• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Regarding Red's age

DanyyelTR

Hiker
Reaction score
Has Red's current age in SM been confirmed? because if I observe the game's timeline he would be in his early twenties during B2W2 at least, yet Red's page says 21 of age as of SM

If I for example try to lay-out the timeline:
FR/E 11
HG/Pt 14
B 20+ (Ex-Rocket Grunt has a son that's at least 6 years old going of the overworld sprite)
B2/X 22+
Sun 25+ (unless I missed something in game, at the moment we don't know how much years have passed since Kalos events, for now I'll speculate with 3 years (2013 XY release -2016 SM release))

Food for thought :)

Last edited:
His age has not been confirmed. There is concept artwork that refers to Grimsley as being two years older than his last appearance, which implies that SM are set two years after B2W2. But we can only guess what the HGSS-BW gap is.

24 is a good guess for his age. It also reflects the real-life gap between FRLG and SM (nearly 13 years).

RBY/RSE --3 years--> GSC/DPPT --3 years--> BW --2 years--> B2W2/XY --2 years--> SM

Anabel said that she was a leader of a tower 10 years ago. RSE and RBY are contemporaneous. Making Red 21.

RBY/RSE --3 years--> GSC/DPPT --3 years--> BW --2 years--> B2W2/XY --2 years--> SM

Anabel said that she was a leader of a tower 10 years ago. RSE and RBY are contemporaneous. Making Red 21.
Okay then, that settles it. Thanks!

I must have missed the part where it was established that Anabel disappeared from the Battle Tower right after Emerald.

The GSC-BW gap is not confirmed. 3 years is unreasonably short given the Team Rocket grunt's son.

I didn't say that she disappeared right after Emerald. She said she was a leader of a tower 10 years prior SM, making Emerald (and by extension RBY) 10 years ago. The GSC-BW gap was done with basic maths. If RBY/RSE-SM is 10 years, adding up the known gaps will give you seven leaving 3 remaining. You're assuming the age of TR grunt based of his overworld sprite, which is ridiculous. He could've been adopted for all we know.

I didn't say that she disappeared right after Emerald. She said she was a leader of a tower 10 years prior SM, making Emerald (and by extension RBY) 10 years ago.
This isn't complicated: My point is that she could have very well remained a Salon Maiden years after Emerald. You're just assuming that the "10 years ago" is in reference to Emerald.. but actually... it isn't even in reference to Anabel. Looker is the only one that mentions a timeline: "It is something that happened about 10 years ago now... I came to the Alola region at that time as part of a three-person team to eradicate a UB..."

He's referencing himself, Nanu and a third member that was killed. Obviously, that wasn't Anabel. Even if it were, your conclusion would still be unjustified.

Last edited:
This isn't complicated: My point is that she could have very well remained a Salon Maiden years after Emerald. You're just assuming that the "10 years ago" is in reference to Emerald.. but actually... it isn't even in reference to Anabel. Looker is the only one that mentions a timeline: "It is something that happened about 10 years ago now... I came to the Alola region at that time as part of a three-person team to eradicate a UB..."

He's referencing himself, Nanu and a third member that was killed. Obviously, that wasn't Anabel. Even if it were, your conclusion would still be unjustified.

No, Looker does say that he and Nanu found Anabel on the shore ten years ago, after they finished the mission that killed their other partner.

That doesn't change your point, though - there's no reason to assume that she fell into a wormhole right after Emerald took place. It could have been a year later, two years, four years... however many it is, the gap between HGSSP and BW is still totally undefined.

So that means that Red is at least 21 years old, but he could certainly be older.

And looking at Caitlin in BW, I really doubt that she was supposed to be 17.

Had Anabel appeared in BW and said "I'm still a leader of tower", then yeah, you'd have a point. But Emerald wa the only time that we know of that she was a Salon Maiden, so it's the only thing we have to fall back on. Whether she retired right after or remained a Salon Maiden years later is irrelevant and speculation.

Had Anabel appeared in BW and said "I'm still a leader of tower", then yeah, you'd have a point. But Emerald wa the only time that we know of that she was a Salon Maiden, so it's the only thing we have to fall back on. Whether she retired right after or remained a Salon Maiden years later is irrelevant and speculation.
You do realize that you're the one speculating that she disappeared right after Emerald, right? It is not as if we saw any wormhole in that game. Furthermore, Anabel could have forgotten what happened after Emerald: "She had lost most of her memories, but four things she could tell us. That her name was Anabel... That she came from the Hoenn region... That she had protected some tower there... And that she was a powerful Trainer..." She doesn't remember the incident that brought her to Alola in another world.

The sensible thing to do is write Red's age as 21+ to avoid any assumptions. By the way, has anyone checked that the Japanese Red/Green manual said he was 11?

Last edited:
You do realize that you're the one speculating that she disappeared right after Emerald, right? It is not as if we saw any wormhole in that game. Furthermore, Anabel could have forgotten what happened after Emerald: "She had lost most of her memories, but four things she could tell us. That her name was Anabel... That she came from the Hoenn region... That she had protected some tower there... And that she was a powerful Trainer..." She doesn't remember the incident that brought her to Alola in another world.

The sensible thing to do is write Red's age as 21+ to avoid any assumptions. By the way, has anyone checked that the Japanese Red/Green manual said he was 11?
he was 11 in gen I yes
and in gen VI I presume he's either 21 or 23

Am I the only one who strongly believes the games take place in the year of their release unless otherwise specified?

The in-universe gap between RBY and GSC was three years. The real world gap was the same. The in-universe gap between BW and B2W2 was two years. The real world gap was the same. RSE, DPPt, XY and the remakes would be exempt from the rule due to being specifically noted to take place at certain times (whether it's taking place contemporaneously with previous games, or superseding them entirely).

Issues such as the player's home Nintendo console being incorrect for a given year can be safely dismissed as marketing tactics.

Am I the only one who strongly believes the games take place in the year of their release unless otherwise specified?

The in-universe gap between RBY and GSC was three years. The real world gap was the same. The in-universe gap between BW and B2W2 was two years. The real world gap was the same. RSE, DPPt, XY and the remakes would be exempt from the rule due to being specifically noted to take place at certain times (whether it's taking place contemporaneously with previous games, or superseding them entirely).

Issues such as the player's home Nintendo console being incorrect for a given year can be safely dismissed as marketing tactics.
That is how I used to rationalize it, that would put Black/White 11 years after Johto events

Last edited:
You do realize that you're the one speculating that she disappeared right after Emerald, right?

You're under the presumption that Anabel's disappearance is the only thing I'm taking into account. I'm also taking into account the other year gaps.

-If you add up the known years gaps (3, 2, 2) it'll equal seven.
-Since SM takes place 2 years after B2W2 according to Grimsley's concept art, we know SM takes place in the known timeline.
-Anabel's disappearance was ten years prior to SM. Subtract the 10 years from the 7 known gap years gives to three.
-The only gap we don't know off is the GSC/DPPT -> BW gap, and 3 years is the last remaining gap. Put two and two together.
-This means SM takes place ten years after RBY/RSE. Hence:

You're under the presumption that Anabel's disappearance is the only thing I'm taking into account. I'm also taking into account the other year gaps.

-If you add up the known years gaps (3, 2, 2) it'll equal seven.
-Since SM takes place 2 years after B2W2 according to Grimsley's concept art, we know SM takes place in the known timeline.
-Anabel's disappearance was ten years prior to SM. Subtract the 10 years from the 7 known gap years gives to three.
-The only gap we don't know off is the GSC/DPPT -> BW gap, and 3 years is the last remaining gap. Put two and two together.
-This means SM takes place ten years after RBY/RSE. Hence:

Here's where you made a false assumption:
You can't just do this, unless you assume that Anabel disappeared in the same year RBY/RSE are set. You cannot subtract the 3 year gap between RBY/RSE and GSC/DPPT unless you assume that Anabel disappeared earlier than that gap (and she couldn't have disappeared earlier than RSE). You basically assumed your conclusion, then used that assumption to seemingly demonstrate it was true.

For example, assume the gap between GSC/DPPT and BW is 10 years. Then we get the following:
RBY/RSE --3 years--> GSC/DPPT --10 years--> BW --2 years--> B2W2/XY --2 years--> SM
This is still entirely consistent with all of the information we have, and it simply means that Anabel disappeared sometime during the gap between GSC/DPPT and BW. 3 years is the lower bound for the gap between GSC/DPPT and BW (since Anabel couldn't have disappeared before RBY/RSE), but it's not the only possible solution.

It's worth noting that we also have a vague upper bound, since Porygon was created about 20 years prior to SM, and it exists in RBY/RSE (unfortunate that it is only "about" though).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom