• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Red Eyes, take warning!

Who would you not want to be attacked by?

• Gyarados

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Luxray

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Ursaring

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • None of them

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
In the second trailer, we see a Gyarados, a Luxray, and an Ursaring go on a rampage while sporting red glowing eyes after being hit by some energy (assuming that is what caused it).
My question is this: Who would you NOT want to get attacked by?

My first thought was Gyarados because I've used one so much I know how strong they are, but now that I think about it, dodging that Ursaring in the trailer looked intense and terrifying. I'm probably gonna be so stressed dodging for my life at that point.

But yeah, probably all of them. Really wonder how my scaredy-cat self is gonna handle that.

All of them would be terrifying, but I think Ursaring is the most so. That particular part of the presents actually startled me. I'm that kind of person who will either run head-first into danger in a video game, or avoid it like the plague (it just depends on my mood), so I could easily see myself spotting one of those Ursaring in the distance and being like "nope" and walking away.

Why are you terrified of Ursaring? The bear just wanted a big hug, tho. :sneaky:

Jokes aside, I'm actually kinda looking forward to being chased by all of them.
Just in game, anyway. Being chased in real life would be terrifying.

I think in general the games second trailer looked a lot more polished than the first one.

but did anyone think Ursaring's animation looked super rough in the latest trailer? When it rushes the player it looks really weird. I hope that's something they'll have cleaned up by launch.

I guess these Pokemon are a similar idea to totem battles in Sun/Moon?

I think in general the games second trailer looked a lot more polished than the first one.

but did anyone think Ursaring's animation looked super rough in the latest trailer? When it rushes the player it looks really weird. I hope that's something they'll have cleaned up by launch.

I guess these Pokemon are a similar idea to totem battles in Sun/Moon?
It looked like a toddler stumbling about like a tiny drunk person.

Is it too awkward to bump this thread? Because I feel like there's a lot of interesting questions to discuss with what's been said now about Alphas-
The Challenge of Facing Alphas
During your expeditions, you’ll sometimes run into alphas: Pokémon that are larger than normal and have glowing red eyes. Alphas will chase you down and attack you when they notice you. They’re tough opponents, but they’ll become great allies if you manage to catch them. They may even drop rare items if you defeat them in battle.

Specifically....

• Do you think this will be a permanent change, like how Totem Pokemon are larger when you obtain them? Or is it just like higher IVs?
  • Do you think we'll get new items, maybe some rare crafting materials? Or just a set of rewards like the Raid Battles?
  • Do you think they'll appear anywhere, or only in certain locations?
  • Do you think they'll respawn after battle, or just once?

I think their bigger size is permanent, like Totem. Also their base stats seems to be bigger based on what was written on the website, at least that's how I interpret it.

I think it's more likely than not that they'll respawn to keep the game balanced. The structure of the August trailer lead me to believe that the crack+thunder is related to the alpha Pokémon and that's how they'll respawn. Imagine Blood Moon in BotW, but this one is specifically for alpha Pokémon.

Yeah, the alphas definitely will respawn like the blood moon in BotW, like Esiouqrut said. It is a necessary reset for open-world (or semi open-world) games to prevent the player clearing an area and have it pose zero threat for the rest of the game. And it keeps item drops from their defeats from being too limited.

I'm less sure about the size... this game seems to have visual size differences, but I don't know if the 'alpha effect' will be permanent. The eyes will surely not stay red, so it's a matter of if the lightning made them permanently grow in size, or if it is a temporary thing like the red eyes. The stats will be higher in same way for sure, based on the website wording. Probably have a few guaranteed max stats or something.

i kinda wonder how psychic type pokemon attacks would be handled. like, we already see luxray's (presumably) thunderbolt being launched against the player as bolts of electricity. would psychic-type attacks manifest as just visible psychic energy, or something else? hm.

mostly a thought that occurred to me, is all.

as a more direct response to techskylander's questions:
  • maybe the bigger size would be permanent, but i wouldn't expect the red eyes to remain. i think that would probably be a given, though.
  • i'm anticipating raid battle esque rewards. which, to be fair, a large majority of the time aren't even bad, so i'd be satisfied with this
  • pretty much anywhere
  • i hope they'll respawn after battle. i think they'll be fun to fight repeatedly! =P

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom