• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Real" Names for Paradox Pokémon?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
I couldn't find an existing thread for this, and it's something I'm REALLY curious to hear thoughts on, so...

Paradox Pokémon are notable for having names that don't sound very much like Pokémon...but what if they did have more typical, Pokémon-like names? What names would you give the Paradox species? Please feel free to share your ideas (etymology/name meaning explanations highly encouraged)!

Here's my names, spoilered for length (and also because I, uh, apparently found some swear words in non-English languages? The games wouldn't let me nickname my Pokémon some of these until I took out syllables or spelled the name differently. Only the English meanings of the words are intended, I assure you!)

Iron Treads = Sphaneer (from "sphere"+"Donphan"+"veneer", for its shiny metallic look)
Iron Bundle = Parcyberd (from "parcel"+"cyber"+"bird")
Iron Hands = Sumanus (from "sumo"+"manus", Latin for hand. Also sounds kind of like "pseudo man", referencing its humanoid shape and the Occulture theory about it being a cybernetically reconstructed athlete)
Iron Jugulis = Wyvier (from "wyvern"+"vier", German for four. I headcanon that the future Hydreigon line counts down six-five-four in German with its names the same way the original line counts up one-two-three in German with its names. Don't have names for future Deino and Zweilous yet, though.)
Iron Moth = Corovirule (from "corona"+"virulent"+"virus"+"rule")
Iron Thorns = Generaytar (from "generator"+"ray"+"Tyranitar")
Iron Valiant = Gardevade (from just "Gardevoir"+"Gallade", but also contains "evade", referencing how it's the rarest future Paradox spawn.)
Iron Leaves = Virizitron (from "Virizion" and the robot-ey suffix "tron")
Iron Crown = Cobalitron (from "Cobalion" and the robot-ey suffix "tron". I liked the portmanteau, so I just ran with it for the whole trio, hehe...)

Great Tusk = Maxodon (from "max"+"Donphan"+"mastodon", an extinct creature resembling a mammoth.)
Scream Tail = Lullurcry (from "lull"+"lure"+"cry", all put together to sound like "lullaby". I headcanon that it CAN sing sweetly when it wants to, but mostly uses that ability to lure prey to its doom.)
Brute Bonnet = Apriscorn (from "apricorn"+"scorn")
Flutter Mane = Misdrecall (from "Misdreavus"+"mystical"+"call")
Slither Wing = Maulth (from "maul"+"moth")
Sandy Shocks = Lodeston (from "lodestone"+"Magneton")
Roaring Moon = Amphiterroar (from "amphiterre", a dragon-like creature depicted as a serpent with feathered wings,+"terror"+"roar")
Walking Wake = Sryucuine (pronounced "SRI-yu-coon", from "Suicune"+"ryu", Japanese for dragon)
Raging Bolt = Draikou (from "drake"+"Raikou". For this trio, I wanted to try to combine a word for dragon with the original beast's name.)

It is kind of a shame that we didn't get Pokémon styled names for these Pokémon like we got for the Ultra Beasts. Though in universewise, it might be because they are mostly unobservable. I do hate that all of the Future Paradoxes are Iron Something.

It is kind of a shame that we didn't get Pokémon styled names for these Pokémon like we got for the Ultra Beasts. Though in universewise, it might be because they are mostly unobservable. I do hate that all of the Future Paradoxes are Iron Something.
I am sure it’s because canonically, with the exceptions of Koraidon and Miraidon, the Paradox Pokémon had yet to be fully described. Even then, I think their official names should at least sound like proper Pokémon names and I headcanon their current ones as codenames.

I am sure it’s because canonically, with the exceptions of Koraidon and Miraidon, the Paradox Pokémon had yet to be fully described. Even then, I think their official names should at least sound like proper Pokémon names and I headcanon their current ones as codenames.
I am also sure that is the case. However, we won't really know if they get actual names for a while. I am still not a fan of the codenames for the Future Paradox Pokémon all having Iron in their names.

I think that Scream Tail was 100% a missed opportunity for the name "Pricklyfluff".

But other than that, a few that come to mind might be...

Iron Bundle = Kyewkaw (gewgaw
a flashy but otherwise useless trinket
+ kyuu
from the kanji 球 meaning sphere/ball, or electron tube/thermionic valve
+ caw
)
Iron Valiant = Glaivalor (glaive + valor + rearranged letters from Gallade and Gardevoir)
Flutter Mane = Marreavosa (mariposa
Spanish for butterfly
+ Misdreavus
)
Sandy Shocks = Magnelith (Magneton + megalith
a large, prehistoric stone structure
+ "magnêtis líthos"
Ancient Greek meaning lodestone,
also the root of the word "magnet".
)

I am also sure that is the case. However, we won't really know if they get actual names for a while. I am still not a fan of the codenames for the Future Paradox Pokémon all having Iron in their names.
I'm not really a fan of it myself. I sort of justify it in my head by the fact that Heath gave them those names a long time ago, (presumably) before the concept of robots really existed. The fact that these...living?...things all looked like they were made of metal despite mostly not being Steel type was what stood out the most to him, so "Iron" made it into all their names.

Great Tusk - Magentusk
Scream Tail- Hairyzuff
Brute Bonnet- Amoldoos
Flutter Mane- Pterorita
Slither Wing - Volcrawlona
Sandy Shocks- Magnefloor
Iron Treads- Autonphan
Iron Bundle- Delibot
Iron Hands- Voltasumo
Iron Jugulis- Airdreigon
Iron Moth- Solarona
Iron Thorns- Lightanitar