• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Recycled Character Names in the Anime

Kazamatsuri

GO FOR THE GOAL!
Reaction score
Over the years I have watched Pokemon, I've noticed many instances where the Anime (both the original and the Dub) has used the same name for a human character as they did for a previous episode. Here are just some of the examples that I found.

Japanese Pocket Monsters

Sakura

You know that Eevee trainer that the group ran across in episode 185 and has appeared in a couple episodes later on in the series. Well, Sakura is also the name of Kasumi's (Misty) eldest sister in the original (known as Daisy in the Dub). I guess Sakura is a popular name in Japan.

Shinji

I'm sure just about everyone is aware that Shinji (Paul) is Hikari's (Dawn) main rival in Diamond & Pearl. Well, Shinji is also the name of the trainer that Kenta (Jimmy) battled at the beginning of the Raikou special.

Haruka

And how about our famous coordinater, who was a main character throughout all of Advanced Generation. Well, Haruka is also the name of the female trainer in episode 192. You know, the one with the Arcanine. It's true.

And here are some examples for the,

Pokemon Dub

Suzie

Susie is the name of the Vulpix trainer from episodes 28 and 171. But she is also the name of one of Brock's younger sisters.

Mary

The name mary has been assigned to at least three characters in the Dub.

A. The Mareep trainer in episode 141
B. DJ Mary
C. And Mary from PMC (episode 248 and AG87)

Just as Sakura must be a popular name in Japan, Mary is a popular name here in America. However, the next name is not.

Tyson

Tyson is the name given in the Dub to one of Ash's rivals in the Hoenn league (he was also the champion). But I guess the Dubbers forget that they had already assigned the name Tyson to the Team Rocket leade in the Red Gyrados special.

Those are the recycled names I've discover off-hand. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.

The English dub has reused a bunch of names:

Anthony (The guy who Ash gave Primeape to, the guy with the Pelipper, and the Coordinator whose ribbons were stolen)
Calista (Weather Forecaster and girl with the Baltoy. Both, ironically, had a Xatu)
Christopher (Whirl Cup competitor and character from Battle Frontier)
Crystal/Krystal (The first was the girl from Pokemon Chronicles, the second was the girl from that Zapdos filler in Johto)
Drake (Orange Crew Leader and Elite Four Member)
Emily (The girl with the Nidoran, the girl with the Shuppet mansion, and the girl with that Psyduck)
Gilbert (Hoenn League competitor and kid from Pokemon Chronicles)
Gordon (The guy from the Absol episode and a character from Battle Frontier)
Harrison (Whirl Cup competitor and Ash's Johto league rival)
Katrina (Girl with the Wigglytuff from Kanto and the girl with the Poochyena from Hoenn)
Lily (Misty's sister and the magician who turned Ash into Ashachu)
Mariah (the girl with the Hoppip, the little girl from the second Camerupt episode, and <I think> a character from Battle Frontier)
Rebecca (Daughter of Kanto Anthony and character from Deoxys Movie)
Rita (the girl from Diglett Village and one of the Flower Shop sisters)
Zachary (Little boy from Violet City <Zaki>, boy with the Yanma, and Winona's gym assistant)

The Japanese version also used Yuriko twice. The first time was in Hi Ho Silver Away (Ariene in the dub) and the second was a Hoenn League competitor (Vivica in the dub).

By the way, you forgot about the Mary from the episode where Lotad evolved into Lombre.

Well, Shinji is also the name of the trainer that Kenta (Jimmy) battled at the beginning of the Raikou special.

And your proof of that is...what?

Y'want recycled names? I got recycled names. And they aren't just limited to the anime either, but at least one's been in the anime.

There are:

two Joshuas, both from Hoenn (Birch's assistant and a Coordinator)
two Spensers, (from Ranger and Emerald)
two Lucys (from Emerald and Trozei)
two Marinas (from Johto and O.Islands)
two Victors (from Kanto [1st time] and Kanto [2nd time, a Judge])
two Samuels (Oak, and a Kanto Judge)
two Audreys (from Hoenn and Kanto)
two Forrests (a Brockling and a Hoenn twin)
two Erikas (a GL and a Coordinator)
two Lunas (from Johto and Kanto)
two Lizas (from Johto and a GL)
two Silvers (a Lugia and a man from Kanto)
two Aarons
two Flints
at least two Jimmys (from Hoenn and Johto)
two Clairs, but one's spelled Claire (from Johto and Hoenn)
three Lilys (from Kanto, Johto, and Orre)
two Tiffanys (from Fiore and Kanto)

And your proof of that is...what?
That the kid... says so?

As far as I remember, anyway. When I watched the Japanese version, I seem to remember hearing him say that he's Shinji, and I remember that because I remember thinking at the time, OMG like Shinji Ikari?! OoO XD

That the kid... says so?

As far as I remember, anyway. When I watched the Japanese version, I seem to remember hearing him say that he's Shinji, and I remember that because I remember thinking at the time, OMG like Shinji Ikari?! OoO XD

The kid who's Kamon/Silver's counterpart? I thought that was a still-shot? Or was there another trainer?

Tyson

Tyson is the name given in the Dub to one of Ash's rivals in the Hoenn league (he was also the champion). But I guess the Dubbers forget that they had already assigned the name Tyson to the Team Rocket leade in the Red Gyrados special.

The thing with Tyson is more complicated, i'm not sure if it's like that in US version, but in Polish dub it's only James who refers to him as Tyson, while few minutes earlier he answers to him calling "This is Tatsumi". Makes sense, but someone really should check the Us dub.

The kid who's Kamon/Silver's counterpart? I thought that was a still-shot? Or was there another trainer?

IIRC, He's the kid from the first battle scene who had a Hitmonlee.

We've had two Steven's in the anime. One in Johto and one being the Hoenn Champion.

Yeah, we were talking about the kid with the Hitmonlee.

The thing with Tyson is more complicated, i'm not sure if it's like that in US version, but in Polish dub it's only James who refers to him as Tyson, while few minutes earlier he answers to him calling "This is Tatsumi". Makes sense, but someone really should check the Us dub.

In the dub, in the first episode, he's called Tatsumi in the closed captions and not identified by dialogue. In the second episode, he's called Tyson in dialogue.

The week between names lead to RG and I naming him "Jaeger" in the meantime, but Tyson works too.

And don't forget, there's my name too! ^_^

It's been used twice! XD

If you count movie characters, then Lisa has been used more than once (Lisa from Pokemon 3 with the Aipom, the daughter Lisa from "Rough, Tough, Jigglypuff" episode of Advanced Battle, and there was a girl named Elisa/Alisa in "Beg, Burrow, and Steal" - though I'm not sure if that counts).

three Lilys (from Kanto, Johto, and Orre)
Woah!

There are 3 Lily's!? O.O

I knew about the first two, but I completely forgot about the Lily from Orre.

Then again, I never paid much attention to the characters' names from Colosseum or XD: Gale of Darkness (because most of the their names didn't make much sense, lol).

In the dub, in the first episode, he's called Tatsumi in the closed captions and not identified by dialogue. In the second episode, he's called Tyson in dialogue.

The thing is the dialogue. He IS caled Tyson by James, whom calls Butch "Botch", while the T-guy calls himself Tatsumi... and i still need the proof whether it's our dubbers' inventon (heh, they did whole season 5 in a few weeks) or not.

I know we have 2 Gorous, Rans, Akanes and Wakanas, but they're from different canons.

We also have:

2 Azamis (Brain and Houen filler)
2 Azusas (Jouto filler and host of RS box)
2 Erikos (Jouto filler and Coordinator)
2 Fujis (Dr Fuji and Mr Fuji)
2 Hiromis (Houen filler and movie 9 girl)
2 Juns, although DP!Jun's name is kinda fanon in a way.
2 Rins (Jouto and movie 3)
2 Yuukis (Ranger and Houen)

Doctor Proctor was also used twice, once in the infamous Chansey ep in Kanto and I *think* the second one is from Hoenn, although I can't remember. Wasn't the professor in the Cradily/Armaldo episode also named Doctor proctor?

Well, you're half-right, Scott. ^^

The professor from "Where's Armaldo" was actually called Professor Proctor.

So apparently, we have a Doctor Proctor and a Professor Proctor. I wonder if there's any chance they're related? XD

I doubt they're related, as in Japan, Dr. Proctor is Dokutā Doku and Professor Proctor is Dr. Moroboshi (according to Bulbapedia). It's most likely just a coincidence that the dubbers did this.

Oh, we also have 2 Mais. The first Mai was the cute gothic lolita girl from DP, and the second was the mini!Joi from the Fuwante episode.

OMG!

I just remembered the most obvious thing! XD

There's two characters named Max.

The Max we know as May's brother, and the other Max from the episode "Maxxed Out".

I can't believe I'm the first person to mention this!! LOL. XD

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom