• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Real World Animals in Pokemon

Weren't there fish in the episode where Ash goes to Cerulean gym? And they deffinatly weren't magikarps.

Lets see, from the eevee thing, I only have one peice of information from that which I had copied a long while ago:

"Panic didn't really start until one of the creatures, which looked like a fat lizard, breathed fire at an old lady's dog and ate barbecued poodle for dinner. Attempts to capture the monsters became more desperate, but just a futile. Pocket monster extermination agencies began to pop up, but no one was sure if you could kill a pocket monster or not"

and finally this:

"Yes, only a kid would discover that a pokemon can only be held by a container smaller than the pokemon itself. A grown up would never have tried it. "

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but on a older Pokemon Trading Card of an oddish there's a normal frog sitting there

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but on a older Pokemon Trading Card of an oddish there's a normal frog sitting there
That frog being on the Rocket Oddish card.
http://www.pokezam.com/tcg/rocket/63.jpg

There are Butterflies on both the Rocket Slowpoke card and the Eevee Card.
The Slowpoke cards also have fish on them.
http://www.pokezam.com/tcg/jungle/51.jpg
http://www.pokezam.com/tcg/rocket/67.jpg (I know its not to clear on the
picture but the butterflies are around his tail)

Worms are present on both the first Spearow and Magikarp cards.
And the magikarp on intrigued me the most of they are using the worm as bait, so I guess. (On newer cards, like old rod, they are using pokeballs.)
http://www.pokezam.com/tcg/base/35.jpg
http://www.pokezam.com/tcg/jungle/62.jpg

And this one was pretty weird, on the Jungle Exeggutor card there is a crab. Its pretty weird as Krabby and Kingler could be there, but it was just a normal crab.
http://www.pokezam.com/tcg/jungle/35.jpg

I am of the opinion that there are real animals in the pokemon world. Just look at the food they eat. Doesn't exactly look like fried pokemon does it? (picturing Ash holding a fried chicken leg). Also, a vending machine had hot dogs in the Deoxys movie. Although the hot dogs could be 100% Miltank. I think some pokemon are eaten as well. I remember someone envisioning a Magikarp on a plate in Season 1. It is sort of weird how the anime hardly ever shows real animals anymore. I guess they thought no one would notice.

There is. Several of the earlier episodes showed real creatures in the Pokemon world like when Ash caught Pidgeotto for example, it pulled a worm out of the ground and ate it.

i think real animals do exist, but many of them are slowly going extinct because pokemon fill their niches so well. why have butterflies and bees to spread pollen for flowers when you have Butterfrees/Beautiflies and Beedrills/Combees with far more surface area and far longer lifespans? and i'd imagine there's a lot of predation of animals by pokemon too; isn't it mentioned in pokedex entries?

Worms in EP003
Fish in EP007
Cook states he will cook chicken in EP062

a family meal

i am going to think up a meal.

tauros Baby back ribs, served with vileploom seasoning and stuffed delibird coated with blissey fat, 15 deep fried shroomish, crawdaunt delicacy, milotic strips, and a deliceous cup of bellossom brewed beer cooled with regice ice.

ewww...
disgusting

i am going to think up a meal.

tauros Baby back ribs, served with vileploom seasoning and stuffed delibird coated with blissey fat, 15 deep fried shroomish, crawdaunt delicacy, milotic strips, and a deliceous cup of bellossom brewed beer cooled with regice ice.

ewww...
disgusting

Yes, it is disgusting. And has little relevance to the thread.

I have my own little theory on the existence of regular animals in the Pokemon world. Perhaps the Pokemon world is much older than our own, or is an older version of Earth. There might have been people living with the non-Pokemon animals and going about their lives until some strange thing happened that caused the regular animals to start to die out or evolve (global warming, nuclear explosions or something...) into Pokemon. The survivors of this event might have toughened up or just continued living in much smaller numbers. It's a silly little theory, but I like it. :)

I don't think that the humans would eat Pokemon. They're much more intelligent than regular animals and it would be creepy eating something that you can converse with, at least partially; in the Anime the trainers seem to know what their Pokemon are saying and vice versa. They probably do eat any non-Pokemon animals left, or with the technology in the Pokemon world I'm sure they could clone the meat or at least come up with an almost identical substitute.

But we know from DP that humans do eat Water Type Pokemon.

And when they were starving, they wanted to eat Magikarp, except for Misty who realized it was useless even as food.

Insects still seem to exist (there was a Gonbe with fleas in movie seven).

But we know from DP that humans do eat Water Type Pokemon.

And when they were starving, they wanted to eat Magikarp, except for Misty who realized it was useless even as food.

Insects still seem to exist (there was a Gonbe with fleas in movie seven).

Where was that? Was it in the library in Canclave? I thought that was an old fable or something.

I'm sure that if a trainer was desperate enough they might eat a Pokemon, but on a day to day basis, I don't think they would.

It's quite obvious real animals do not exist in the Pokemon world. Yes, I realize they have appeared. There were only brief appearences of fish or worms, and that was mainly in season 1. There were a few references to eating animals, but that's because we're familiar with it. There have been references to characters eating Pokemon ("I'm so hungry I could eat a Tauros" and etc.), and in Pokedex entries it clearly establishes a hunter and prey aspect between certain Pokemon. Not to mention it's a childrens' program and many Pokemon are meant to be cute, so mentioning eating them doesn't sound very pleasant at first. But it is no way different then how we eat animals. Are spoinkchops so unbelievable? The Pokemon World has its own milk, eggs, chicken, beef, pork, veal, fish, other seafood, honey, etc.

It animals were meant to exist in the Pokemon world, we'd see them. We don't. This isn't the real world, they don't need every single organism to complete the balance of Earth, it's Pokemon. The fact that illustrators for the card game included some animals it totally irrelevant. We clearly have all the Pokemon we need to imitate the functions of real life animals.

Wouldn't it be called something other than "chicken" then when Meowth talks about it?

Miltank milk is apparently a big deal, with a small amount going for 500p. If *all* milk came from Miltanks, why would there be such a big fuss made about how special it is, and why would it be so expensive? (consider that you can get a gallon of milk for about five bucks, and five bucks is more or less 500p, and the amount in the game is a heck of a lot smaller than a gallon).

I go with the theory that animals do exist in the Pokemon world, they just cut them out of the picture (anime and games) because they are boring for not being able to spit fire or make sleeping spore clouds. Of course some people eat pokemon... like any animal they'll eat anything that taste good when tempted.

(For a more serious response, outside of my first one, I also kind of view it like Japanese Demons. It's not like every Animal was considered a demon in Japanese Mythology, only the strange ones with powers, hence pokemon)

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom