• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reasons for EarthBound not being seen on Virtual Console revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's incredibly disappointing. I've been wanting to play Earthbound since the first Smash Bros. but don't like using emulators. (Namely due to lack of control and poor PC performance than anything really) I hope that these legal issues get settled soon.

^ This along with the fact that there will be no more Mother games means I'll never be able to have a chance at playing this series ever. Changing the copyrighted music and names would also cause a backlash from the fans like remastered versions/special editions of popular films.

@Ghetsis-Dennis ala Star Wars and Han Shot First.

Even though replacing those tracks will cause backlash, is it better to see the game rereleased on Virtual Console for $8, rather than searching for an affordable and real copy of EarthBound on Amazon or eBay.

Even though replacing those tracks will cause backlash, is it better to see the game rereleased on Virtual Console for $8, rather than searching for an affordable and real copy of EarthBound on Amazon or eBay.

Knowing the Nintendo fanbase, there's clearly no way for the company to win in the end if you go by either decision.

Knowing the Nintendo fanbase, there's clearly no way for the company to win in the end if you go by either decision.

The sad thing is, you're right. I prefer to have it for $8 on my Wii, though.

I wouldn't complain about being unable to play Earthbound 1 if Nintendo would just make a new Earthbound game, like for the 3DS. Some sort of Earthbound 3D game would sell like hotcakes, there's that big of a fanbase for it. I'd like to play just one Earthbound game myself, but no E1 for Virtual Console and not having an NES to play E2... yeah, that stinks.

For a long time, I've been wanting a re-release or remake of one of the Mother games (any of the three will do), though this is pretty much the biggest obstacle yet, I mean, we worked hard for Mother 3, we didn't get it, so we were forced to wait two-three years for a fan translation, which was only done by two people.

Seeing The Misadventures of Tron Bonne on the Playstation Network is the same situation as EarthBound on the Virtual Console.

^ This along with the fact that there will be no more Mother games means I'll never be able to have a chance at playing this series ever. Changing the copyrighted music and names would also cause a backlash from the fans like remastered versions/special editions of popular films.

Agreed, just look at what George Lucas did to Star Wars

For a long time, I've been wanting a re-release or remake of one of the Mother games (any of the three will do), though this is pretty much the biggest obstacle yet, I mean, we worked hard for Mother 3, we didn't get it, so we were forced to wait two-three years for a fan translation, which was only done by two people.

Seeing The Misadventures of Tron Bonne on the Playstation Network is the same situation as EarthBound on the Virtual Console.

The unfortunate sad thing about Misadventures of Tron Bonne and the other Legends games (Including MML3), is that Capcom gave up on it, unlike Mother, where Shigesato Itoi said in 2011 (I think) he did not want to make another Mother game. Mega Man Legends had a promised sequel, MML3, then Capcom canceled it one year ago in July 2011. Mother 3? The N64DD failed. That was just a stupid decision Capcom made.

But I am still mad for just changing the music. I could just mute the TV and play it on my iPad to have to full effect. I just want to see it for $8 playable instead of $149 on Amazon.

Really disappointing. I never played any EarthBound game. I could use an emulator, but for the same reasons Otika mentioned, I won't.

Two songs and an enemy name? That's it? I like the Sky Runner song; it's nice and happy and memorable, but the game would still be exactly as fun and quirky with a different one.

The unfortunate sad thing about Misadventures of Tron Bonne and the other Legends games (Including MML3), is that Capcom gave up on it, unlike Mother, where Shigesato Itoi said in 2011 (I think) he did not want to make another Mother game. Mega Man Legends had a promised sequel, MML3, then Capcom canceled it one year ago in July 2011. Mother 3? The N64DD failed. That was just a stupid decision Capcom made.

But I am still mad for just changing the music. I could just mute the TV and play it on my iPad to have to full effect. I just want to see it for $8 playable instead of $149 on Amazon.

I'm aware, it's kind of a jerkish move from Capcom when they cancelled Mega Man Legends 3, and are also refusing to revive it no matter how hard the fandom tries, it's the complete opposite of the famous letter campain in the 60's to NBC to renew Star Trek for another season, back then, that was their 100,000 Strong, and it worked in the end (even if the aforementioned Star Trek season wasn't as good as the first two seasons).

The EarthBound franchise has a similar problem, not only does Itoi have no interest in making more Mother games, but Nintendo has REFUSED to re-release, or even remake the games, I mean, they made HG/SS because of popular demand, but refuse to do anything with the EarthBound franchise at all, they even removed the EarthBound demo from the international releases of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Apparently, SOMEONE at Nintendo doesn't like EarthBound...

Two songs and an enemy name? That's it? I like the Sky Runner song; it's nice and happy and memorable, but the game would still be exactly as fun and quirky with a different one.

I love it too, but hearing it for a while, I can see why they want it changed, primarily because it sounds a bit too much like the opening to one of The Who's songs.

I'm aware, it's kind of a jerkish move from Capcom when they cancelled Mega Man Legends 3, and are also refusing to revive it no matter how hard the fandom tries, it's the complete opposite of the famous letter campain in the 60's to NBC to renew Star Trek for another season, back then, that was their 100,000 Strong, and it worked in the end (even if the aforementioned Star Trek season wasn't as good as the first two seasons).

The EarthBound franchise has a similar problem, not only does Itoi have no interest in making more Mother games, but Nintendo has REFUSED to re-release, or even remake the games, I mean, they made HG/SS because of popular demand, but refuse to do anything with the EarthBound franchise at all, they even removed the EarthBound demo from the international releases of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Apparently, SOMEONE at Nintendo doesn't like EarthBound...

I love it too, but hearing it for a while, I can see why they want it changed, primarily because it sounds a bit too much like the opening to one of The Who's songs.

That song would be Won't Get Fooled Again.

As for my quote, wasn't HGSS made because of the fact that you couldn't "catch em' all" without the use of Nintendo events or cheating? You can catch most from RSE and FRLG and DPPt, but not Ho-oh or Lugia. Thus HGSS was made. Either that or popular demand or more ¥en.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom