• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Regional Counterparts

Sir Turtlelot

Fossil Expert
Reaction score
So out of both curiosity and as a means of brainstorming for a upcoming project I plan on doing, I want to know what pokemon do you guys consider to be regional counterparts. It could be as obvious as the different early birds/rodents, to the slightly less obvious Machop-Timburr connection, or even a bit far out there, such as Nidoran-Sandile.

Feel free to discuss/debate as to why or why not they should be considered counterparts, as all provided information will be useful to me.

Edit: Also, even though this is more for regional counterparts, discussing in-region counterparts is fine too.

Last edited:
All the Starters are regional counterparts of each other, but the Johto Starters are much more so to the Kanto Starters than any others.

Heracross-Pinsir, Meowth-Glameow, Sawk/Throh-Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee, Dragonite-Salamence, Magikarp-Feebas.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure more will come to mind when I get my coffee.

Btw, how is Sandile a counterpart to Nidoran? I'm afraid I don't see it.

The Grass-type version exclusives are considered regional counterparts, in my opinion. Both may be available in the same region, but they are not seen with each other most of the time. The ones I am talking about are Oddish - Bellsprout, Lotad - Seedot and Cottonee - Petilil. All of them are available at some point early-game, making them easy to pick up. Not only that, they have to use an evolution stone to reach their final evolution.

Even though I consider the Solosis like a parallel to the Gastly line, due to their Egg Group and how they develop their bodies (the first member is just a head, the second member grew hands and the third member grew feet), the game shows that the Litwick line is more of their counterparts due to where you find them (Litwick is found in Celestial Tower, and Gastly is at Lavender Tower), which are graveyard towers. However, I like how the Gothita line is actually a parallel to the Abra line, except that the former doesn't teleport away, which is great.

This may be arguable, but in a way, the Tao trio is a parallel to the original birds, because each member encompasses a common primary element (Fire, Ice, Electric) mixed with their shared typing. However, the Tao trio is a mixed parallel. Part of it is based on the original birds, for reasons I explained, and part of it is based on the super legendaries of creation like Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza. For this point, the base stats also function similarly, as the main duo (Kyogre & Groudon, Dialga & Palkia) have rearranged numbers, while the third is distributed in a more unique way (with different numbers).

Thanks for reading.

Rattata-Bidoof-Patrat-Zigzagoon(?)
Butterfree/Beedrill's lines - Beautifly/Dustox's lines
Pidgey-Pidove-Swellow-Spearow-Starly

Btw, how is Sandile a counterpart to Nidoran? I'm afraid I don't see it.
This one is a bit of a stretch to be honest. They share the common traits of being seen early, both in-game and in their respective regional dexes nad both have three stage evolutions, with the final stage being a bit of a powerhouse with a relatively strong movepool. The Whismur and Slakoff lines also have these traits. Admittedly, it's a bit of a long shot, I could very easily be wrong on it, but that comparison was really more to encourage more creative ideas, than actually promote the two as counterparts.

I agree with lots of what has been said. Here's my list (not at all complete):
Starters are all regional counterparts
specifically Piplup and Oshawott (by looks)
specifically Treecko and Snivy (by looks)
specifically Cyndaquil and Tepig (by looks, sort of)
specifically Torchick and Chimchar (by type)
Rattata / Sentret / Zigzagoon / Bidoof / Patrat (regional counterparts)
Spearow / Hoothoot / Taillow (regional counterparts by evolution)
Pidgey / Starly / Pidove (regional counterparts by evolution)
Pikachu / Pachirisu / Emolga (regional counterparts)
Pikachu / Marril (different type counterparts)
Pichu / Plusle and Minun (regional counterparts)
Growlithe and Houndour (regional counterparts)
Poocheyena and Lillipup (regional counterparts)
Larvitar and Bagon (regional counterparts)
Tauros and Miltank (sex-exclusive counterparts)
Tauros and Bouffalant (regional counterparts)
Lugia / Latios and Latias (regional counterparts)
Mew / Celebi / Jirachi / Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf / Victini (regional counterparts)
Dragonair and Milotic (by looks)
Mr. Mime and Jynx (sex-exclusive counterparts if Mr. Mime was male-only)

Non-standard:
Kokana (prototype) and Weedle
Happa (prototype) and Chikorita
Venustoise and the purple illusion Rayquaza (anime)
Blaziken and Latias (because of this)

Just for fun:
Marill and Pikablu (Pokégod)
Kage no Mushi (prototype) and Tricket (Pokégod)
Honouguma (prototype) and Pikared / Pikaflare / Flarachu (Pokégod)
Crystal Onix (anime) and Dimonix (Pokégod)
MissingNo. and Lugia (fourth legendary birds of the sea)
Emboar and pig-form Ganon (from Zelda)

Last edited:
There has always been some kind of Pikachu-related/cute electric type in every generation:
Pikachu - Marill (or Pichu) - Minun & Plusle - Pachirisu - Emolga

There is always an early encountered mammal that is normal type:
Ratatta - Sentret - Zigzagoon - Bidoof - Patrat

Always a bird-themed flying type that is seen fairly early:
Pidgey & Spearow - Hoothoot - Tailow - Starly - Pidove

Plus there is always a legendary trio:
Moltres, Zapdos & Articuno - Entei, Raikou & Suicune - Regirock, Registeel, Regice - Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie - Virizion, Terrakion, Cobalion

I would say that all of these are counterparts of each other in every generation. They're kind of like Generation Trends.

I've always seen Magikarp & Gyarados / Feebas & Milotic as regional counterparts.

I have to admit, I've really thought about this a whole lot. Some of the connections listed here make some sense, but some would make more sense if you looked at things like base stat totals and egg groups and availability in-game as well:

The Grass-type version exclusives are considered regional counterparts, in my opinion. Both may be available in the same region, but they are not seen with each other most of the time. The ones I am talking about are Oddish - Bellsprout, Lotad - Seedot and Cottonee - Petilil. All of them are available at some point early-game, making them easy to pick up. Not only that, they have to use an evolution stone to reach their final evolution.

Not to mention that each paring are version exclusives and all of there fully evolved forms have the same base stat total of 480.

Even though I consider the Solosis like a parallel to the Gastly line, due to their Egg Group and how they develop their bodies (the first member is just a head, the second member grew hands and the third member grew feet), the game shows that the Litwick line is more of their counterparts due to where you find them (Litwick is found in Celestial Tower, and Gastly is at Lavender Tower), which are graveyard towers. However, I like how the Gothita line is actually a parallel to the Abra line, except that the former doesn't teleport away, which is great.

If there is a better counterpart for Solosis, it would be the Ralts line (at least in Gen III when Gallade wasn't introduced). Both families are psychic types within the Amorphous group and are predominantly green colored. If anything both the Solosis family and the Gothita family have plenty in common with both the Abra and the Ralts family.

Anyway, as for my own observations, here's an interesting one:

Tynamo and its kin is similar to Pichu and its kin. Both of them start off being extremely weak, barely able to hold an electric charge. With enough patience with their training, they both evolve into decent electric Pokémon... But with the help of a Thunderstone, both Eelektrik and Pikachu evolve into an awesome Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom