• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Red and Blue movesets SUCK!

JohtoMotto

Australia is my city
Reaction score
Hey everybody, it's Surferboy here and I just recently restarted pokemon stadium :-D

This game is so much harder than the other games I have played mainly because of the fact you can't get some great moves on your pokemon (like flamethrower:bheart:)

So I ask the question. What are some of your worst movesets on your pokemon?

My arcanine had
Bite
Ember
Leer
Take Down

Machamp with:
Karate Chop
Leer
Double Edge
Counter

Doesn't really matter since I didn't use it. If there was a mon I was using/alternating with, it would be at level 100 and know Hyper Beam.

Flamethrower did exist as a move back then. It was just limited to learning by level up, usually around the mid 40's to 50's. Even then, fire Pokemon in general kinda sucked in Generation I anyway.

Can't complain anyway, since the move was still limited to level up in overrated GS, but the required levels were a bit more forgiving, I think.

I can't remember any specifics, but I remember once posting somewhere to get a Red/Blue team rated, and it had all of these common moves that could easily be forgotten for better things. I think I remember things like Growl/Leer.

Gen I wasn't that hard. Just use psychic techniques, mew glitch, and YOU WIN!

Gen I wasn't that hard. Just use psychic techniques, mew glitch, and YOU WIN!

FYI, Mew wasn't that great in Gen I, or in other Gens. I caught it for my Pokedex quest and put it into my PC and nearly forgot about it afterwards.

Honestly, legendaries certainly do not equal win. I actually dislike using them.

And Gen I can be rather difficult. Most of the time when I do get to the Elite 4, my Pokemon are like 20 levels lower than their's, or something, and I have to train a great deal to stand a better chance. As much as I love Gen 1, it's terribly imbalanced. But hey, it was the first few games, so. Yellow made it a tad harder because the gym leader's Pokemon were at lower levels and as a result, gave less EXP. I typically have to grind a lot more in Yellow than I do in Red/Blue.

Well, I don't remember any movesets in Generation 1 because I am not even aware of the concept of "movesets". I usually taught new moves to Pokemon as I see them trying to learn.

I imagine that the Pokemon at that time had very little options on what they can learn, so they cannot really have a diverse moveset as they have now. One thing I wondered is if trading to Generation 2 and teaching them new moves count as diversifying the movepool, like Flamethrower. If so, I can imagine Starmie still be a threat in Generation 1 because of Psychic and those useful coverage moves (Surf, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam).

Thanks for reading.

Movesets simply refers to the four moves that a Pokemon can have at a time. It doesn't have to be special, as it can refer to any set of four moves.

Movesets simply refers to the four moves that a Pokemon can have at a time. It doesn't have to be special, as it can refer to any set of four moves.

I am aware of what it means. I am saying that at that time I wasn't aware of the concept of a "moveset" since Generation 1 was the old days, and just have any four moves a Pokemon has at that time.

Thanks for reading.

Red and Blue movesets were SUPPOSED to suck. The game becomes significantly less fun when every pokemon learns powerful moves from several types! I mean, Lapras was one of the best pokemon because it got ice and electric moves, which was a huge deal back then! Now most pokemon can do that, and it's not special anymore.

Red and Blue movesets were SUPPOSED to suck.

No, they "suck" because Red and Blue had relatively few moves to work with (technically 165; 164 if not counting Struggle) which is further caused by awkward distribution via Level up and TM/HM. Since they we're technically the first installments in the series, Red and Blue have a decent excuse for the atrocious move distribution.

I thought the TM selections in Gen 1 were decent especially since it was gen. 1 and all, but poke move sets were kinda poor. I was most disappointed with Scyther's and Tauros'. Starting pokemon movesets weren't all that tantastic either since their best moves aren't learned for a very very long time.

No, they "suck" because Red and Blue had relatively few moves to work with (technically 165; 164 if not counting Struggle) which is further caused by awkward distribution via Level up and TM/HM. Since they we're technically the first installments in the series, Red and Blue have a decent excuse for the atrocious move distribution.

Quoted for truth. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Seriously, the games were rather experimental, so it's kinda obvious that the moves and distributions wouldn't be that great. I personally was never bugged by the moves, I was more bugged by the sheer amount of grinding that I have to do in every playthrough, but besides that, there weren't a lot of things that bugged me about Gen I.

Red & Blue movesets sucked because the creators still were trying to perfect the concept back then. Psychic-type moves were the most broken thing back then.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom