• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Redirect users to read new announcements, rules etc

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
My proposal: A method of making sure that users are redirected to new important announcements as well as new rules.

Why?: Not everybody reads the important announcements; sometimes they are missed (it isn't too hard to accidentally miss them ^^) or directly ignored as just being "an announcement". The same might go for rule changes. No longer would "Sorry, I didn't know the rule had changed" be an excuse.

Tools needed: This mod here.

It essentially makes you read a post before you can continue to use the forums. Once read, you can get on with your business and never be made to read that specific post again. It works off of user groups, so the moderators and up who will know of the announcements/rule changes from behind the scenes will not be subject to the mod. It's possible to set it between forums as well, so only those who tread into the animé section would have to read a new rule that applies to that section only.

As SC said, announcements are normally important, but could just be taken as something simple (as said in the OP), instead of something more important (ex: new features for the site) that would be important for users to read (if it was a new feature: to fully understand it, and be able to use it properly). UP

Some (read: a lot) of people either miss or ignore announcements/rules et cetera, so this certainly would be a great idea. Only thing is, we're switching to a new version of vB soon - is that mod compatible with vB4?

Anyway, I'm voting UP for now.

Darn, guess I missed that then. My vote remains the same.

UP

I would help alot as rules change and theres some people who accadently break them because they did not read the new rules and in genral this is a good idea.

DOWN

If they don't want to read the new rules, then people should just accept the consequences by getting infracted, you know?

Plus, it's very easy to avoid by just immideatly leaving the page you're forced to read, so I don't think it will be that effective. And come on, I don't think it's that easy to miss those things that are on top of every page in every board.

I'm going to vote UP. I understand what Mijz is saying, but this could still be helpful.

Hm, Iteru, as I'm sure you're aware, vB forums often mark threads as unread, even after you read them. I doubt it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask; has this particular mod produced similar issues? Have there been any complaints from user's claiming they already read the threads/announcements, only to be redirected to them again sometime later?

Hm, Iteru, as I'm sure you're aware, vB forums often mark threads as unread, even after you read them. I doubt it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask; has this particular mod produced similar issues? Have there been any complaints from user's claiming they already read the threads/announcements, only to be redirected to them again sometime later?

Out of the 7 pages of comments on the link, no one there has mentioned an issue like that.
I would ask on the mod page, but without a vbulletin license you can only view threads.

Up Then people wouldn't have a bunch of early infractions Like me

Down.

DOWN

If they don't want to read the new rules, then people should just accept the consequences by getting infracted, you know?

Plus, it's very easy to avoid by just immideatly leaving the page you're forced to read, so I don't think it will be that effective. And come on, I don't think it's that easy to miss those things that are on top of every page in every board.

Ditto.

DOWN

We'd rather not take that chance. UP.

This just gives them one less excuse, you know?

UP

It's true that users may exit the page before reading. However, this could be extremely helpful to those that intend to follow the rules and just don't notice the announcements.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom