• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Really?

The_Ideal_Dragon

I like turtles
Reaction score
Really? All I can say about Pokemon Go is that it is a horrible game. You don't have to do any work. You just walk around outside with your phone. I walk around outside every day without staring at my smartphone. I biked down to the beach the other day and you would not believe how many people I saw running around with their phones. Quite a few ran directly into the bike lane staring at their stupid phones and I had to swerve to avoid hitting them Also, think of all the accidents! Two men walked off a freaking cliff because they weren't looking where they were going, they were playing Pokemon Go. I refuse to download it. Leave all the hate comments you want, but I'm not attacking anybody, just this game. If Pokemon Go isn't a menace to society and a complete disgrace to the Pokemon Community, I don't know what else is. (Well, except for maybe the fairy type.)

Peace out! (Mic Drop)

Well Imo , it is a nice game but since deaths are occurring just because of a game , I think people should think twice before playing it. I play it but I have now started to pay attention to the real world more. What I do is that I first look at my phone , if my direction is correct then I stop looking at the phone and just keep moving in the direction. I stop and then look how close I'm to the pokestop or gym. I keep the speakers on and get to know if I have encountered a pokemon. I then stop at the side if the road and then catch it.
I hope I won't have to do it when pokemon go plus Wil be released.

From Columbine to idiots walking off cliffs, I will never understand why people insist on blaming a video game instead of blaming the real culprit: human stupidity. Here's an idea~ watch where you're going. Dude in front of me stops in the middle of the bloody street to catch a Pokemon. Me? I look both ways, cross the street, and THEN catch the Pokemon. The Pokemon is not going to disappear or eat your family just because you don't immediately stop when the game alerts you to a Pokemon.

Come on guys, lay blame where the blame is due. Some of us can actually NOT win a Darwin Award and still play video games.

I respectfully disagree.

Pokémon GO involves a lot more work than main-series Pokémon games. Walking around and driving to new PokéStops and Gyms is a lot more work than sitting at home and just playing on a 3DS. While the game's mechanics are a lot simpler, neither make for "more work" than the other because again, you can sit (or stand) and catch Pokémon on both games, but in GO you must have to walk around which main series games don't require. Sure, the main-series require more time, but not work.

I too walk around outside everyday while walking my dog, and GO has not only given me something to do while waiting for her to finish sniffing random areas/whatever she does, but also motivates me to walk her more which is good for the both of us. I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of others, because a game that requires walking directly promotes physical activity, fresh air, and at times communication, none of which has ever been described as a menace to society.

When I went to a community event last night there were a handful of PokéStops in the area, and 25+ people were sitting down, talking, and playing the game. Lots of people were talking about it and getting into the game, and it was so surprising to see so many people young and old playing a game whose players were typically just a small, similar group of people. The game made Pokémon a daily conversation topic and highly lessened the stigma surrounding it. How is that a disgrace to the Pokémon Community? It not only brought in fans and players (causing more people to appreciate the series we've already been enjoying for years) and stemmed communication between all types of people, which is great for countless different reasons.

Does the game have its faults? Absolutely. Are the mechanics stupidly simple and the game has limited actions? Yes. But what game doesn't have its flaws? Objectively nothing, because it's a subjective topic. I'm not saying everybody needs to like GO. Nobody has to like anything. But saying it's a disgrace to the Pokémon community because some accidents are occurring and some might subjectively find it a downgrade from other Pokémon games is simply dramatic. It's a game, not some important political figure or big event.

The only thing here that was, is, and will always be a menace to society are dumb people, not a video game. And let's face it, half of the people who are getting into minor accidents are likely making mistakes at best - judging someone's intelligence based on a one-time event is hardly a valid warrant to insult their intelligence. That's why they call them accidents.

Last edited:
I think it is extremely immature to be blaming a game for human actions. The first thing that shows up you start up the game is "Remember to be alert at all times. Stay aware of your surroundings." not "Today's mission is to fall off a cliff and then get hit by a car!" If people can't follow simple directions, I don't know what to tell them.

I think it is extremely immature to be blaming a game for human actions. The first thing that shows up you start up the game is "Remember to be alert at all times. Stay aware of your surroundings." not "Today's mission is to fall off a cliff and then get hit by a car!" If people can't follow simple directions, I don't know what to tell them.

Well, if they've fallen off a cliff and gotten hit by a car they are probably dead, so I don't think you'd be telling them anything, m8 :p

I've seen reports of people getting involved in accidents and falling off cliffs and trespassing areas where they shouldn't be "all because of some electric rodent". The worst? The news reports somehow make it seem like the games are the cause of the injuries and deaths, only to justify that "all games are bad and will destroy you" argument. It would have been the same if it were some other game - or heck, even texting. People need to learn that the games aren't to blame but that it's the people's mistakes that caused the accidents - NOT watching where they're going, and staring at their phones WITHOUT bothering to check if the light's red or if there's any ground to support your weight the moment you take the next step. Same goes for walking into someone's private property because you didn't notice anything else except that Pikachu standing in there and getting involved with legal issues.

I've heard that some users complain that Pokemon Go isn't as good as the hype, but eh, I'm going to save my opinion for later until I've actually played the game for myself.

I respectfully disagree.

Pokémon GO involves a lot more work than main-series Pokémon games. Walking around and driving to new PokéStops and Gyms is a lot more work than sitting at home and just playing on a 3DS. While the game's mechanics are a lot simpler, neither make for "more work" than the other because again, you can sit (or stand) and catch Pokémon on both games, but in GO you must have to walk around which main series games don't require. Sure, the main-series require more time, but not work.

I too walk around outside everyday while walking my dog, and GO has not only given me something to do while waiting for her to finish sniffing random areas/whatever she does, but also motivates me to walk her more which is good for the both of us. I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of others, because a game that requires walking directly promotes physical activity, fresh air, and at times communication, none of which has ever been described as a menace to society.

When I went to a community event last night there were a handful of PokéStops in the area, and 25+ people were sitting down, talking, and playing the game. Lots of people were talking about it and getting into the game, and it was so surprising to see so many people young and old playing a game whose players were typically just a small, similar group of people. The game made Pokémon a daily conversation topic and highly lessened the stigma surrounding it. How is that a disgrace to the Pokémon Community? It not only brought in fans and players (causing more people to appreciate the series we've already been enjoying for years) and stemmed communication between all types of people, which is great for countless different reasons.

Does the game have its faults? Absolutely. Are the mechanics stupidly simple and the game has limited actions? Yes. But what game doesn't have its flaws? Objectively nothing, because it's a subjective topic. I'm not saying everybody needs to like GO. Nobody has to like anything. But saying it's a disgrace to the Pokémon community because some accidents are occurring and some might subjectively find it a downgrade from other Pokémon games is simply dramatic. It's a game, not some important political figure or big event.

The only thing here that was, is, and will always be a menace to society are dumb people, not a video game. And let's face it, half of the people who are getting into minor accidents are likely making mistakes at best - judging someone's intelligence based on a one-time event is hardly a valid warrant to insult their intelligence. That's why they call them accidents.

And I will respectfully disagree to the disagreement.

If I went to a community event, I would go to enjoy the community event. Not to watch people play and talk about a game. That's exactly what I'm trying to get at with this thread. People are playing a game instead of enjoying the whatever the event was. Defenders of Pokemon GO are saying "oh, it gets people outside, oh, it encourages people to visit historical landmarks", but that is BS. And it completely ruins the experience for those of us who just want to enjoy the great outdoors.

As for the accidents,

I do agree that people are just stupid who aren't looking where they are going. That is just plain stupidity. However, if the game wasn't so addictive (which it is, I've played it) people would be paying attention.

I think that games should always stay indoors. Don't bring it outside. When I played my Game Boy and 3DS for their respective games, I would never do it outside. It is my firm belief that games should stay inside, and Pokemon GO forces people out.

Not to mention you can't even battle with the Pokemon you catch. I mean, come on!

1) I play the game and also manage to pay attention and not get hit by a truck

2) I've always taken my handhelds out and about (granted, I didn't own one til Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories came out, whenever that was, but still). As someone who often has to stay on campus between classes with 1-2 hours between them and sometimes needs a break from studying and my gaming laptop weighs literally 11 pounds (24 kg), it's much more convenient for me to take a handheld and play that waiting for the shuttle bus or between classes or waiting for class to start.

As for the accidents,

I do agree that people are just stupid who aren't looking where they are going. That is just plain stupidity. However, if the game wasn't so addictive (which it is, I've played it) people would be paying attention.

The game being addictive is a poor excuse. There are accidents happening everywhere, everyday because someone decided it was a brilliant idea to send a text message without bothering to see if the light's red while they're walking. There are drivers who text while driving, which is very dangerous and often results in accidents. Is texting an addicting thing to do that people can't help but text even in the most dangerous situation? No. It's the people that are making mistakes; choosing to text and not bothering to take their eyes off the phone. People play other games like Candy Crush on the street and bump into trees for getting too distracted; addictive or not. If people have at least the common sense to be aware of their surroundings, then those accidents can be prevented.

There are no bad games, just dumb people.

I'm sorry, but people not being aware of their surroundings resulting in injuries and it's the game's fault? There are lots of ridiculous people out there. I've seen home videos of people playing a trumpet or reading a book while driving. I'm just saying that blaming the game for people not being careful is a stretch to hate on the game.

I'm just slightly bothered by the all the people playing it for the hype. People who will inevitably cease playing once the novelty wears thin. All these self-proclaimed experts appearing over Buzzfeed, Facebook and other news articles about the game. It just seems like an insult to true Pokemon fans who have stood with the franchise for years.

I will say this though-the game certainly is fulfilling Satoshi Taijiri's initial dream for the franchise, what with the massive human interaction and all.

I agree with all of those who have said that the game really can't be to blame for all of the accidents. The game being addicting is a good thing for both the company and the people who have been waiting for this game for almost a year. The people who are getting into trouble are likely to be distracted by anything else just as easily, and a lot of the people blaming the game aren't as quick to blame things like texting or other phone games for the other thousands of phone-related accidents that happen weekly. You can find all sorts of examples of people walking into poles or fountains or other hilarious/dangerous situations just because they were texting.

As for the notion that it's an insult to true Pokémon fans and the community, I really don't understand that argument either. It's essentially bringing the game we've loved for all of these years to life for the first time. We should be ecstatic that other people are able to enjoy it and that it's bringing the franchise some much needed attention and money, because frankly I've been somewhat underwhelmed by what they've been turning out lately and concerned by the steady decrease of interest in it apparent on platforms like these forums. I say the more the merrier, it's not harming me at all if somebody's aunt is calling herself a fan for the first time in 15 years or ever.

If someone is texting on an iPhone while driving and gets into an accident, is it Apple's fault? No? Then please explain how the hell it can be Niantic's or anyone else involved fault, for human stupidity? The game even warns you every single time you log in to always be aware of your surroundings.

It is nobody's fault except the individuals, and blaming a company for the mistakes of the individual is foolish at best. You don't have to like the game, but atleast have enough common sense to figure out a company can't be held responsible for people disregarding their own common sense.

I'm just slightly bothered by the all the people playing it for the hype. People who will inevitably cease playing once the novelty wears thin. All these self-proclaimed experts appearing over Buzzfeed, Facebook and other news articles about the game. It just seems like an insult to true Pokemon fans who have stood with the franchise for years.

I will say this though-the game certainly is fulfilling Satoshi Taijiri's initial dream for the franchise, what with the massive human interaction and all.

Thank you, some one who at least sort of agrees.

As for human interaction, I remember as a little kid always talking about pokemon with my friends, or even strangers from Gen 1 to Gen 6! Pokemon was already great for human interaction. I just don't like Pokemon Go because it brings the game outside.

How does it do that? No one is making you interact with those people.

Look, I don't want the outdoors to be filled with people staring at their phones running around getting in everybody's way. One literally screamed at me because me on my bike IN THE BIKE LANE got in HIS way of catching a Jigglypuff. I mean, cmon, a Jigglypuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
How counter culture of you. I guess all the good things that came from Pokemon GO is negated because of high profile idiots that make the news. I mean do we want to go back to early Gen I days where we had kids scamming other kids for Pokemon cards?

Like getting distracted by texts and calls while one walks across streets, people will eventually adapt to the new issues that augmented reality games bring to life, and all these "high profile" cases of people being dumb (and I doubt the incidence is greater than any other sort of distracted driving/walking with other apps; its just novel with Pokemon GO), people will adapt over time.

You know what won't change? The fact that this app has been an amazing social experience for people, and that a lot of people who lack any motivation to leave their homes are actually doing it.

But sure, be counter culture and call Pokemon GO a "disgrace" to the Pokemon Community. This game has done in a few days what Game Freak couldn't do in 5 generations since Gen I: bring players together to actually play the game en masse and make new friends.

No one is saying you need to play the game, but the vitriol from your first post comes off as "people are having fun doing something I don't like?!?!?!"

Last edited:
If Pokemon Go isn't a menace to society and a complete disgrace to the Pokemon Community, I don't know what else is. (Well, except for maybe the fairy type.)
This is when I stopped nodding in agreement. You really can't blame Go for that, the media are already doing this for you anyway. It's all the nutters who immerse themselves so much in these games that they shut out literally everything else. It's all on their heads really. (I'd hardly call that new type a disgrace to the community either. That's just ridiculous.)

Okay first that reddit page is super heartwarming. ;_;

If I went to a community event, I would go to enjoy the community event. Not to watch people play and talk about a game. That's exactly what I'm trying to get at with this thread. People are playing a game instead of enjoying the whatever the event was. Defenders of Pokemon GO are saying "oh, it gets people outside, oh, it encourages people to visit historical landmarks", but that is BS. And it completely ruins the experience for those of us who just want to enjoy the great outdoors.

I can completely understand wanting to go to an event and simply wanting to focus on the event. But what's wrong with people who want to go to an event and play some GO while they're there, possibly before/after the event (like my friends and I did)? That way they're getting the most out of both. It doesn't hurt anyone and is still harboring communication and fun in a community, which is the same as what most community events do.

And those defenders are right in the first part, that it gets people outside. It's the only way to play the game so it's seems fairly obvious that it should be a fact of the game. I will agree about the second part though, in that historical landmarks is a little bit of a stretch considering most stops and gyms are fountains and churches.

As for the accidents,

I mentioned it in another thread but to recap, games have never shown to be addictive in the sense that they could endanger someone's life, like drugs or alcohol. They simply enable people to latch onto something and use it as excuse for the problems they might get into because of it. I don't mean to offend anyone by saying that, but I haven't seen nor heard anything to make me believe otherwise. I'm sure there are people who do get addicted to games, but I would think that'd be because of a much larger issue in their life.

I think that games should always stay indoors. Don't bring it outside. When I played my Game Boy and 3DS for their respective games, I would never do it outside. It is my firm belief that games should stay inside, and Pokemon GO forces people out.
But there's a whole market of people who want to play games outdoors! Isn't it fair to let them have their fun too? If you want to play games indoors only, then why not just stick to games that won't make you leave your house? But to say the game is a menace because it isn't your ideal videogame does reinforce The Outrage's point that it feels like you're saying people should only have fun if they follow certain criteria. :| I don't meant to put words in your mouth or assume, so please correct me if that's false. Again, it's completely fine to to say that it's not what you want in a game, but to use that as a reason to bash not only the game but such a large group of people who have found hapiness in the game is rather sad, imo. :\

And from that experience you had with the person screaming at you, I absolutely agree that they were in the wrong and and am not trying to justify that behavior. I think all of us here can agree to that at least. But what we are trying to defend are the people who are playing the game without disturbing others, all while keeping safe at the same time.

Not to mention you can't even battle with the Pokemon you catch. I mean, come on!
That's true, and it is a downside of GO as the game stands currently. However, it is a feature that they're working on and it gives fans something to look forward to while still being able to play the game right now, which for a lot of people is a plus as they don't have to wait longer to play it.

And again, I don't mean to say you're not allowed to have an opinion because obviously we all do and it's perfectly fine to have one, my goal in this discussion with you is simply to try and make it so we're all enjoying the game and what it's doing for the world, not to tell you your way of thinking is wrong, I certainly don't mean to come across as such and apologize if I have.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom