• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Region Speculation Thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
As of...about twenty minutes ago, we've learned that Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, a new pair of entirely open-world Pokemon games, will be releasing in late 2022. We also got our some of our first glimpses at some of the locales of this region - a seaside home, a white-brick town with a colorful plaza, a dark and brooding castle-like building atop an industrial city, wind turbines, and more!

What sort of predictions do you have for this region? Any particular ideas as to which real-life area inspired this region (We think it might be Spain)? What about any additional locales you think will be part of this new region?

I would bet my money on it being Spain. The bits of the map we saw definitely hints toward the Iberian Peninsula as opposed to Greece or Italy which look nothing like that at all. Also I think a Greece region would definitely have different architecture. It has very distinct architectural styles both modern and ancient to use.

Also I just saw it is apparently open-world. I can not contain my excitement to see a European region done justice like this. I hope someday they remake Kalos in this style.

Someone pointed out the large building that potentially could be the region's Pokemon League resembles Barcelona's Sagrada Familia. Someone also noticed a map of Spain can be seen in the trailer. Also the starter English names kinda feel Spanish. I mean Fuecoco is similar to fuego. This is definitely a region based on Spain and I'm really excited to see more of the region.

• Staff
Yep - it seems like Spain is indeed all but officially confirmed.

If that's the case, I'd love to see locales that reference the influences of Muslim culture in the southern parts of Spain. Complete with La Mezquita at the center of a Cordobá-like city.

Yep - it seems like Spain is indeed all but officially confirmed.

If that's the case, I'd love to see locales that reference the influences of Muslim culture in the southern parts of Spain. Complete with La Mezquita at the center of a Cordobá-like city.
I was talking about this in another thread! Another reason I'm fine with it being Spain. I love Islamic architecture and art and I'm excited to see that represented in Pokemon.

There’s a few elements I hope we see.

The pink lake of Toravieja would make for a gorgeous habitat to visit. Whilst not raging pink in real life, imagine Flamingo-esque Pokémon around the shore, but the fact it is a pink salt lake could make for some really interesting Pokémon to be found inland rather than at sea. Imagine a “Spanish” Tentacruel that mellows when away from the ocean. It could also be a location for a special encounter.

I imagine there will be some reference to the Running of the Tauros festival in a Pampalona style city, and maybe even a festival of colours. But I do hope there’s a reference to UK migrants settling in certain areas, having a “Galar” inspired holiday town would be an amusing nod.

Truegreen7 immediately wondered if the region was based on Australia. Does anyone think it fits?
I don't think anything we've seen in the trailer even remotely points to Australia. Unless Truegreen7 was referring to that desert although Spain has a desert of its own called Tabernas. Spain also has palm trees, and there is a large structure apparently based on the Sagrada Família.

Heck yeah, Spain region! Now if only they would reveal the region name so I would know what to call Poké-Spanish.
A few summers ago, I went to Madrid and saw two art museums: the Reina Sofia and the Prado. Fun stuff. One of my favorite parts of XY was the museum, so I hope we get a museum like the Prado, Reina Sofia, or both.

I don't think anything we've seen in the trailer even remotely points to Australia. Unless Truegreen7 was referring to that desert although Spain has a desert of its own called Tabernas. Spain also has palm trees, and there is a large structure apparently based on the Sagrada Família.

Plus, they put a desert in Unova, which is based off of New York.

This is not Australia. Look at the city. It has a distinctively European Medieval gate and wall. Plus, there's Spanish architecture and the starters' names sound Spanish.

If this region is based on Spain and Portugal, isn't Spain right next to France, since Kalos region is based on France, not saying we're getting Kalos post-game, but rather connections, references, and/or characters return? Since it's open-world on Scarlet and Violet, I don't think GF can fit Kalos region (unless it's Kalos DLC, but like I said, I don't want to hype the kalos train again) in the cartridge space. This is just speculation.

Attachments

• map-of-france-spain.gif
    map-of-france-spain.gif
    298.9 KB · Views: 53
My first thought when I saw the footage was that it was Italy. But then when I saw the map in the protagonists' bedroom showing a squarish region I realized that probably wasn't the case.

Now I feel like that Starry Night painting in BDSP was probably a massive red herring to throw everybody off track. TrollFreak, indeed.

Not sure how I feel about a Spain region right now, TBH. I'm reserving judgment until we actually know more about the story, characters, and so on. I mean, I never would've guessed that Galar would crash & burn for me based solely on the fact that it was a UK region...

Guys, I live in Spain, and I definitely get Spanish vibes from this region. I think it is indeed Spain!

Personally, I would've preferred a return to Japan, or a region based on China or India. I'm kinda tired of them going to Europe so often. It's getting a bit repetitive. But Spain is still a great choice!

Also, on the bright side, if this is indeed Spain, they will probably have a part of the game based on Canary Islands, which are part of Spain, but technically Africa! I think that will be pretty awesome. I imagine Canary Islands could be our postgame DLC, kinda like Isle of Armor was for Galar.

Last edited:
although Spain has a desert of its own called Tabernas.
Today I learned there are deserts in Europe.

Also, now that you mention it... I thought Stonjourner looked out-of-place, but since it's based on standing stones, maybe the desert is close to Geosenge Town.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom