• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Region Speculation Thread

Speaking of subregions, how would this game adapt the Basque country? Or Catalonia? Or Aragon? Could the canary islands show up? Is it just Spain or the entire iberian peninsula?
I would certainly think so, I think people would go nuts if Euskadi and Catalonia did not show up especially (though it looks like Catalonia already is since we see the Sagrada Familia). As an Asturian-American and Vaqueira de Alzada, I would love to see Asturias, though a less popular tourist region. We might get to see Gijón or Oviedo. It would be incredible to see my people represented, I think I would cry, but it seems very unlikely.
I'm also looking forward to seeing Toledo, it seems like that would be a likely city to be represented! I lived there for a while and would love to see the Jewish and Muslim architecture! Also, though not in Toledo, the Alhambra!

Kind of a prediction? I'm thinking like the French in X and Y (I guess "Alola" kinda counts but not really). Personally, what I think would be cool would be if the west portion of the region uses Portuguese whilst the east portion uses Spanish. Adding to it, the Iberian Peninsula is right underneath France, French in Kalos, Spanish/Portuguese in this one? No?

I would love to see Asturias, though a less popular tourist region. We might get to see Gijón or Oviedo. It would be incredible to see my people represented, I think I would cry, but it seems very unlikely.
We live in the same place XDD

I honestly think we are going to be able to go to every nook and crany, even if they are no cities in some provinces, also, I don't think many people are talking about the balearic islands, which are some islands (who would know) that are actually nearear to Europe, than the Canarian Islands, whic, if you didn't know, is in the African continent, so it will prov be a DLC

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily get my hopes up for Kalos/Pokéspania connections. They had this opportunity with Kalos and Galar's inspirations being historical rivals for each other, but that was never touched upon.

I wouldn't necessarily get my hopes up for Kalos/Pokéspania connections. They had this opportunity with Kalos and Galar's inspirations being historical rivals for each other, but that was never touched upon.
By the same token, they did touch on the historical connections between Japan and Hawaii in SuMo. So it's a bit inconsistent across generations whether those sorts of things will impact areas and aspects of the games.

By the same token, they did touch on the historical connections between Japan and Hawaii in SuMo. So it's a bit inconsistent across generations whether those sorts of things will impact areas and aspects of the games.
At this point, I just think Game Freak is outright ashamed of Kalos.

nah - they just don't do tie regions together as strongly as Johto and Kanto anymore. that'd be pretty much the reason why there's no reference to Kalos in Galar and likely not Poke-Iberia either.
As I just said, they did reference the historical connection between Japan and Hawaii in SuMo. If not referencing Kalos in Gen VIII is evidence they won't do it in Gen IX, surely the references to Kanto in Gen VII can be held up as evidence in favor?

As I just said, they did reference the historical connection between Japan and Hawaii in SuMo. If not referencing Kalos in Gen VIII is evidence they won't do it in Gen IX, surely the references to Kanto in Gen VII can be held up as evidence in favor?
and then in that same generation they don't even note the historical connection between Hawaii and, you know, the US (vis-a-vis Unova). but then immediately prior to SM they make some weird connection between Hoenn and Kalos based off of virtually nothing. so, no, i don't think the fact that Alola acknowledges Japan is really evidence that Poke-Iberia would.

and then in that same generation they don't even note the historical connection between Hawaii and, you know, the US (vis-a-vis Unova). but then immediately prior to SM they make some weird connection between Hoenn and Kalos based off of virtually nothing. so, no, i don't think the fact that Alola acknowledges Japan is really evidence that Poke-Iberia would.
Unova isn't "the US," Unova is very narrowly New York City and the immediate Tri-State Area. As far as I am aware, migration from New York City is not a historically significant aspect of the demographic development of Hawaii.

To me, the Region's name does not have to sound the language of the country it's based on. Not only it's clearly based on both Iberian countries and not just Spain (still, it could refer to a word both languages have in common if they have at least one (I'm not saying that in a vile way, it's just that I don't know if both languages have at least one word in common)) but, aside from Alola, non-Japanese-based Regions' names do not reflect the official/most spoken language as Unova sounds nothing like English (neither in other languages), Kalos is based off an Ancient Greek word and I don't see Dynamax or Eternatus as a disease/sickness (and I don't think it was ever mentioned that Galarians see them like that, as Dynamax is more seen as a phenomenon and Eternatus as an event), so I don't think Galar's name reflects to that word meaning disease/sickness in Welsh and Scottish (no single part of Ireland is seen in Galar as it seems like it's based off Great Britain instead of the United Kingdom), and it definitely doesn't sound English either.

Last edited:
I always thought Galar sounded like valour, which fits with the knight motif, and there's one theory that Unova is a contraction of United States of America.

(Side-note: I always pronounced Unova as "un-OVER" because in Official Nintendo Magazine's review of Black and White, there was a paragraph with the header: "It's not over 'til it's Unova")

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom