• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Re: (READ POST #18) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

I wonder if they'll add more Pokémon in the third or squeal games? Has anyone cracked the coding and found place holders for as of yet revealed Pokémon?

also forgive me if this has already been discussed. I'm not too good with Forums, they tend to confuse me. ^^;

Now that I've finished the game, I can give some disappointing things I found about it, there's probably more but I just wanted to get the big one out:

-Definitely be the lack of character for most of the NPCs, say what you will about DP and BW but I liked that they tried to give their gym leaders, rivals and other characters more depth to them, I don't feel the same for the ones in this game. The Gym Leaders go back to the old "I'm just going to give you a badge!" and have no involvement in the plot excluding Korrina, the rivals are pretty one note overall with Tierno and Trevor not really having more then one definable trait and not really contributing to the plot, Serena/Calem and Shauna are a bit better, but they still lack in some areas themselves. The champion is probably the one that annoys me the most though, that's the character that's supposed to have a bit more character to them, or at least some involvement in the plot and the they don't here, they're very one note and just basically say "hi!" from time to time before you fight them.

-Similarly, Team Flare and the Legendaries really needed to be fleshed out because while there's some potential there and they don't really tap it. For instance, Lysandre's reasoning for his actions could make a good point but they don't really expand much more on that and it's more glossed over then given depth.

-Also, the lack of new Pokémon is a minor gripe because I understand why it happened, I just miss having that variety to choose from. Mega Evolution I guess may count, but I'm not a fan of how it's been executed so far and the fact that I have to get most within a very restricted timeframe doesn't help. Related to that, I'm also not happy that there's a significant lack of legendaries to catch. At their worst, they gave me something to do and look for and they only give you three here for that, less then even Kanto. So that takes away some of the enjoyment in post-game.

Last edited:

This may have been mentioned already, but the Elite Four and Champion were wayyyyy too easy. I OHKO'd all of them, except for Siebold's Gyarados. The whole game wasn't that difficult, though, to be honest. :/ Still fun, nonetheless.

Is it just me who doesn't get the totally random occasions where the game is helpful about depositing Pokemon or getting Pokemon from boxes?

Take when you capture Xerneas/Yveltal - you have the option to put them straight into your party after the capture and send one of your Pokemon to a box. When you trade with Shauna for the starter you're weak to, you can grab a Pokemon from a box. When you resuscitate a fossil they put it into the PC for you if your party is full.

But to get that Lapras from the guy, get an egg, take/deposit a Pokemon in day care, etc. you have to make the spot in your party yourself.

It's especially annoying for breeding - there's a PC right there, why can't they use it for me and let me swap the Pokemon I'm breeding without all the effort - or put eggs on a shelf for me to pick up in batches or something. Considering how many Pokemon in the game you can only get by breeding evolved forms, you'd think that's something they'd make easier?

I wish I could just sent text messages to friends instead of using Game Chat. My connection is pretty weak, on top of the pretty bad sound quality, and I just don't feel like talking over a 3DS. One guy kept trying to use it, and I kept saying no, until he eventually gave up and disconected. He isn't from Bulbagarden, he was just a passerby that battled me twice. I sent him a Swapnote telling him to come to this site but I doubt he's going to read it. ...Here we go again, another person who keeps trying to game chat. So annoying.

Also some things are just tedious. Why does it ask if I want to pull weeds? Why would I say no? Why does picking up and item take so many button clicks and an animation? Why does it ask if I want to Wonder Trade after I clicked the button labeled "Wonder Trade"? These are just nitpicks, not as much of a problem as I have with what I said above and how I can't use both Meowstic genders as a tag team in online randoms.

Last edited:

The box swap thing is rather odd.

And I have to agree on Lumiose - with all the fantastic changes they made, the "viewpoint" they chose when in Lumiose is very poorly implemented.

Honestly I love the game overall but GF did a few strange things this time around.

However, on the difficulty front, while I've never found any Pokemon game "difficult" I will say this - you want a better challenge, play w/o Exp All turned on. I shut mine off about halfway through just because of how badly things were ballooning and it's been a more enjoyable challenge at certain points. I actually got wiped out by one of the sky trainers as I only had Charizard and the bastard dropped a equal level Flygon with Stone Edge on me >.>

-The gym leaders and the E4 used only two to four Pokemon.
-The bad guys were absolutely pathetic. Lysandre and his minions weren't even trying to put up a fight, they practically told the player what to do and where to go to stop them. :sweat:
-The customization blows. I hate the inability to remove the PC's hat, that clothes are gender specific, the lack of diversity for clothes, hair/eye/skin color and hair styles, and from the beginning you're stuck with one of three looks rather than being able to have more options.

The gameplay is the smoothest to date but the overall experience for someone that has been playing for years is abhorrent !!! The game is incomplete ! I can deal with only 69 new pokes (we do have 700+ now) but there are still so many things missing.

- NO Trio !?! How dafuq are the elemental birds a replacement? I've caught them in like every gen so far and they've completely lost all rarity.

- NO side quest!?! First you take my contests ... but i was ok with this hollywood, olympics, broadway business it kept me entertained... until you took it all away.

- No cross-gen evolutions !?! I swear at some point in gen 5 we were promised we'd get some in gen 6. And it's not even logical that we have sylveon without draceon, you can break tradition GF but not common sense. (i'm sure if you don't know already there are a plethora of reasons that we NEEDED a dragon eeveelution)

- Why no strong fairies?

- This post-game is pathetic...

- Wait this isn't Kanto? it's kalos??? I thought that was just a typo .... but we got the kanto starters! it seems only the kanto mons mega evolve! damn it even mew two shows up!!

TBH I don't mind the characters and story, it's cute. But with all this hint dropping about other regions (the war, the backpacker's souvenir, the tourists' multiple facts), the odd lumiose Ghost, and the fact that we haven't cracked the code give me hope that we will get a new region within this "generation" ... and for the love of arceus it better be soon

Is it just me who doesn't get the totally random occasions where the game is helpful about depositing Pokemon or getting Pokemon from boxes?

Take when you capture Xerneas/Yveltal - you have the option to put them straight into your party after the capture and send one of your Pokemon to a box. When you trade with Shauna for the starter you're weak to, you can grab a Pokemon from a box. When you resuscitate a fossil they put it into the PC for you if your party is full.

But to get that Lapras from the guy, get an egg, take/deposit a Pokemon in day care, etc. you have to make the spot in your party yourself.

It's especially annoying for breeding - there's a PC right there, why can't they use it for me and let me swap the Pokemon I'm breeding without all the effort - or put eggs on a shelf for me to pick up in batches or something. Considering how many Pokemon in the game you can only get by breeding evolved forms, you'd think that's something they'd make easier?

I wish we could automatically deposit eggs into the PC too. I'm basically a shiny Charmander/Chespin factory right now for a friend of mine and I'll trade the eggs to her, and it's annoying to keep having to go put each egg into the PC when I get one and go back on my bike again and ride around until another egg appears (I don't keep more than one egg in my party, I don't want any to hatch. She wants to be OT.)

Yeah the E4 and Champion were easy, but I suppose me being way overleveled due to Exp All took part in that, haha.

I do wish the Team Flare story was better and more fleshed out. It felt kind of rushed, considering their plan was super dangerous, possibly the most threatening yet.

The gameplay is the smoothest to date but the overall experience for someone that has been playing for years is abhorrent !!! The game is incomplete ! I can deal with only 69 new pokes (we do have 700+ now) but there are still so many things missing.

- NO Trio !?! How dafuq are the elemental birds a replacement? I've caught them in like every gen so far and they've completely lost all rarity.

- NO side quest!?! First you take my contests ... but i was ok with this hollywood, olympics, broadway business it kept me entertained... until you took it all away.

- No cross-gen evolutions !?! I swear at some point in gen 5 we were promised we'd get some in gen 6. And it's not even logical that we have sylveon without draceon, you can break tradition GF but not common sense. (i'm sure if you don't know already there are a plethora of reasons that we NEEDED a dragon eeveelution)

- Why no strong fairies?

- This post-game is pathetic...

- Wait this isn't Kanto? it's kalos??? I thought that was just a typo .... but we got the kanto starters! it seems only the kanto mons mega evolve! damn it even mew two shows up!!

TBH I don't mind the characters and story, it's cute. But with all this hint dropping about other regions (the war, the backpacker's souvenir, the tourists' multiple facts), the odd lumiose Ghost, and the fact that we haven't cracked the code give me hope that we will get a new region within this "generation" ... and for the love of arceus it better be soon

zwait why did we need a Dragon-type eeveelution so bad? Also, Xerneas? Sylveon? Azumarill? Gardevoir? Togekiss?

Come to think, just remembered a little disappointment I had about Team Flare...

Come on, Lysandre, the king of fabulousity. Why on earth your Mega is not Ampharos???

I'm not too far into the game, but two things in particular really annoy me about it.

1. The lack of 3D. This game had so much potential for 3D use, and it only shows up in battles. This also worries me that future 3DS games might also take the 3D optional route, eliminating one of the coolest features of the system.

2. Team flare. After getting to know Team Plasma, these guys just make me cringe. They're absolutely ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game, but I feel that these areas could have been drastically improved.

I'm not too far into the game, but two things in particular really annoy me about it.

1. The lack of 3D. This game had so much potential for 3D use, and it only shows up in battles. This also worries me that future 3DS games might also take the 3D optional route, eliminating one of the coolest features of the system.

2. Team flare. After getting to know Team Plasma, these guys just make me cringe. They're absolutely ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game, but I feel that these areas could have been drastically improved.
I think the reason behind lack of 3D is that having it on all the time would cause performance issues. After all, it has to render it twice!

I thought the games were pretty good....as for complaints I have only a few

*The number of new pokemon. It's not just that by itself so much as we got what...80% of them revealed pre game? I think just in terms of absolute numbers, XY had the most pokemon reveled prerelease. Anyone have more precise numbers on this?
*The lack of postgame. Seriously, these have one small town, with a battle tower clone, and that's it. Easily the worst postgame in the franchise since Gen I. It's really frustrating that they keep saving features like more postgame, battle frontier/PWT for third versions/sequels.
*The lack of high level trainers and an easy source for money. Black Tower/White Treehollow were perfect for high level trainers and for getting cash. There's nothing like this in XY. With the clothes, these are really the first games where one has a need for a lot of money. Again, I'm sure they'll fix this in XY2/Z/gen 6.5/whatever but...what was stopping them from putting it in XY??
*The Camera angles. In the first trailer, they showed us some really dynamic camera angles but I think those were the only ones where it was anything but the standard angle. After that trailer, seemed like we'd get some cool stuff. Kinda like how they showed us Castelia and Skyarrow in the first BW screenshots, and of course the rest of the game was nothing like that.

Other than those, I thought the games were really cool.

Spoilers for later in the game, showing why Team Flare is totally boss:
Unlike Team Plasma, Team Flare actually get shit done. They steal lots of electricity, they steal a ton of Pokeballs, they kidnap someone and steal his most important item, then go back on their word (after promising not to continue after you beat them in battle) and start their master plan anyway forcing you to physically render their ultimate machine inoperable

Team Flare, while acting ridiculous, are actually a team that are all powerful. Unlike Team Plasma, who keel over for a child after a mere Pokemon battle.

Gotta say I agree with the glorification of Kanto. Feels like Gamefreak wants to win back the Genwunners, even though the Genwunners are nine-time-out-of-ten going to buy any games they put out anyways. There really is no need!

zwait why did we need a Dragon-type eeveelution so bad? Also, Xerneas? Sylveon? Azumarill? Gardevoir? Togekiss?

When I said no powerful fairies I mean there were no really competitively viable fairies introduced. Azumarill, Gardevoir and togekiss are from previous generations and Xerneas is banned from Wi-fi. I was hoping for some amazing 550-600 BST fairy like the pseudos or like volcarona but I guess with their typing all the fairies are arguable "good".

And the dragon eeveelution business it pretty straightforward. In generation 1 Psychic was OP so dark was introduced, and we got espeon and umbreon a dark/psychic pair. Now Dragons were OP so fairies were introduced and we got Sylveon so we might as well have gotten Draceon. On top of this Dragon is the only previously "special" type that didn't get an eeveelution so this has been wanted long before fairy-type was even conceptualized. It was always argued that eeveelutions were adaptions to natural circumstances (day, night, water, forest, fire, snow etc.) so how would you adapt into a dragon? But if eevee could become a FAIRY what's been stopping it from becoming a Dragon? Perhaps it's not Logically necessary... but really is anything in Pokemon logical? we needed Draceon anyways. I still have hope he's hidden in the code and TPCi will make another big media/promotion deal when the next games come out.

Spoilers for later in the game, showing why Team Flare is totally boss:
Unlike Team Plasma, Team Flare actually get shit done. They steal lots of electricity, they steal a ton of Pokeballs, they kidnap someone and steal his most important item, then go back on their word (after promising not to continue after you beat them in battle) and start their master plan anyway forcing you to physically render their ultimate machine inoperable

Team Flare, while acting ridiculous, are actually a team that are all powerful. Unlike Team Plasma, who keel over for a child after a mere Pokemon battle.

Not really, Team Flare is about as successful as the other teams. They succeed in their mini-missions despite the kids interfering, nearly succeed in their plans and then trip at the last second as the kids stop/catch whatever powerful legendary appears, no more, no less. The only difference that Team Flare really has is that they give you a choice that could doom everyone if you chose wrong (which didn't matter anyway as they activate the machine themselves).

My biggest complaint is the Elite 4/Champion.

I liked the E4's designs and Pokemon teams just fine- thought they had well put together teams and designs. I'll put the rest under a spoiler for those that aren't there yet.

But my biggest gripe was that the second time through, their Pokemon don't level up, and they have the same team as they did the first time you fought them. Where's the challenge in that?

The Champion wasn't all that big of a surprise to me either. I wish she had interacted with you a bit more along your journey though, because I wasn't really all that excited to battle her like I was Cynthia, or even Lance, etc. Her Mega Evolution was a surprise, but overall battling her...wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be?

I kind of miss when the E4 got progressively more difficult as you went through them. Battling them in the order you want was fun at first (and gives you a chance to level up Pokemon you know you might need later to defeat the rest/the Champion) but it doesn't feel as much as a challenge as it was in games past. My team was in the low to mid 70's when I went through the first time because I was expecting the Champion's Pokemon to be around that, but I think her highest was level 66 or so? At least when they did this in Unova, they had a stronger team the next time around.

I dont care about the fewer pokemon. This way, we might get more quality pokemon design wise. Amount aside, I find this generation to have the best designed pokemon since generation 2.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom