• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reason to learn Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snivy Nation

The Snivy of Ohio
Reaction score
I am learning Japanese to watch anime, read manga and for my own personal reasons. If you are learning Japanese or you want to learn Japanese, please post it below. I am also going to become a Japanese exchange student in collage.

Last edited:
I wanted to learn the language because I had an interest in visiting/living/working in the country for a while. Already did so, but would like to go back someday.

I would like to learn basic Japanese because I love the Culture, History and Architecture.

My initial reason was, seriously, to watch Digimon Tamers in its original language. Then, I went through a crazy Kanji-loving phase, an insane study-efficiency phase, and finally mellowed out to the point where I end up thinking things like:

まあ、今日、『モスフラワーの森』を持ってこうかな、暇がいっぱいあるはずだからな

(Well, how 'bout today I take "Mossflower" (yes, Brian Jacques) with me? I mean, I'll probably have a bunch of free time...)

You don't learn a language. You just get used to it.
言語は学ぶことではなく、慣れるだけです。

I want to learn Japanese cuz pretty much everything I like comes from Japan,plus I want to eliminate the wait of american/europeans releases to be able to play the games

Because I want to design games, and Nintendo is far more likely to pick up what I create than Microsoft.

........Why not?

The second Asian country that give greatest influence to the whole world is Japan (1st being China), so why not learn its language?
P.S. I learned Chinese.

Amazing, this the true essence of the language, It brings people of the same interests and different goals together and creates a "family".

I want to learn it so I can read manga and play video games before they come out in America.

i'd like to watch animé without seeing the subs all the time.. it's because i'm learning japanese,
i'm "a little bit" improving right now...

Last edited:
I'm learning Japanese independently now, and I chose it because I like the language and am interested in Japanese language and culture. Hopefully being able to understand anime and manga in the future will be a plus.

There is one major reason not to learn Japanese: numbers and counting (Japanese learners, you know what I'm talking about).

I started learning Japanese because it was that or German, and I was already doing French so didn't want another European language.

If I could go back, and if I'd had other options, there are at least half a dozen more useful languages I would have chosen instead. Chinese or Spanish, for example. Japanese is only useful if you really want to import games and anime, or want to live and work in Japan (which I don't recommend).

Heck, the language is very interesting and most of the games that the world plays have a Japanese origin. Also, Japan is one of America's closest allies right now so learning the language might prove helpful.

I currently know no second languages, so I thought "why not Japanese"? Unfortunately, Japanese was never taught at my school. I have a lot of books in which I teach myself, including a huge book that has over 1,000 kanji along with mnemonics to make memorizing them easier.

my older sister is interested in Japanese culture big-time and learned Japanese in college. She never watches anime anymore because there's nothing good in the world of anime anymore these, at least in her eyes, because most anime these days would have recycled plots and cliches. Me and my sisters are 1990s people! 1990's anime FTFEW (For The Freaking Epic Win)!

Well the main reason I am trying to learn Japanese is that I want to visit Japan and not look like an idiot.

I want to learn Japanese so I won't be able to rely on subtitles, and I could easily navigate through the country on my future visit.

I want to learn Japanese, since I enjoy Japan's culture, manga, anime etc. Also, I believe that knowing several languages is a great advantage if you travel around the world, or for better comunication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom