• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Redundancy in Pokemon Species articles

Sketch

Vintage
Reaction score
The mentioning of how a Pokemon evolves at the top of their articles is very redundant. There is a section dedicated to evolution. Why is this necessary? I propose these be removed from the tops of articles on the grounds of unnecessary redundancy.

Possibly to make navigation faster and easier. But I can definitely see where you are coming from on this.

I'll notify our Department of Redundancy Department.
:D In other words it won't change? I actually agree because I find it kind of useful personally and it's not an error that is grave enough to require revision. Plus it would be hell of a lot of work.

There's more than just that as redundancy. Sometimes in the first part of the article where the physiology and habitat sections are, the information is repeated in the dex entries, though I guess that's forgivable.

Sometimes they just repeat the same sentence at the begining of the paragraph, jsut paraphrased. I'm wondering, are we allowed to just edit it out?

If saying the note on a Pokémon's evolutionary stages in the first paragraph is redundant, so is its type, as that's in the infobox. So is its name. Let's just not put anything there.

Note my serious face. It's not like we're going and saying all of its Pokédex entries or anything. Maybe saying its ability and the effect of said ability is a bit much, but if you take a look at Raichu's page, that's really what I'd say would be best for most Pokémon. "Raichu (Japanese: ライチュウ Raichu) is an Electric-type Pokémon. It evolves from Pikachu." It says enough to be informative about the Pokémon itself, while not bogging you down with a billion details-- just the most important ones.

I agree that the top of the article should contain the evolutionary information, as that makes navigating simpler. If I'm unsure of the spelling of a name, it's nice to be able to go to a page I do know and link from there (don't ask me why, but Exeggcute is easier for me than Exeggutor), without having to find the Evolution section in the TOC or on the page itself.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom