• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Redefining a "Generation"

Reaction score
Since the release of Sun and Moon every game has introduced atleast 1 new pokemon, except for BDSP. I think as a fan base we need a new definition for what starts and what ends a generation.

The old definition:
From gen 1 to gen 6 a new generation was simple, new pokemon, can trade with every game released before the next generation drops and has the same sized national dex. This is no longer the case as of gen 7. USUM can't trade new pokemon to SM and let's go can't trade Meltan and Melmetal to either Alola game. Each game is also now independent of one another, only paired versions can trade with each other, save for pokemon home transfers.

The new definition:
I think the new criteria for a generation should be
New starter pokemon
New region
New box art legendary pokemon
The anime starts a new series

What do you guys think defines a nrw generation now?

The new definition:
I think the new criteria for a generation should be
New starter pokemon
New region
New box art legendary pokemon
The anime starts a new series
I thought this was already the definition for a new generation game pair? At least that's what it already was in my view...

That's... kind of silly. Pokemon has been in a habit of introducing/revealing a new Pokemon in the middle of a generation since at least Gen4 (usually as movie tie-ins).

That's... kind of silly. Pokemon has been in a habit of introducing/revealing a new Pokemon in the middle of a generation since at least Gen4 (usually as movie tie-ins).

That's not quite the same because the mythicals revealed mid gen already existed in the code when it was released, Game Freak just never made them available. Not quite the same as USUM, where the new Pokemon weren't in SM's code at all. Not only that, but USUM, the SwSh Expansion Pass, and Legends Arceus have added more than just mythicals. USUM had new UBs that were catchable in game, the Expansion Pass added multiple, and Legends Arceus has new Hisuian evolutions. Definitely a step up from just releasing a pre-programmed Mythical.

That's not quite the same because the mythicals revealed mid gen already existed in the code when it was released, Game Freak just never made them available. Not quite the same as USUM, where the new Pokemon weren't in SM's code at all. Not only that, but USUM, the SwSh Expansion Pass, and Legends Arceus have added more than just mythicals. USUM had new UBs that were catchable in game, the Expansion Pass added multiple, and Legends Arceus has new Hisuian evolutions. Definitely a step up from just releasing a pre-programmed Mythical.
Platinum added the Rotom forms and Giratina's Origin Forme, BW2 added the Therian and Kyurem formes, ORAS added new megas and the Primal formes, etc.

Platinum added the Rotom forms and Giratina's Origin Forme, BW2 added the Therian and Kyurem formes, ORAS added new megas and the Primal formes, etc.

Those are new forms, not completely new species. Again, not quite the same. And USUM, the Expansion Pass, and Legends Arceus have some of them alongside the new Pokemon (Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings/Ultra Necrozma, Dusk Lycanroc, Partner Cap Pikachus in USUM, Galarian Slowpoke line and Galarian Bird trio in the SwSh Expansion Pass, and the Hisuian forms in Legends Arceus). USUM first adding completely new species with new National Dex numbers is something that was completely unprecedented for the series at that point.

I don't think I can fully agree with that. It's true that the Pokemon were already in the codes, but as far as official timelines are concerned, they're considered new by the time of the reveal and not everyone would be aware of things that weren't previously accessible officially.

Regardless of this detail, I still think undoubtedly the start of the new generation is when we have new games with new region and starters and all that jazz. There's not much else indicating else otherwise as far as I can tell, only fan perception (which I disagree with).

I think the core idea behind a generation was always in new pokemon, and yes, USUM changed how we get new pokemon beyond the mythicals. The thing that remains the same is the introduction of a new region, though, so I guess that can still define a generation, as everything else is remakes or spinoffs.

Truly, I do not see it as an issue. The only thing I see in labeling a generation is a marker of new content, and we no longer need to wait for a new region for that. In that aspect, it has become arbitrary.

Last edited:
There are very few new Pokemon in Legends (probably around 5 like USUM and SwSh DLC). Not exactly a big deal.

Anyway, I don't consider the Switch games to have much to do with each other. The only connection is the prizes for other games' save files, really. So the term "generation" is more relevant to the TCG and anime these days.

Until we get legends or other offshoot games that introduce 60+ Pokémon, which I doubt we will but who knows, I think generations are pretty firmly in place for now. We’ve been getting new designs for existing Pokémon mid-generation since gen 3, and even now everything being introduced in legends is still related to an existing Pokémon in some way. Legends is as much gen 8 at the end of the day as B2W2 were gen 5.

That said, if we get a future legends game, idk like legends kalos that introduces a ton of brand new unseen designs, what do we do with that? It could also go the other way if they stop adding brand new Pokémon and start just focusing on region and story. They could shift gears and upend the generation model at any moment, but I don’t think we’re there quite yet. Definitely worth watching the breaks in the patterns though.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom