I guess since they introduced a new type and mega evolution, they thought we wouldn'd mind. WRONG.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess since they introduced a new type and mega evolution, they thought we wouldn'd mind. WRONG.

*and created 3d models for 700+ pokemon, along with new sprites

That to, and at least feniken wasen't fire/fighting

Unova, B/W1.

Mostly agree. Though they could tone it down a bit. But it's a good tool to suck older fans back in.

Pokemon made in the west. Yeah, Vanillite was made by a westerner. You guys want the games to go to 'Foodiemon, Gotta Eat 'Em All!'? Where the mascot is Pikachip, and the starters are Bulburger, Charmeringue and Squirtofu?

So was Golett and a handful of others whose names and designs are not food-related. Let's not stray into stereotypes. Back on topic.

Also the Pokemon Company will remain as is unless something major occurs that could threaten its prosperity to shut down, which I am sure the staff have planned ahead to prevent.

Last edited:

Fighting Foodons was an amazing anime, I want more food Pokemon. I'd totally use a Bulburger.

One of the few disappointments was the awkward camera angles. It made it hard to know when a trainer is ahead.

• Way too few pokemon - Really a shame since they were on a role with making good pokemon this gen. But I think each gen should have 100 minimum, so 31 under my limit is really annoying for me.
  • Mega Evolutions - I see why some people like the idea, but I dislike them is because I see it simply as glorifying already popular pokemon even more. It also makes the original form seem worse in battle but the mega evolutions generally look awful. Also if they spent less time making the mega evos, we'd most likely have more pokemon that are actually new, rather than rehashed and exaggerated designs.
  • Team Flare - Simply they were ridiculous. They look horrendous and they are impossible to take seriously, despite their plan is the most lethal so far. Most embarrasing team ever.
  • Tierno and Trevor - I liked Shauna and Serena, but these two were annoying imo. Whenever Tierno made an appearance on screen, I felt like facepalming.
  • Still no multiple save files - I know it's unlikely they'll add them, but I still think it's rubbish people can't play the game for a second time without deleting their old files. Virtually every game allows you to do this, even ones that have really greedy publishers.
  • Still no Dark gym - So we've had Electric gyms in every gen except 2, but still no Dark gym?
  • Character customisation could be better - More of nitpick as I still think it's fantastic they finally added it, but I think you should have been able to design yourself from the start then buy new clothes. Also it's really annoying you can't remove your hat (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong).
  • To much French culture - This is purely subjective, but I disliked how much they used French culture considering I'm just not very fond of it.
  • Very long fly animation
  • Central, Coastal and Mountain pokedexes - I really don't see the need to split the regional dex up. They obviously can physically handle it all on one page as demonstrated by the national dex, data isn't really an issue. I also find having to switch between each dex as I'm browsing through, a complete nuisance. When planning out what team I want, or which pokemon I should catch, it's so much harder not being able to see everything at once. It would be fine if they at least gave us an option to view it as one regional dex. I'm also annoyed that removed the habitat list as it was really useful.

Please politely correct me if there is anything I have said that is wrong as it be very helpful.

And to finish these are still phenomenal games, possibly the best pokemon games imo.

1. Small number of new Pokemons and only 3 legendaries. Every new generation, I always look forwards for the new Pokemon designs and abilities.
I always have the "the more, the merrier" mentality. Before X&Y was released, I was so ecstatic to see that all the new Pokemons have amazing designs.
Especially after Gen V where I thought the Pokemons were underwhelming. I could say eventhough Gen VI has fewer new Pokemons, the quality is superb
compare to the over 100+ new Pokemons of Sinnoh or Unova. But still, I couldn't help wishing they made more of this amazingly designed new Pokemons.
And while many people despise the too many legendary Pokemons in every generation (Sinnoh & Hoenn), I love them! Brings more choices for the uber meta game.
Also I commend GameFreak for being unpredictable in game decisions this generation, I just thought most of them could be done better.

2. Removing of a lot of great features from Gen V. Join Avenue is one of my most beloved features GameFreak has made. I was very sad this wasn't in the Gen VI
considering this could be really be very well incorporated with StreetPass.

• To much French culture - This is purely subjective, but I disliked how much they used French culture considering I'm just not very fond of it.

• That's because Kalos is

France

France

• Lol, valid point. But I still feel they over did it. Unova was based of New York, but they didn't seem to include too much American culture. I like the idea of basing the shape of a region off a real life place, but I feel culture should be made up. To me it just felt like they screaming "THIS IS FRANCE" during a fair amount of the game. It was just really forced. And it wasn't exactly one of the most exciting places to base a region off imo.

I think it's got a lot to do with the Francophilia in Japanese culture. Which is also why we got the likes of Fantina constantly babbling in a dreadful French accent in the anime.Oh, and Burgundy, still babbling in French, though mercifully without the accent

Lumiose City.

The freaking camera angles @_@ I can't walk 5 steps without crashing into something.Not to mention it's the biggest city in the game and the camera angles make it so much harder to get around and find places. I hope that whenever they fix the save glitch they do something about the camera angles (though I doubt that.)

Also I wish that the other two guys did more in the game. Shauna did annoy me at first but towards the end I started to like her a little better. Out of the five it seems like Calem (since I played as Serena) got the most development, and I kind of liked the friendship/rivalry you have with him towards the end.

France

• Lol, valid point. But I still feel they over did it. Unova was based of New York, but they didn't seem to include too much American culture. I like the idea of basing the shape of a region off a real life place, but I feel culture should be made up. To me it just felt like they screaming "THIS IS FRANCE" during a fair amount of the game. It was just really forced. And it wasn't exactly one of the most exciting places to base a region off imo.

• I suspect the lack of American culture was due to the fact that it was the first region not based on Japan, so they played it safe. The translation also probably wasn't on the same level.

Older Pokemon games' translations always seemed so robotic and lifeless.

• Way too few pokemon - Really a shame since they were on a role with making good pokemon this gen. But I think each gen should have 100 minimum, so 31 under my limit is really annoying for me.
    Quality over quantity. Generation V introduced the largest number of new Pokemon, but they weren't as good. In contrast, this gen introduced a small number of mostly good Pokemon.
  • Mega Evolutions - I see why some people like the idea, but I dislike them is because I see it simply as glorifying already popular pokemon even more. It also makes the original form seem worse in battle but the mega evolutions generally look awful. Also if they spent less time making the mega evos, we'd most likely have more pokemon that are actually new, rather than rehashed and exaggerated designs.
    I can agree that the mega evolutions weren't necessary, but they don't all look awful and they aren't all rehashed. I must say, many of the evolutions introduced in Generation IV were more rehashed and worse designed than many of the mega evolutions. I actually don't really mind the idea of mega evolutions.
  • Team Flare - Simply they were ridiculous. They look horrendous and they are impossible to take seriously, despite their plan is the most lethal so far. Most embarrasing team ever.
    Team Galactic says hello. As do Aqua and Magma.
  • Tierno and Trevor - I liked Shauna and Serena, but these two were annoying imo. Whenever Tierno made an appearance on screen, I felt like facepalming.
    Typical. Liking the female characters, probably solely because they're female, but hating the male characters. Honestly, Tierno and Trevor weren't much of a problem for me.
  • Still no multiple save files - I know it's unlikely they'll add them, but I still think it's rubbish people can't play the game for a second time without deleting their old files. Virtually every game allows you to do this, even ones that have really greedy publishers.
    Why don't you complain about this for all the other Pokemon games. This is a flaw with the series, not the game.
  • Still no Dark gym - So we've had Electric gyms in every gen except 2, but still no Dark gym?
    How does this significantly impact the game?
  • Character customisation could be better - More of nitpick as I still think it's fantastic they finally added it, but I think you should have been able to design yourself from the start then buy new clothes. Also it's really annoying you can't remove your hat (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong).
    I can agree that it's annoying to not be able to remove your hat. Luckily, there are some decent hat styles so it's not too big a problem. Designing yourself from the start could have worked as well, but honestly, it didn't really affect me having to wait to customize my character.
    Yet you don't seem to have a problem with the American culture in Generation V or the Japanese culture in Generation II.
  • Very long fly animation
    Turn the 3D off.
  • Central, Coastal and Mountain pokedexes - I really don't see the need to split the regional dex up. They obviously can physically handle it all on one page as demonstrated by the national dex, data isn't really an issue. I also find having to switch between each dex as I'm browsing through, a complete nuisance. When planning out what team I want, or which pokemon I should catch, it's so much harder not being able to see everything at once. It would be fine if they at least gave us an option to view it as one regional dex. I'm also annoyed that removed the habitat list as it was really useful.
    I haven't screwed around with the 'Dex much yet, so I don't have much to say on this topic. I mean, it's slightly annoying, but nothing too bad.

Please politely correct me if there is anything I have said that is wrong as it be very helpful.

And to finish these are still phenomenal games, possibly the best pokemon games imo.

Honestly, Team Flare didn't bother me. The leader was an actually decent character, and while the team was kind of odd, they were still eons better than Team Galactic.

France

• I'm not seeing how this screams "THIS IS FRANCE" so much more than Unova screamed it was America.

I might be slightly biased because I like European culture and architecture, but I still don't see it.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom