• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Really new to team building how am I doing?

tyler.burrows.5

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a team for random wifi battles I'm very new to this idea and have no idea what I'm doing I have done a little bit of research on it though and have come up with wanting a team that is mainly fast and hi attack with a couple stat mon in the mix. This is my first attempt.

Forretress- sturdy
Rapid spin
Payback
Toxic spikes
Spikes

Beautifly- swarm
Air cutter
Giga drain
Poison sting
Stun spore

Infernape- blaze
Close combat
Rock smash
Fire blast
Flare blitz

Alakazam- magic guard
Psychic
Ally swtich
Reflect
Miracle eye

Gengar- levitate
Dark pulse
Shadow punch
Will o wisp
Confuse Ray

Omastar- swift swim
Hydro pump
Ice beam
Ancient power
Shell smash

I'm planning on using megakazam. I'm thinking about switching out genera for a mixed wall that will stall and deal damage. My leads are forretress for singles and I'll pair him with beatiifly for doubles. How's my team looking so far? Should I use it in singles or doubles? What moves should I change out? I know there are weaknesses how can I address them? What items should I use? Thank you in advanced for any help.

Ty

Last edited:
Hello there, welcome to the Battle Center! Always nice to see someone take their first step into competitive battling, so hopefully we can help :)

Not sure how familiar you are with them but it's advisable to include your Pokemon's EVs when you're listing a team. It helps us get a better idea how the Pokemon is trained so we can understand its purpose in the team.

At a glance the team doesn't look too cohesive: although their weaknesses vary their resistances don't overlap much to allow for predictive plays. I'd also recommend focusing the team on only one sort of battle format as singles and doubles have unique environments that trying to make one team accommodate both would lessen its effectiveness.

For now it's best to start from the foundation: consider what each Pokemon's purpose is on the team and give it a moveset/EVs/item that will aim for that goal. Let us know so that we can focus our advice to suit what you have planned for the team then we can work together on improving it :)

Infernape, Alakazam, Gengar, Omastar; these are solid choices. I wouldn't underestimate any of your Pokemon.
However, their move sets will not ensure their full potential. I personally wouldn't use that move set with Gengar. If it works for your strategy, then great, disregard me.
The big problem I see is your Infernape knowing two fighting and two fire moves. I can't imagnine using Rock Smash in a high-end team. I say lose Rock Smash and Fire Blast, and teach him Earthquake and something else to give him type coverage. Infernape is great for both physical and special moves. The Pokemon Database website has some good tools you can use, too.
Since your Omastar has Swift Swim ability, may as well put it to use. Teach him Rain Dance to boost his speed and his Hydro Pump.
Good luck!

The only think I can add is make sure the nature of your pokemon is in correlation for what you want to do with it, i.e. Adamant for a Physical attacker.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom