• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

I've been looking at some of the underused Pokemon in the regional dexes and Pokemon that would fit the region and I think these ones would be good to see:

Venonat/Venomoth
Meowth/Persian
Ponyta/Rapidash
Tyrogue/Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan/Hitmontop
Koffing/Weezing
Scyther/Scizor
Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss
Sunkern/Sunflora
Phanpy/Donphan
Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
Shroomish/Breloom
Cacnea/Cacturne
Kricketot/Kricketune
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray
Cherubi/Cherrim
Glameow/Purugly
Blitzle/Zebstrika
Drillbur/Excadrill
Timburr/Gurdurr/Conkeldurr
Sewaddle/Swadloon/Leavanny
Scraggy/Scrafty
Deerling/Sawsbuck
Joltik/Galvantula
Klink/Klang/Klinklang
Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure
Karrablast/Escavalier
Shelmet/Accelgor
Pawniard/Bisharp
Litleo/Pyroar
Skiddo/Gogoat
Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash
Rockruff/Lycanroc
Sandygast/Palossand

I just compared all the generation rosters again and something that was in even more of them than fossils or early route grass types is a 2-stage Ground-type African animal. The only Gen which doesn't have that is Gen6.

I wonder what they will do this time. I'm hoping for a speedy Ground/Poison giant hog.

Here's all the old pokémon so far that you'll be able to catch in Sword/Shield:
Caterpie-Metapod-Buttefree
Pichu-Pikachu-Raichu
Cleffa-Clefairy-Clefable
Vulpix-Ninetales
Diglett-Dugtrio
Growlithe-Arcanine
Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
Onix-Steelix
Rhyhorn-Rhydon-Rhyperior
Magikarp-Gyarados
Munchlax-Snorlax
Hoothoot-Noctowl
Chinchou-Lantern
Wynaut-Wobbuffet
Wooper-Quagsire
Mantyke-Mantine
Sneasel-Weavile
Larvitar-Pupitar-Tyranitar
Wingull-Pelliper
Wailmer-Wailord
Budew-Roselia-Roserade
Trapinch-Viabrava-Flygon
Feebass-Milotic
Duskull-Dusclops-Dusknoir
Combee-Vesiquen
Bronzor-Bronzong
Riolu-Lucario
Hippopotas-Hippowdon
Snover-Abomasnow
Roggenrola-Boldore-Gigalith
Tympole-Palpitoad-Sesmitoad
Sawk
Minccino-Cinccino
Frillish-Jellicent
Axew-Fraxure-Haxorus
Golett-Golurk
Rufflet-Braivary
Deino-Zweilous-Hydreigon
Bunnelby-Diggersby
Pancham-Pangoro
Espurr-Meowstic
Swirlix-Slurpuff
Inkay-Malamar
Hawlucha
Bergmite-Avalugg
Grubbin-Charjabug-Vikavolt
Wishiwashi
Mudbray-Mudsdale
Stufful-Bewear
Bounsweet-Steenee-Tsareena

How's the regional dex so far?
Did i forget any?

And before you ask, no i'm counting the Charizard cause i always every previous starter and legendary are instantly absent, the only exception was X/Y (Kalos)

EDIT/UPDATE: Vulpix, Onix (which how did i forgot when i clearly saw Steelix), Combee, Bronzor, Bunnelby and Swirlix lines are all confirmed. With Swirlix because its there somewhere on wild pokémon page, with the others cause Serebii updated their to add them cause they saw, or in Onix's case i forgot to add them when i clearly saw Steelix as i've already said before.

EDIT/UPDATE 2: Wingull, who i just saw in a analysis breakdown
Okay, I gotta say that I love this list. Another chance to have my sweet little robo-babies in another game? Oh yes please. Just let them appear early and I'll be happy. (Though I'm a little confused as to why Sawk would be catchable but not Throh. That strikes me as odd, but oh well.)

I'm loving the fact that we're getting a Corvid Pokémon. Murkrow is cute but I want badass, to be honest. And I can deal with it being an arial taxi; it looks bulky enough to carry a person with no problems. Don't know if I'll catch one; it's still too early to tell.

So I've been taking a look at the type balances in the Galar Dex, and here's what we have so far:

Normal: Wooloo, Snorlax, Noctowl, Cincinno, Braviary, Diggersby, Bewear
Grass: Grookey, Eldegoss, Leafeon, Roserade, Abomasnow, Tsareena
Fire: Scorbunny, Charizard, Ninetales, Arcanine, Flareon
Water: Sobble, Drednaw, Gyarados, Vaporeon, Lanturn, Quagsire, Mantine, Pelipper, Waillord, Milotic, Seismitoad, Jellicent, Wishiwashi
Electric: Raichu, Jolteon, Lanturn, Vikavolt
Rock: Drednaw, Rhyperior, Tyrantitar, Gigalith
Ground: Dugtrio, Steelix, Rhyperior, Quagsire, Flygon, Hippowdon, Seismitoad, Golurk, Diggersby, Mudsdale
Flying: Corviknight, Charizard, Butterfree, Gyarados, Noctowl, Mantine, Pelipper, Vespiquen, Braviary, Hawlucha
Bug: Butterfree, Vespiquen, Vikavolt
Poison: Gengar, Roserade, Garbodor
Fighting: Gallade, Lucario, Sawk, Pangoro, Hawlucha, Bewear
Psychic: Espeon, Wobbuffet, Gardevoir, Gallade, Bronzong, Meowstic, Malamar
Ice: Glaceon, Weavile, Abomasnow, Vanilluxe, Avalugg
Ghost: Gengar, Dusknoir, Jellicent, Golurk, Mimikyu
Dragon: Flygon, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Goodra
Dark: Umbreon, Tyranitar, Weavile, Hydreigon, Pangoro, Malamar
Steel: Corviknight, Steelix, Bronzong, Lucario
Fairy: Clefable, Sylveon, Gardevoir, Slurpuff, Mimikyu

This is already more balanced than some regional dexes and we still don't even know all of the Pokemon yet. It's a little heavy in Water, Flying, and Ground right now, but beyond that, there seems to be a good mix of types. Ideally though, they'll want at least 6 families per type (for monotype teams and gym leader/Elite 4 rosters), and we don't quite have that yet. We're not that far off though, we still need the following:

1 Fire family
2 Electric families
2 Rock families
3 Bug families
3 Poison families
1 Ice family
1 Ghost family
2 Dragon families
2 Steel families
1 Fairy family

That's easily doable, hell they could fill that much with new Pokemon alone.

How do you know they are all in the dex? Didn't they show off old Pokémon in the XY and SM trailers that were not in the dex?

However it is technically possible that some evolutions could change due to regional variants and that some old mons might not return as they were previously known but with a new form.

I hope at least.

I checked on Serebii, and the Charmander-Charmeleon-Charizard line is in Sword and Shield. I hope Squirtle is in the game as I love Water-type. I got a feeling that we're may be getting another evolution of Eevee as it is an even-numbered generation. I would love to see the National Dex return after an absence in Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. And I would like to see a Water-type Ultra Beast in this game.

@Soki

Not sure, but did you forget about Eevee and Rhyperior?

Don't we all forget about Rhyperior

I somehow just....completely overlooked Eevee. I guess I'm so used to it being everywhere that my mind doesn't register it anymore :unsure:

Thanks for the heads up, have added them!

I checked on Serebii, and the Charmander-Charmeleon-Charizard line is in Sword and Shield. I hope Squirtle is in the game as I love Water-type. I got a feeling that we're may be getting another evolution of Eevee as it is an even-numbered generation. I would love to see the National Dex return after an absence in Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. And I would like to see a Water-type Ultra Beast in this game.

Tbf, it's only shown as Leon's Pokémon so I'm not 100% sure if we'll be able to have one. Would be kinda lame if we again get the Kanto starters in the game, they already did that in XY. We do have other starter sets you know, dear GameFreak D:<

I sure hope not. The Kanto starters were in the Johto and Kalos Pokédex while the other starters were in their own regional Dexes. If we have to fight Leon's Charizard, then I want to get the National Dex before I do. Besides, Charizard was an Alolan Ride Pokémon and it wasn't in the Alola Dex.

I sure hope not. The Kanto starters were in the Johto and Kalos Pokédex while the other starters were in their own regional Dexes. If we have to fight Leon's Charizard, then I want to get the National Dex before I do. Besides, Charizard was an Alolan Ride Pokémon and it wasn't in the Alola Dex.

I'm sorry to say this but I just checked Serebii.net and there will be no National Dex in Sword or Shield. And you might as well start praying that your favourite Pokemon is in the Galar Pokedex because if the Pokemon is not in the Galar Pokedex, then you are screwed because Pokemon HOME will only send Pokemon to Sword and Shield if its in the Galar Pokedex. It looks like Ruby/Sapphire all over again only worse.

I just realised something about the new Pokemon Impidimp. In my opinion, Impidimp looks like the devil who should've been introduced back in Generation VI when the National Dex numbers reached 666, but was given to the wrong Pokemon (Vivillon ended up getting 666). In case you want to know what Impidimp looks like, Impidimp - Serebii.net Pokédex Hub. Impidimp was robbed of its number by a butterfly.

How do you know they are all in the dex? Didn't they show off old Pokémon in the XY and SM trailers that were not in the dex?
With the news about Home able to transfer in SwSh only Pokémon in the Galar dex due to time restraint in working on new models and animations (as well as balance), I don’t see how that statement would work with showing Pokémon that are then not available in the Galar dex, and in practice not available in the games.

With the news about Home able to transfer in SwSh only Pokémon in the Galar dex due to time restraint in working on new models and animations (as well as balance), I don’t see how that statement would work with showing Pokémon that are then not available in the Galar dex, and in practice not available in the games.
You are right, but the statement was made before we knew about that.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom