• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Readjusting certain Pokémon in regards to Mega Evolution?

Will Game Freak adjust Movesets and stats for Mega Evolving Pokémon due to absent mechanics?

• Yes

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Kallyle

Starwalker Neo
Reaction score
It seems that all of the Mega Evolutions for the Kanto Pokémon are confirmed. However, some of these Megas are only at their best due to certain abilities and egg moves, both of which are absent in LGPE. In fact, a good chunk of the Kanto Mega Evolution roster had stats increases and move rosters that were meant to compliment their abilities and possibly changed typing. Examples of this include, but are not limited to:
  • Mega Charizard X [Fire/Dragon]: Without move tutors and breeding mechanics, the latter confirmed to be absent and the former likely not showing up, its only STAB options become Dragon Claw and Dragon Tail from TMs.
  • Mega Pidgeot [Normal/Flying]: It has a boost in Special Attack stat rather than Attack solely due to the No Guard+Hurricane combo, which does it no favors in a game where abilities are absent.
  • Mega Pinsir [Bug/Flying]: Its Flying-type STAB is solely attainable due to the Aerialate ability converting its Normal-type moves. There are currently no Flying-type moves that Pinsir learns.

This brings me to the topic of this thread: do you think Game Freak will adjust the movepool and stats of the Mega Evolving Pokémon to accommodate the lack of abilities and suitable movepools for their changed typing? How would you adjust the movesets and stats of the Kanto Pokémon in regards to Mega Evolution?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't go very far to make changes when the other Pokemon don't have abilities, held items, egg moves or Move Tutors by your assumption.

Still, give Pinsir Acrobatics and it will be a happy camper. Pidgeot could use Hyper Voice.

Well if the trailers are anything to go by, it seems Mega Charizard X is using what looks to be either Dragon Breath or Dragon Pulse, both of which it can't learn conventionally, so I would naturally assume that there might be a upgrade to move selection or level up moves. This may also be the case seeing (unless exclusive to the starter ones) Pikachu and Eevee learn Double Kick, a move that they previously couldn't learn naturally.

In regards to Move Tutors, I want to keep an open mind, but also have some Wishful Thinking in that we MAY have Move Tutors (though it maybe restrained for Pikachu, Eevee, and to teach the starters the Elemental Hyper Beams or Pledge Moves) and maybe the Move Re-learner (if they keep the meta that certain moves can be obtained that way).

Quite frankly, I wouldn't go very far to make changes when the other Pokemon don't have abilities, held items, egg moves or Move Tutors by your assumption.

Still, give Pinsir Acrobatics and it will be a happy camper. Pidgeot could use Hyper Voice.
Honestly.. I think it might depend on how Acrobatics is worked in LGPE seeing as its base power is 55 it might be a bit too much if it becomes 110 for every Pokémon with no drawbacks. Especially for one like Mega Pinsir.. Aerial Ace seems most likely in this situation with the lack of Physical flying moves that it could potentially learn.. Adjusting Acrobatics to 85 or 90 for these games sounds reasonable though..

Better idea: introduce a reliable physical Flying-type move whose distribution isn't limited by anatomy. I honestly find the -ate abilities pointless because Aerialate feels like Game Freak getting around having to do that, and Pokémon with all the other -ate abilities already have reliable moves of those types.

I don't think this game would prioritize fighting too much. GF would probably show off how Pokemon on the Switch works and Pokemon Go compatibility through LGPE, while also pandering for nostalgia.

I don't think they'll prioritize fighting so much, since Go is rather weak on fighting.

Instead, I think they'll prioritize catching and use it as a graphics and connectivity test platform for Gen 8. If we're lucky, it'll have Bank connectivity.

Considering Let's Go is a spinoff with battling as a secondary feature of the games as opposed to primary, I imagine megas will just be about the stat boost rather than an ability or unique move.

Considering Let's Go is a spinoff with battling as a secondary feature of the games as opposed to primary, I imagine megas will just be about the stat boost rather than an ability or unique move.
You're welcome to your own opinion, but as far as Game Freak is concerned, LGPE is absolutely a primary game and not a spinoff.

You're welcome to your own opinion, but as far as Game Freak is concerned, LGPE is absolutely a primary game and not a spinoff.

The reviews they're getting seem to disagree.

Really? That’s what you’re going with? Okay....

Part of the problem in saying a game with this much divergence from the standard is a mainline game is selling the premise to your consumers. If you can sell it to them, you'll get away with it. If you can't, nothing you can say will ever make them accept it, and trying too hard will just alienate them to the point they simply stop buying your products.

And this would not be the first franchise Nintendo has been involved in that would end up disavowing what was originally sold as a mainline game as being mainline. I think Nintendo is aware of the possibility, which is why we had the next gen announced as well.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom